WILSON VALDEZ (2nd Baseman) Wins Game with Scoreless 19th inning

OFFNY

After Danys Baez pitched 5 shutout innings out of the bullpen, the PHILLIES 4-1 had no more pitchers going into the 19th inning .......... so they called on 2nd Baseman Wilson Valdez to pitch a scoreless inning, so his teammates could win it with a sacrfice fly in the bottom half of the inning.

http://philly.stats.com/mlb/recap.asp?g=310525122&final=true

Fixed that for you.

Baez went five scoreless....that means I could have gotten guys on the Reds out last night. They'll start swinging the bats better soon!

Honestly though, I love games like these. Wilson Valdez has more wins than any of us will ever have in MLB. He'll have a great story to tell his grandkids.

Did anyone else see the end of the game? I was about to go to bed and noticed this game on in the 18th inning and decided to watch.

Valdez was naturally a little wild, but the guys in the booth were impressed by the fact that he was throwing 87-89 mph with his fastball throughout the inning. It was probably a combination of fatigue and the hopes of clobbering a non-pitcher, but it seemed to me the Reds batters in that inning were all swinging for the fences. All three of the outs took mighty swings and hit pop-ups.

Did anyone else see the end of the game? I was about to go to bed and noticed this game on in the 18th inning and decided to watch.

Valdez was naturally a little wild, but the guys in the booth were impressed by the fact that he was throwing 87-89 mph with his fastball throughout the inning. It was probably a combination of fatigue and the hopes of clobbering a non-pitcher, but it seemed to me the Reds batters in that inning were all swinging for the fences. All three of the outs took mighty swings and hit pop-ups.

Well, Votto's pop up went to the warning track in center. I thought he hit it out when it left the bat. It was a great ending, though, especially with that poor Reds reliever throwing 90 pitches in his first game up in the majors this year.

Well, Votto's pop up went to the warning track in center. I thought he hit it out when it left the bat. It was a great ending, though, especially with that poor Reds reliever throwing 95 pitches in his first game up in the majors this year.

Actually, it was his 4th appearance in the majors this year...... but as to your point, his (Carlos Fisher) overall statistics actually look great, and I'm sure that he impressed his manager with 5.67 innings of shutout ball in crunch time (extra innings) before the winning run scored on the sac fly. His ERA for the season is now 0.87, and I'm guessing that his gutty performance garnered a lot of respect from both his teammates and his manager. :)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=fisheca01&t=p&year=

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Or that any improvement would be slight. Because the scale doesn't go right from complete liability to good. Maybe you could have a person that is below average at something and have them improve to the point at which they were average.
    • You think he will improve but yet you think he will never be good?  So that means you must think he’s a complete liability now which discredits anything you say. 
    • In another world, Darell Hernaiz is kind of I guess having the same camp as Jackson Holliday...will he make the Club for Opening Day? For the AL Rookie of the Year race, it seems like OAK could drop the full 600 PA on Hernaiz if he thrives.     Tyler Soderstrom and Lawrence Butler both under-ed 130 AB but over-ed 45 days of service so I think they are out of the race. If correct, a Fangraphs Longenhagen question also suggests this CBA OAK may not even be eligible to be in the Top 10 of next year's draft, which would be prominent if they do something like lose 10 more games than anyone else in the league. 1:26 Billy G: In addition to all the relocation stuff for the A’s, they’ve really gotten screwed a bit with the draft lottery. Sixth pick in a draft that had five “first overall” types in most years. Now fourth in a weak draft. And if I’m reading the CBA correctly, they can’t pick top 10 next year regardless of how bad they are. Even if I stick with them to Vegas, is there any hope?     1:28 Eric A Longenhagen: Bro, it’s a sad situation. The people who work for that org in the front office, dev and scouting, as well as the players themselves, all deserve better. What must it be like to be Tyler Soderstrom or Gelof right now and know you’re going to spend the next couple of years grinding for its own sake. It could be career-altering for their young players to be in such a weird, awkward bind like that and attempt to motivate eacother just because.
    • Isn't there an advanced metric that measures the spin on the ball coming out of a pitcher's hand vs. the spin as the batted ball rockets past one's head?
    • I happened upon a quote (and I failed to find it for @Frobby sometime ago but the quote was something along the lines that he grew up playing 2B and felt most comfortable there and that he still considers himself a good 2B despite having played SS the last few years. I believe that quote was taken from him prior to him being drafted but again, I had to stop citing it because I can't find it. 
    • Dean Kremer in 2023 had 8.183 K per 9 innings.  His 2023 number is the 8th best K/9 inning for qualified pitchers in Orioles history.  Kyle Bradish had 8.964 K/9 which was good for 3rd best in Orioles history. 
    • I have stated that I believe that he will improve. 100% I think he will improve but I also do not believe that he is ever going to be the best defensive option at the position and on a team like the O's who have gone out of their way to prioritize defense up the middle, I just don't see him being the guy there unless they give him the Manny treatment at the end of his tenure with the O's and potentially market him to other teams as a SS for trade value. Eventually I think they can they stick him there if they absolutely have to do so and he won't butcher the position but he's not going to be a good defender. That's my feeling. Perhaps they eventually can live with the subpar D there if it increases his trade value when the time comes. Maybe he will shock me and improve enough to be good there. I doubt it...although David Eckstein had a long career as a SS in the majors despite MAJOR physical limitations and generally poor defense as a SS.. and he was not half the offensive player that JH is going to grow into. 
  • Popular Contributors