WILSON VALDEZ (2nd Baseman) Wins Game with Scoreless 19th inning

OFFNY

After Danys Baez pitched 5 shutout innings out of the bullpen, the PHILLIES 4-1 had no more pitchers going into the 19th inning .......... so they called on 2nd Baseman Wilson Valdez to pitch a scoreless inning, so his teammates could win it with a sacrfice fly in the bottom half of the inning.

http://philly.stats.com/mlb/recap.asp?g=310525122&final=true

Fixed that for you.

Baez went five scoreless....that means I could have gotten guys on the Reds out last night. They'll start swinging the bats better soon!

Honestly though, I love games like these. Wilson Valdez has more wins than any of us will ever have in MLB. He'll have a great story to tell his grandkids.

Did anyone else see the end of the game? I was about to go to bed and noticed this game on in the 18th inning and decided to watch.

Valdez was naturally a little wild, but the guys in the booth were impressed by the fact that he was throwing 87-89 mph with his fastball throughout the inning. It was probably a combination of fatigue and the hopes of clobbering a non-pitcher, but it seemed to me the Reds batters in that inning were all swinging for the fences. All three of the outs took mighty swings and hit pop-ups.

Did anyone else see the end of the game? I was about to go to bed and noticed this game on in the 18th inning and decided to watch.

Valdez was naturally a little wild, but the guys in the booth were impressed by the fact that he was throwing 87-89 mph with his fastball throughout the inning. It was probably a combination of fatigue and the hopes of clobbering a non-pitcher, but it seemed to me the Reds batters in that inning were all swinging for the fences. All three of the outs took mighty swings and hit pop-ups.

Well, Votto's pop up went to the warning track in center. I thought he hit it out when it left the bat. It was a great ending, though, especially with that poor Reds reliever throwing 90 pitches in his first game up in the majors this year.

Well, Votto's pop up went to the warning track in center. I thought he hit it out when it left the bat. It was a great ending, though, especially with that poor Reds reliever throwing 95 pitches in his first game up in the majors this year.

Actually, it was his 4th appearance in the majors this year...... but as to your point, his (Carlos Fisher) overall statistics actually look great, and I'm sure that he impressed his manager with 5.67 innings of shutout ball in crunch time (extra innings) before the winning run scored on the sac fly. His ERA for the season is now 0.87, and I'm guessing that his gutty performance garnered a lot of respect from both his teammates and his manager. :)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=fisheca01&t=p&year=

Archived