Morning topic #2: how did Tampa, Toronto and Boston do with all those early picks?

It was pretty painful watching Tampa, Toronto and Boston play musical chairs up there on the podium. How did they do relative to each other, and relative to the opportunity they had? Did any of them misplay their hand? Anyone they passed by multiple times who you are licking your chops hoping we can snag with the 64th pick?

Daniel Norris and Dillon Howard are two terrific HS arms that would be nice for BAL to grab.

Boston, Tampa and Toronto all did very, very well with their picks. Time will tell how these players develop, but none reached too deep (Tampa maybe on a couple, but they were players the Rays had ranked as legit Day 1 guys -- just weren't there on the "consensus" national board).

Boston was the killer, to me. Four picks is a lot, certainly. But they got fantastic players with each selection and put together a well balanced start to their class. Matt Barnes is a legit potential #3 with #2 upside. Swihart was the 6th best player on my board -- potential impact switch-hitting catcher. Then they added high floor Jackie Bradley Jr. (plus-plus center field defense and one of the best arms in the class) and Henry Owens (super projectable HS lhp). I had all four of these players as 1st Rounders.

TB and Toronto went a lot of HS kids...Going to be a little while until we see the impact of them but they did do is load the lower minors with a lot of talented kids.

Agree with Stotle about Boston though...What they did is really disheartening.

The Orioles continue to fall further back.

TB and Toronto went a lot of HS kids...Going to be a little while until we see the impact of them but they did do is load the lower minors with a lot of talented kids.

Agree with Stotle about Boston though...What they did is really disheartening.

The Orioles continue to fall further back.

Yeah, it's a real problem. By the way, there's something wrong with a system where you can sign a Type A free agent, lose a Type A free agent, and still come away ahead one draft pick. Whatever you think about anything else in this system, that is just plain stupid.

Yeah, it's a real problem. By the way, there's something wrong with a system where you can sign a Type A free agent, lose a Type A free agent, and still come away ahead one draft pick. Whatever you think about anything else in this system, that is just plain stupid.

Of course its stupid...but the good teams still take advantage of it.

Of course its stupid...but the good teams still take advantage of it.

You have to have some Type A free agents, to start with. The O's haven't had very good fortune with guys having big seasons in their walk years.

Has Norris priced himself out of the Orioles range? I read on here that Keith Law said he was rumored to have wanted $4 mil to sign. And the word I've gotten on the streets here at home is that he's ready to go to Clemson if he doesn't get his payday.

I will promise the O's this: Should they take him in the second round, I will promptly go down to the bike shop owned and operated by Norris' dad and begin lobbying efforts for him to sign. I'll even buy a new bike if it takes it.

I wonder what MacPhail would say about this? That draft picks are too risky and not worth the investment, like he said about the international market???

What a joke.

I could see the benefit in limiting your risk in the rule 4 draft if you have a plan that allows you to sign top tier FA's and spin them off to other teams at the deadline picking up prospects that have now already proven something and removed some of the question marks / risk. Unfortunately I can't say we have a GM that operates that way.

Yeah, as excited as I am to have both Bundys in our system, I can't help but be bitter about what our competitors were able to do yesterday. Sure we got to add a new guy to our top-10, but Red Sox and Rays essentially just drafted a completely new top-10.

You create your own luck.

Well, yes and no. There is definitely some skill involved in looking for guys who may garner you picks and not holding on to them too long. But when guys like Grant Balfour get you two picks, that's pretty lucky.

I would definitely curb the ability of the top teams and the top payroll teams to net extra picks.

Archived