6/22 at Pirates

Saintbird

Their offensive WARs are pretty close.

McCutchen has an offensive WAR of 2.7.........Jones's is 2.1.

It's the defensive side that is really different.

McCutchen has a dWar of 1.4. Jones's is -1.6 .

On the surface that seems pretty harsh........saying that Jones has cost us about 1.5 games on defense compared to a replacement level CFer.....but that's what it says.

Their offensive WAR is actually pretty close: 2.1 for Jones, and 2.7 for McCutchen (if I'm remembering right from when I checked). But McCutchen has a 1.4 defensive WAR, while Jones's is negative.

So your analysis actually was pretty solid, based only on offense - they're similar but McCutchen has a slight edge, porbably because of walks.

This is another reason why I think current defensive metrics are inadequate at best and suck at worst. I will concede that a 20+ advantage in walks is significant. But any metric that has Jones as a below average defender (not saying he's great, but he is above average) is ridiculous.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Their offensive WARs are pretty close.

McCutchen has an offensive WAR of 2.7.........Jones's is 2.1.

It's the defensive side that is really different.

McCutchen has a dWar of 1.4. Jones's is -1.6 .

On the surface that seems pretty harsh........saying that Jones has cost us about 1.5 games on defense compared to a replacement level CFer.....but that's what it says.

Britton is seriously the king of unearned runs. It feels like there is at minimum 1 on each of his starts...

Perhaps he shouldn't allow the 7-8-9 hitters to do whatever they want against him then. If he takes care of business no runs score. He has no excuse, IMO. Pitch better.

Maybe we can put the actual "bench" at second base.

Ha Ha... couldn't field any worse than Andino. Maybe we can get some kind of stationary V-shaped structure there and position it in a way where it can ricochet direct towards second or first on a groundball in that general direction.

Archived