Jeffrey Maier on the Fangraphs Podcast

isestrex

Believe it or not, there are a couple of people that are even more nauseating than Maier himself ...... his parents.

I'm sure that most of you know that George Steinbrenner immediately arranged for Maier to have free box seat tickets to the very next game of that ALCS (Game Two). That day, the commentators on WFAN in New York got his father on the phone. To their credit, Mike and the Mad Dog both confronted him about accepting free box seat tickets to a playoff game for his kid as a "reward" for behavior that would otherwise get you ejected from the game. They asked him, "Mr. Maier, don't you think that it's wrong for your kid to be rewarded for interfering with a crucial play in a post-season game ?" Mr. Maier responded by saying "Why can't my kid go to the game ?" Francesca and Russo again confronted him: "Mr. Maier, that isn't the point. Your kid can go to the game like everyone else, but why should he be rewarded with free box seat tickets for interfering with a play ? Other parents' kids should be able to go to the game. They didn't do anything wrong. Why shouldn't they get free tickets ? You're his parent. What exactly are you teaching your kid by accepting this "reward" for interfering with a play in a post-season game?" Mr. Maier simply repeated his nonsensical "Why can't my kid go to the game?"

Not only did Mr. Maier essentially condone what his kid did, he didn't even have the courage to come out and admit it when confronted on the air. To me, he was even more of a weasel than his kid.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That host sounds like he should be working for a classical music radio station.

"Without further adieu, I present to you our interview with one Mr. Jeffrey Maier. In the key of A sharp."

Carson Cistulli is the host and he would be the worst thing to happen to Fangraphs ever if their other writers weren't so !@#$ing awful.

Believe it or not, there are a couple of people that are even more nauseating than Maier himself ...... his parents.

I'm sure that most of you know that George Steinbrenner immediately arranged for Maier to have free box seat tickets to the very next game of that ALCS (Game Two). That day, the commentators on WFAN in New York got his father on the phone. To their credit, Mike and the Mad Dog both confronted him about accepting free box seat tickets to a playoff game for his kid as a "reward" for behavior that would otherwise get you ejected from the game. They asked him, "Mr. Maier, don't you think that it's wrong for your kid to be rewarded for interfering with a crucial play in a post-season game ?" Mr. Maier responded by saying "Why can't my kid go to the game ?" Francesca and Russo again confronted him: "Mr. Maier, that isn't the point. Your kid can go to the game like everyone else, but why should he be rewarded with free box seat tickets for interfering with a play ? Other parents' kids should be able to go to the game. They didn't do anything wrong. Why shouldn't they get free tickets ? You're his parent. What exactly are you teaching your kid by accepting this "reward" for interfering with a play in a post-season game?" Mr. Maier simply repeated his nonsensical "Why can't my kid go to the game?"

Not only did Mr. Maier essentially condone what his kid did, he didn't even have the courage to come out and admit it when confronted on the air. To me, he was even more of a weasel than his kid.

His parents should be prison..for LIFE without Parole!!!

I was determined to ignore this thread, but feel compelled to reply. Perhaps my understanding of the situation is limited, so there is that, but I can't for the life of me understand how grown adults can have actual hatred in their hearts for a 12-year old kid. He should be about 27 now, and I wouldn't even consider treating him any different than any other human being I would ever meet... as the anger over a blown call by an umpire 15 years ago doesn't equate into hating a kid. Sure his parents could have handled the situation much better, and sure the media shouldn't have glorified the interference, but let me ask you this: If Jeffrey were your kid, or friend, wouldn't you want the sadness that was caused to the other team and their fans be forgiven? It was a terrible decision that still haunts Orioles fans, but I think the time for letting the negativity and hatred for Maier go away-- is well past due.

"The apple never falls far from the tree". An age old quote that holds true even to this day.

I was determined to ignore this thread, but feel compelled to reply. Perhaps my understanding of the situation is limited, so there is that, but I can't for the life of me understand how grown adults can have actual hatred in their hearts for a 12-year old kid. He should be about 27 now, and I wouldn't even consider treating him any different than any other human being I would ever meet... as the anger over a blown call by an umpire 15 years ago doesn't equate into hating a kid. Sure his parents could have handled the situation much better, and sure the media shouldn't have glorified the interference, but let me ask you this: If Jeffrey were your kid, or friend, wouldn't you want the sadness that was caused to the other team and their fans be forgiven? It was a terrible decision that still haunts Orioles fans, but I think the time for letting the negativity and hatred for Maier go away-- is well past due.

I can't speak for anyone on this board but myself. So here is my take. I have NEVER hated Jeffery for what he did. I had no hatred for the RF Ump for blowing the call. My displeasure is with the Ump not asking for help on the play. The Yankees for boasting and promoting the bad behavior and finally the parents for condoning this activity and not using it as a teaching moment. Also a little dismayment toward the Orioles for wasting a draft pick on this guy.

Almost everything that you said is very plausible.

If I were his parent, I would not want my kid hated for life, BUT ....... there is no way that I would have accepted free box-seat tickets for the next game. It wouldn't even be tempting. It wouldn't be a decision at all. In fact, I would tell my kid that he couldn't go to any games for a year.

And there is one major flaw with your defense of Maier. Unlike Steve Bartmann, who has and continues to do everything that he possibly can to avoid the press and essentially has made himself a public hermit, Maier keeps coming back, giving interviews, and milking the situation. As you stated, he isn't 12 years-old any more, he's a grown man, and he can't hide behind the "Gee, I'm just a kid" defense anymore. He is a 27 year-old grown man, and he continues bringing attention to himself for this (baseball) injustice. If he continues to rub salt into old wounds with his accepting of his "celebrity" status because of something wrong that he did 15 years ago, then he is in fact asking for more hate to be brought upon himself by Oriole fans. Apparently, the "hatred" that he is still receiving doesn't seem to bother him very much. He's making his own bed of his own free will, so now he needs to sleep in it.

No offense....but WE DISAGREE!

If I were his parent, I would not want my kid hated for life, BUT ....... there is no way that I would have accepted free box-seat tickets for the next game. It wouldn't even be tempting. It wouldn't be a decision at all. In fact, I would tell my kid that he couldn't go to any games for a year.

But there is one major flaw with your defense of Maier. Unlike Steve Bartmann, who has and continues to do everything that he possibly can to avoid the press and essentially has made himself a public hermit, Maier keeps coming back, giving interviews, and milking the situation. As you stated, he isn't 12 years-old any more, he's a grown man, and he can't hide behind the "Gee, I'm just a kid" defense anymore. he is a 27 year-old grown man, and he continues bringing attention to himself for this baseball injustice. If he continues to rub salt into old wounds with his accepting of his "celebrity" status because of something wrong that he did 15 years ago, then he is in fact asking for more hate to be brought upon himself by Oriole fans. Apparently, the "hatred" that he is still receiving doesn't seem to bother him very much. He's making his own bed of his own free will, so now he needs to sleep in it.

We agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!:mad:

Why wont he go away????:confused:

He is Satan!!!:angryfire:

Cindy, I don't think that he is Satan. That was Gregg's point, and that is why I agree with most of what Gregg said. This is what I think of him. I think that he had bad parenting, and it shows ...... not only back then in 1996, but now that he is a grown man. He is 27 years-old now, and like a child, he continues to deny that the ball would have easily been caught. My biggest issue is not what happened in that game 15 years ago. My issue is with his parents' past behavior (accepting free tickets for doing something wrong), and with his current behavior (he's not a child anymore, but he continues to act like a child).

I didn't think that he nor his parents were Satan then, and I don't think that they are Satan now. I think that he was a spoiled kid with parents that didn't have much character. And I think the (now) young man doesn't have much character now, with his continued embellishment of the whole situation. But Jeffrey Maier and his parents are far from Satan.

Patrick (Oriole Fan From New York)

And there is one major flaw with your defense of Maier. Unlike Steve Bartmann, who has and continues to do everything that he possibly can to avoid the press and essentially has made himself a public hermit, Maier keeps coming back, giving interviews, and milking the situation. As you stated, he isn't 12 years-old any more, he's a grown man, and he can't hide behind the "Gee, I'm just a kid" defense anymore. He is a 27 year-old grown man, and he continues bringing attention to himself for this (baseball) injustice. If he continues to rub salt into old wounds with his accepting of his "celebrity" status because of something wrong that he did 15 years ago, then he is in fact asking for more hate to be brought upon himself by Oriole fans. Apparently, the "hatred" that he is still receiving doesn't seem to bother him very much. He's making his own bed of his own free will, so now he needs to sleep in it.

From Wiki...

In 2006, he became Wesleyan's career hits leader and was featured on ESPN. The New York Times reported that Maier hoped for a career in baseball. That spring, the Washington Post and MLB.com reported that, ironically, the Baltimore Orioles might draft him—though the team denied ever having an interest in him. Maier was also invited to a tryout for a number of prospects, held by the New York Yankees. However, he was not selected by any team in the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft. Maier worked in the summer of 2006 as a scout in the Cape Cod League for ESPN's Peter Gammons and also as an instructor for Frozen Ropes Baseball Training Center. Maier has since become a special consultant for the New Haven County Cutters. He has had several internships, including with the YES Network, and had several interviews (according to The New York Times) with MLB teams at baseball's winter meetings in search of a front-office job.

As I said earlier, his parents should have handled themselves better, but that cannot be attributed to Jeffrey. Regarding his seeking attention and 'milking' the situation, I don't see it that way at all. It appears that there have only been a handful of interviews conducted, and almost certainly not ones that he went looking for. He loves the game and wants to be a part of it... so granting an occasional interview doesn't scream 'attention seeker' to me. We agree about his folks, but I guess we see his actions as an adult somewhat differently. Regardless, I appreciate your views on the matter.

Cindy, I don't think that he is Satan. That was Gregg's point, and that is why I agree with most of what Gregg said. This is what I think of him. I think that he had bad parenting, and it shows ...... not only back then in 1996, but now that he is a grown man. He is 27 years-old now, and like a child, he continues to deny that the ball would have easily been caught. My biggest issue is not what happened in that game 15 years ago. My issue is with his parents' past behavior (accepting free tickets for doing something wrong), and with his current behavior (he's not a child anymore, but he continues to act like a child).

I didn't think that he nor his parents were Satan then, and I don't think that they are Satan now. I think that he was a spoiled kid with parents that didn't have much character. And I think the (now) young man doesn't have much character now, with his continued embellishment of the whole situation. But Jeffrey Maier and his parents are far from Satan.

Patrick (Oriole Fan From New York)

I don't necessarily agree with all you say here, but do appreciate the manner in which you replied to Cindy. "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OFFNY again."

Yep, I've never been as angry about a sporting event as I was with that POS. What was even worse was the way the city celebrated that little piece of trash. Just thinking about it makes me furious.
Something bad will happen to that punk in his life. Glad he stinks at baseball.

Archived