Yay or Nay: Wearing Your Team's Gear...

Oriology

...at another MLB game in which they are not playing. Last night in Pittsburgh (in a game vs. the Brewers), I saw one guy decked out in Tigers gear and two other Yankee fans (who barely looked up from their iPhones the whole game :rolleyestf:). I've never known the official etiquette on this, but I've always found it somewhat lame. To me, you either root for a team that's playing at the stadium or just spectate neutrally...what say you?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking about this, because in a week or so I'm going to SF to see Giants vs. Cubs. I thought I could wear my O's cap, because at first glance it might look like a SF cap because of the colors. But SF division rival Dbacks are my NL team and they lead the west right now, so I could represent in my Dbacks cap, too. Then there's that whole notion that it's lame to wear stuff from a team that's not playing thing to think about, so I don't know.

Maybe I'll just wear an O's or Dbacks t-shirt? Took a trip to Fenway last year, Indians were playing, but I still wore my O's t-shirt. I do have an authentic Orioles alternate jersey, but I think that would definitely be way too much. That's reserved for actual Orioles games, which I don't get to see very often being out west, but I did make it a point to wear it at this years ASG.

I always wear my Orioles gear, no matter who is playing. My brother Pete is a Mets fan, and he has taken me to games at Shea Stadium on numerous occasions when the Orioles weren't playing. I also went to see the Yankees and the D-Rays in 2008 at Yankees Stadium, the year that the Rays won the pennant ....... in my Orioles gear.

I think it depends on the stadium and the city. When I went to Philadelphia last year I wouldn't have dared even thought about wearing anything O's related. If I go to Pittsburgh in a week or so, I'd probably do the same. More often than not I just try to blend in with the crowd where I'm at.

All it does is draw attention to yourself. Especially if you are a Yankess, Red Sox, Steelers or Lakers fan. People would probably laugh at you wearing O's gear to a non-O's game, but hey, go for it.

I've never worn O's gear to another baseball game. When I was at a Pirates/Nats game a couple years ago I dressed in regular clothes. Although now I would probably dress in Nats gear. :D

I don't deck myself out in O's gear, but an O's cap is part of my usual attire, so I often attend BoSox/PawSox games with it on. It's not like I get ready to go to a game in which they're not playing and make sure to wear as much O's stuff as possible.

All it does is draw attention to yourself.

Especially if you are a Yankess, Red Sox, Steelers or Lakers fan. People would probably laugh at you wearing O's gear to a non-O's game, but hey, go for it.

I've never worn O's gear to another baseball game. When I was at a Pirates/Nats game a couple years ago I dressed in regular clothes. Although now I would probably dress in Nats gear. :D

Right, Sean. And drawing negative attention to yourself is something that you avoid at all costs, right ???

Right, Sean. And drawing negative attention to yourself is something that you avoid at all costs, right ???

How do I do that when we are discussing the worst team in the AL?

What about people who discuss bad movies? Is someone saying Battlefield Earth is one of the worst movies of the last 50 years drawing negative attention to themselves or are they stating a very widely held opinion? How about bad restaurants?

You are failing to grasp this.

Archived