Yay or Nay: Wearing Your Team's Gear...

Oriology

I don't deck myself out in O's gear, but an O's cap is part of my usual attire, so I often attend BoSox/PawSox games with it on. It's not like I get ready to go to a game in which they're not playing and make sure to wear as much O's stuff as possible.

Right - pretty much my sentiments exactly.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do I do that when we are discussing the worst team in the AL ?

What about people who discuss bad movies? Is someone saying Battlefield Earth is one of the worst movies of the last 50 years drawing negative attention to themselves or are they stating a very widely held opinion? How about bad restaurants?

You are failing to grasp this.

Because you don't simply "discuss" the Orioles' losing and the Orioles' sucky play, Sean. You constantly make negative threads daily as though you were trying to break some kind of record for the number of times that you can point out the obvious to everyone (that the Orioles suck this season). A good number of other posters who criticize the Orioles and the Oriole players regularly (including myself) have pointed this out to you, yet you continue to childishly fill the board with your "sky is blue" lamenting ... even going so far as to brag that you were getting under our skin. That is how you draw negative attention to yourself.

Because you don't simply "discuss" the Orioles' losing and the Orioles' sucky play, Sean. You constantly make negative threads daily as though you were trying to break some kind of record for the number of times that you can point out the obvious to everyone (that the Orioles suck this season). A good number of other posters who criticize the Orioles and the Oriole players regularly (including myself) have pointed this out to you, yet you continue to childishly fill the board with your "sky is blue" lamenting ... even going so far as to brag that you were getting under our skin. That is how you draw negative attention to yourself.

I said that once, in jest. Come on.

Look up some of my recent posts. I am talking about this team without being a Debbie Downer. You fail to see it. And if you don't like what I say, feel free to put me on ignore.

That said, I like you OFFNY. I admire your positivity and pride at being an O's fan during the darkest hours (years) of this franchise. But I can't be that guy. I can't be close to that guy. Maybe being around for the glory years helps make this easier, I don't know. But I grew up at a time when the Orioles were perennial doormats, had 2 good seasons in the late 90's, and then went on the on-going 14 year-long era of pure disgrace.

To expect anything else of me, or someone like me, is asking a lot of someone. Some can look past the Orioles and see their love of baseball, some can't. I love baseball, but the Orioles have basically killed it for me.

The next WBC can't come soon enough.

I don't see the point in wearing a non-competing team's gear to a game, regardless of the sport. I would just wear regular clothing with a competition-neutral color scheme.

Well, oddly, I'm very proud to be an O's fan. So I like that my hat identifies me as such. But as others have said, I don't see the point in getting yourself all decked out.

Yes I suppose one article of clothing (a hat or t-shirt) plus a non-confrontational attitude is acceptable. I suppose my ire was precipitated by the Tigers fan who looked like he was amping up for game 7 of the World Series and the two obnoxious Yankee fans. That said, I will probably still stick to my neutral clothing routine, as I prefer to root for the home team at a game if at all possible.

I personally don't wear anything O's if I go to a non-O's game. I always make fun of people that do that at O's games (or even other sports' jerseys like LeBron or NFL) so why would I be a hypocrite? Since I'm in Cincinnati, I bought a Mike Leake jersey to fit in, but that's all.

I guess I'd be OK with wearing an O's cap, but anything "loud" I wouldn't wear.

When I went to Cleveland earlier this season, I wore an Indians cap to the game (against Pittsburgh) because...I had an Indians cap. Otherwise I would have worn my Orioles cap. I don't think anyone would have an issue there.

I wouldn't have worn a cap and jersey and anything else I had Orioles-related, though. There's a point where it goes from wearing what you normally do to support your team to actively trying to annoy people.

I don't understand the concern. In four decades of attending live sporting events, it is commonplace. I thinknit would be strange to NOT see fans wearing gear that has nothing to do with game. Ther is a substantial number of displaces fans, or folks who like more than one team. I love baseball, I love the O's, I am wearing my gear to a Rockies-Astros game and finding Yankee and Bosox fans all over the place. No biggie.

-Don

I don't see a problem with it, however I also don't do it beyond a hat.

Baseball attire at a baseball game is ALWAYS appropriate. I went to a minor league game tonight (go tri-city valley cats!) and I must have seen gear from 10 or so different major league teams (including some pre-2000 or so Devil rays gear) I think people just want to break out and wear their gear when going to games because well, it's a baseball game.

Those clowns that show up decked out in football or basketball attire however...:rolleyestf:

It used to bug the heck out of me but I've become desensitized to it from living in this region where you can go to any sporting event under the sun and see someone with a Sox or Yankees hat/jersey on. I went to a Rockies/Nats game a few years ago in Colorado and wore my O's hat.

Archived