Phillies sign Papelbon

Brendan25

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're selling out every game, so they might be able to afford this payroll for a while but they are really going about things foolishly.

At least we don't have to see that mouth that looks like a clenched butthole anymore.

That offensive core is getting really old. They need to be improving on the offensive side.

That offensive core is getting really old. They need to be improving on the offensive side.

Yep, that contract to Howard was really dumb. Utley is a shell of himself. Rollins' lack of patience is becoming more obvious as he doesn't hit for avg or power as much. They're the complete opposite of what they used to be.

Updated Nov 11, 2011 10:33 PM ET

The Philadelphia Phillies have reached agreement with free-agent closer Jonathan Papelbon on a four-year deal with a vesting option for 2016, a major-league source told FOXSports.com.

HOT STOVE

The deal is worth $50 million for four years but could go beyond $60 million with the vesting option.

Have the Phillies lost their minds?

Great deal.

I mean...not for the Phillies. I'm happy to see them do something insanely stupid.

Yeah, but now the Red Sox get the Phillies' first round pick! Arghhh!!!!! And then another sandwich pick. This is straight out of the Raiders' playbook.

Yeah, but now the Red Sox get the Phillies' first round pick! Arghhh!!!!! And then another sandwich pick. This is straight out of the Raiders' playbook.
The best we can hope for throughout all of this is that the Red Sox decide to sign Heath Bell.

Actually the best we can hope for is that the CBA is changed so that the the gaining team doesn't give up a draft pick and the losing team just gets the sandwich pick.

I'd actually like to see the compensation rule changed so that teams like the Red Sox don't gain an advantage in it. If you lose a FA, who was not originally drafted by your organization, you get nothing. You could tinker that that but it should protect teams that develop players and then lose them because they can't afford them, not teams who lose 3 FA's and sign 4 big money ones.

I would like to see teams not lose picks for signing free agents unless they have received additional picks for someone signing one of theirs. An example, the Sox would get a sandwich pick for losing Paps but then would lose that pick if they sign Madson. This would also help maintain the value of second round picks.

Archived