O's talking to Rick Peterson abot MiL pitching coordinator position (update: Peterson hired)

Frobby

Right...In some ways, I would think the MiL pitching coordinator would be the bigger role...that is if you are allowed to implement YOUR ideas and have everyone do what you want.

You get to build the entire organization.

You hit the nail on the head. Plus your home base is Florida year around. You can't beat that if you want some kind of normalcy with your family during baseball season.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You hit the nail on the head. Plus your home base is Florida year around. You can't beat that if you want some kind of normalcy with your family during baseball season.

Well, hopefully Petersen agrees and the Orioles put the money on the table they need to.

DD stressed the importance of this, so maybe he can convince PA how important this is.

I've heard him speak several times. I actually stole a drill from him. I don't know if he still does this or not but, when he was with the A's he would have his pitchers throw their last five bull pen throws blind folded. He did that to get them to trust their mechanics. The thinking is that if you can throw strikes blind folded then you are clearly repeating your mechanics. I know several college coaches who have used this drill the kids love it.

I've heard him speak several times. I actually stole a drill from him. I don't know if he still does this or not but' date=' when he was with the A's he would have his pitchers throw their last five bull pen throws blind folded. He did that to get them to trust their mechanics. The thinking is that if you can throw strikes blind folded then you are clearing repeating your mechanics. I know several college coaches who have used this drill the kids love it.[/quote']

It's a nightmare when you're catching that drill :)

If they give Peterson the clout and the money in this position it could be a Godsend. The O's have obviously been remiss in developing pitching talent in the MiL. It makes sense that a guy like Peterson would be the guy to structure the pitching philosophy in the org. and a guy like Adair who poesn't have the same profile, as the ML pitching coach.

P.S. Like everyone else, I'd love to have Peterson in the organization somewhere. I hated it when Mazzone left and I hated it when Kranitz left. Get this guy in here. He's proven he's special and he effects how pitchers pitch in a positive sense.

Is this position even currently open on the Orioles? Doesn't Scotty McGreggor currently hold that title?

Are we in any position to say any position in our organization is held comfortably? Especially one in the minor league ranks? If Duquette has the control that he's displaying currently, an organizational shake up could be in order.

It is only my opinion, but the ability to mentor our young pitching as they progress to the majors is more important than working with them once they get here. I would not consider the offer a slap in the face as both jobs impact our pitchers. The Orioles were smart to offer him a position as you never know what will happen until you try. That being said, if the Red Sox are considering him to be their pitching coach than I suspect that he will take the offer if it is made.

Isn't one of Peterson's biggest legacies as the guy who helped Mulder, Zito, and Hudson? Perhaps Peterson could be that to the Bundy brothers and our other pitching prospects. We do need to develop our pitchers better so they're ready once they get here. But I gotta think Peterson would want the PC position.

Archived