O's aggressively going after Chen Wei-Yin

wellsk86

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pleased with these efforts - even if Wada is destined for the 'pen. Chen would be a very nice, relatively low-cost addition with decent upside. I'm concerned about his 2011 numbers, but not overly, particularly if they're at the root of a discount.

I agree the dip in velocity is disconcerting but the O's are not going to get any decent MLB free agent pitchers to come here without severe overpays so it makes sense to tap the Asian market.

I agree the dip in velocity is disconcerting but the O's are not going to get any decent MLB free agent pitchers to come here without severe overpays so it makes sense to tap the Asian market.

Exactly. If MLB pitchers won't take our money then sign international players. It seems so obvious.

BTW Chen was battleing some nagging injuries last year , which may have contributed to a decline in his velocity.

I guess I'm so use to being let down the past 14 years that I have a hard time getting excited about this guy and Wada. I just think that there is about a 10% chance they are effective in the AL East(let alone MLB). I just have a hard time believing soft tossing, junk ballers are going to get the likes of the MFY and Red Sux line ups out. Maybe the first time around but not the rest of the time.

As far as it opening up the possibility for future International signings I understand the thought but let's be honest, if there is a player that will make an impact in the Majors he's going to end up in Boston or New York.

Archived