O's aggressively going after Chen Wei-Yin

wellsk86

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aren't the Jays operating within a budget of some kind? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else...

I dunno...I'd love to see us win out on Darvish AND get Chen! Deal Guts for prospects, and you'd still have plenty of starting pitching depth:

Darvish

Arrieta

Britton

Chen

Wada

Matusz

Hunter

I'd even contemplate signing a low-cost innings-eater as well.

Yeah, good point! But you'd probably have to go back to Taiwanese citizens born prior to WW2, as you say.

The Japanese Empire controlled Taiwan from 1895 until the end of WWII. Since the end of the Chinese Revolution (c. 1950) Taiwan claims its own sovereignty, but China claims it as its own. It's a strange diplomatic setup.

The blurb I read said the Yankees and Red Sox are on the sidelines because of reprocussions from the Luxury Tax under the new CBA.

Was that the WP article regarding the Nat's interest in Darvish?

The New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, typically the sport’s biggest spenders, will likely stay on the sideline, in part because of harsher punishments for surpassing the luxury tax threshold in the new collective bargaining agreement.

I don't buy into that last paragraph, unless they include the posting fee as part of their salary. The Red Sox already lost a good deal of salary b/n Drew, Cameron & Papelbon and they were already under the cap. The Yankees are another case, but Darvish is actually a good example for them to target. He is going to be cheaper against their salary caps per year than any other options (e.g. CJ Wilson, who was ignored by them), since the posting fee will drive down his annual salary.

We shall find out soon enough

I don't buy into that last paragraph, unless they include the posting fee as part of their salary. The Red Sox already lost a good deal of salary b/n Drew, Cameron & Papelbon and they were already under the cap. The Yankees are another case, but Darvish is actually a good example for them to target. He is going to be cheaper against their salary caps per year than any other options (e.g. CJ Wilson, who was ignored by them), since the posting fee will drive down his annual salary.

We shall find out soon enough

Red Sox beat reporters have tweeted that the Red Sox didn't bid.

Chen Wei-Yin would be a great signing for us. I wonder if it would impact the possible acquisition of Floyd or foster a Guthrie trade? I'm not even sure that both Chen and Wada would stick in a ML rotation yet.

The goal of DD has to be to get to a point where he can deal Guthrie for the best package of players. Those players shouldn't need to be ML ready and this holds true for pitchers as well IMO. Trying to get Floyd for Guthrie doesn't make much sense if you are the White Sox. Guthrie is not cheap and neither is Floyd. Both guys practically put up the same numbers in 2011 as well. Floyd is younger and has a higher upside at this point. I think that the Orioles should target enough pitching to bring a couple more starters in and move Guts for a solid package of young players that do not need to be within a stones throw of the majors.

How would that conversation go?

DD: Hey you old sailor you, I figured that you might be interested in Guthrie because you need a quality pitcher to slot into the middle of your rotation and Guthrie is a good #3 starter.

GM: I sure do and Guthrie is a guy who interests me. Which of my guys do you like? I am not saying I would give up a ton for Guthrie, but there is no denying that Guts could make my club better while saving me from looking at free agency to sign a starter on a 1 or 2 year deal.

DD: Well I need pitching too so how about a Guthrie for a Floyd type swap?

GM: So we are going to swap starters? How does that improve my rotation or save me money in 2012? I am pretty sure that I could move Guthrie later in the year if things didn't go as I had expected and land a quality prospect or two. Would you be willing to take a couple prospects who were more than a year from the majors or prospects who didn't pitch?

DD: No can do, tell the family I said hello.

I think that the Orioles could be in good shape if they land a couple decent starters and I do not care where those starters come from.

Red Sox beat reporters have tweeted that the Red Sox didn't bid.

And a Chicago radio station said the Cubs won the bid @ $45M+...will never believe anything about the Red Sox rumors, until they become official. I get annoyed hearing the Red Sox are interested in every player that is news worthy (there was some blurb about them being interested in Hardy last offseason, even with two SS on their roster). It's the excessive posturing by the Red Sox in the news, that makes me ignore anything they really say.

And a Chicago radio station said the Cubs won the bid @ $45M+...will never believe anything about the Red Sox rumors, until they become official. I get annoyed hearing the Red Sox are interested in every player that is news worthy (there was some blurb about them being interested in Hardy last offseason, even with two SS on their roster). It's the excessive posturing by the Red Sox in the news, that makes me ignore anything they really say.

If the bid is around $50M than I would expect the contract to be in the 5/$65M range, maybe more.

The goal of DD has to be to get to a point where he can deal Guthrie for the best package of players. Those players shouldn't need to be ML ready and this holds true for pitchers as well IMO. Trying to get Floyd for Guthrie doesn't make much sense if you are the White Sox. Guthrie is not cheap and neither is Floyd. Both guys practically put up the same numbers in 2011 as well. Floyd is younger and has a higher upside at this point. I think that the Orioles should target enough pitching to bring a couple more starters in and move Guts for a solid package of young players that do not need to be within a stones throw of the majors.

I think you misunderstood me. I was only speculating on unrelated trades. Would signing Chen mean we don't need Floyd? Would signing Chen mean we CAN deal Guthrie? Would we wait to try and acquire Chen and Floyd before dealing Guthrie? What are the club's priorities? How are they approaching these decisions?

I like the depth they've acquire so far, but I want them to acquire enough (preferably of higher quality) that they can trade Guthrie. If we can get Floyd without giving up Matusz then I would also love to make that deal.

I think we agree, here. :D

Archived