Prince could accept 3 year deal

Osandbohs83

Per rotoworld

"According to Peter Gammons of MLB Network and NESN, several general managers think Prince Fielder could get a three-year deal worth $26 million per season, then go back on the market and beat Albert Pujols' average annual salary."

I'd say its worth a 3/78 contract solely to get the fans interest back into it. I know other posters will say its a waste of money and hes just going to leave at the end of his contract, well so be it. If were competing in 3 years which I somehow hope we are he could always stay and extend.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per rotoworld

"According to Peter Gammons of MLB Network and NESN, several general managers think Prince Fielder could get a three-year deal worth $26 million per season, then go back on the market and beat Albert Pujols' average annual salary."

I'd say its worth a 3/78 contract solely to get the fans interest back into it. I know other posters will say its a waste of money and hes just going to leave at the end of his contract, well so be it. If were competing in 3 years which I somehow hope we are he could always stay and extend.

If Prince would be wiling to accept a 3 year deal, every team with any interest at all would be happy to go 3/78 or better, and that would include MIA, TEX, TOR. WAS, CLEV, SEA, LAD, MIL, and even the Mets. We'd have to offer a lot more than that to get him.

He'd be a fool to accept a 3 year deal.

This is his chance to get the big payday. He's not getting another one at 30.

I'm surprised that Boras leaked this to Gammons and not Heyman. Boras is clearly trying to pressure teams to increase their LT offers for fear of losing Prince.

I doubt anybody's buying...

He'd be a fool to accept a 3 year deal.

This is his chance to get the big payday. He's not getting another one at 30.

I don't know. He's averaged 2.8 WAR a year over his seven year career. It also doesn't seem that anyone, or teams in general are lining up to give him a 10 year deal, like you've advocated. Again, Pujols 88 WAR in 11 years, Prince 19. Twice over 5 WAR, he's not getting Pujols money, and the team that pays it are huge fools.

I don't know. He's averaged 2.8 WAR a year over his seven year career. It also doesn't seem that anyone, or teams in general are lining up to give him a 10 year deal, like you've advocated. Again, Pujols 88 WAR in 11 years, Prince 19. Twice over 5 WAR, he's not getting Pujols money, and the team that pays it are huge fools.

He's getting 5+ years at 20-25 million. You can count on that.

I doubt that happens when he's 30.

I know it's what FA pretty much is, but you don't pay players for what they did in the past.

So you are expecting all 350LBS of Prince Fielder to vastly improve on his average of 2.8 WAR per year? I think you get a decent 3 years out of him and he will fall off of a similar cliff that Mo Vaughn and other hefty sluggers like his father did.

2.8 rWAR not fWAR. He's averaged 3.8 fWAR for his career.

If teams are reluctant to give him over 5 years now when he is entering his prime, why would they be willing to give him more years when he is passing his prime? It doesn't make sense. This is his chance for a really long contract and it doesn't seem to be appearing.

According to FanGraphs he's averaged 3.3 WAR over his 7 years and if you throw out the 0.1 WAR for the 69 PA in '05 closer to 4 WAR over the past 6 seasons, and 5.1 WAR over the past 3. I would expect he produces better than that over the next 5-7 seasons.

Archived