If Jones goes, Wieters has to go too.

JTrea81

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe this thread is six pages...

My question has still not been answered. If Jones is better than Young was, and Young fetched Garza, then who would Jones fetch who isn't going to immediately make this team better?

This. We should be able to get something for a GG level outfielder of Jones' caliber. Wieters is a catcher which is a much more rare position to find someone of Wieters' caliber. That's why he's more valuable than Jones and why I wouldn't let him slip away for anything. He's going to be a great asset for any pitchers we bring in or up.

I can't believe this thread is six pages...

My question has still not been answered. If Jones is better than Young was, and Young fetched Garza, then who would Jones fetch who isn't going to immediately make this team better?

Young had less service time and was younger and cheaper than Jones is now. But I think you are right that Jones could fetch immediate help.

I honestly can't believe I read thru 6 pages of this thread. Trading Jones this offseason makes sense on several different levels. Even contemplating moving Wieters at this points is ludicrous. Defensively, he's arguably the best C in the AL. Offensively, the strides he made in late August and September have to make even the most adament detractors just a little bit giddy. His bat will continue to improve in my opinion. Will it even be as prodigious as it was in the minors? Probably not. But there is still plenty of room for growth in his bat and if it does then his value is really gonna skyrocket. JMO

If the expected return on Jones is JJ, 2 top pitching prospects, then we are a better team in the short, as well as long run. Jones still has huge holes in his swing, and is likely close to done in his development.

IMHO, Wieters is still on track to "unleash hellfire". He may never be Mauer with Power, but if he posts a .850 OPS with the defense he did last year, he very well may be one of the most valuable players in baseball. That's close to 6WAR.

Looking closer, Wieters looks to break out. His ISO spiked to .188 last year (from .126 his first two years). I look for this to climb around .200 as he begins to equal his AAA performance. Additionally, Wieters has an abnormally low BABIP; .276 and .286 the last two years, after never posting less than .352 at any year before 2010.

Look for Matt to hit above 30HR with a .290-.300 average in 2012. If he puts up those numbers, he'll be worth even more in a trade [or as the posterboy of the franchise] next offseason.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4298&position=C

Archived