Wes Brown - 4 Star RB - Commits To UMD

Brendan25

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very interesting take from Heather Dinich on some of the incentives in Locksley's contract. Sounds like Kevin Anderson struck again!

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/35507/contract-incentives-for-locksley-questionable

I don't see a problem with any of those incentives. The $ amounts aren't so huge that I would expect them to alter his plan. His job is to recruit and score points, so he gets more money if he does those 2 things well. Works for me.

I don't see a problem with any of those incentives. The $ amounts aren't so huge that I would expect them to alter his plan. His job is to recruit and score points, so he gets more money if he does those 2 things well. Works for me.

I don't think it's as big a deal as she makes it out to be either. But I see her point on the one regarding the recruiting rankings. So many coaches downplay those rankings (and rightfully so) and yet here's one coach that could earn a bonus based off of them. And it might open up a can of worms.....for instance, perhaps Locksley has a gut feeling about the next Steve Slaton being a great player, but instead passes him over for the next Morgan Green, who is rated higher in the recruiting services, in order to earn a bonus.

Albert Reid, rated 3-4 stars depending who you listen to, commits now too. He's a running back from Friendship Collegiate and DC's Gatorade POY.

His quote to 24/7

“Playing at my home school with my family being there to see me every week. And they have a lot of success in engineering. And the person who runs Under Armour was on the football team at Maryland. There are a lot of places I can get internships and jobs while I’m in college. As soon as I get out, I’ll almost have a guaranteed job.”

I don't think it's as big a deal as she makes it out to be either. But I see her point on the one regarding the recruiting rankings. So many coaches downplay those rankings (and rightfully so) and yet here's one coach that could earn a bonus based off of them. And it might open up a can of worms.....for instance' date=' perhaps Locksley has a gut feeling about the next Steve Slaton being a great player, but instead passes him over for the next Morgan Green, who is rated higher in the recruiting services, in order to earn a bonus.[/quote']

Eeh. The rankings are a nice thing that make the program appear headed in the right direction. The money isn't enough that he's going to start pursuing players that he thinks are ranked too high. He'll go after the guys he thinks are the right fit so that he appears competent and can pursue a better job.

Eeh. The rankings are a nice thing that make the program appear headed in the right direction. The money isn't enough that he's going to start pursuing players that he thinks are ranked too high. He'll go after the guys he thinks are the right fit so that he appears competent and can pursue a better job.

The total recruiting bonus could be as much as $45,000 a year ($25,000 for Top 40 + $20,000 for Top 4 in ACC). That's not chump change. It's almost 20% of Locksley's annual salary.

The total recruiting bonus could be as much as $45' date='000 a year ($25,000 for Top 40 + $20,000 for Top 4 in ACC). That's not chump change. It's almost 20% of Locksley's annual salary.[/quote']

And 20% of his salary is not enough for him to compromise his job and reputation to go after guys he would normally ignore only for the sake of boosting the rankings. He has to be in the Top 40 (and top 4 of ACC), so he doesn't have to stockpile over-ranked guys like he's trying to get into the Top 10.

Can someone explain why Locksley will have so much success recruiting? I never understand how one assistant can make so much of a difference. Even if all of these recruits are so close with him, why in the world would they want to play football at Maryland? He is the like local recruit whisperer?

Maybe he's handing out free XBox's. Well I guess it would be 360's now.(Yes, I realize that wasn't Locksley) Seriously though, Danielos is 100% right. These kids are coming because of Locksley. I'll take good recruits no matter the circumstance but it's dangerous when kids are coming because of an assistant coach and not the head coach. Beyond that, the bottom line is Edsall, Locksley, and whoever the DC is need to coach these kids up and perform on gameday.

I also guess people are going to gloss over how much baggage Locksley brings and how questionable the contract they gave him is. Maybe the desperation play works out for Anderson but he's more than likely digging his grave that much deeper.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/35507/contract-incentives-for-locksley-questionable

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/56281/mike-locksley-hire-a-gamble

Albert Reid, rated 3-4 stars depending who you listen to, commits now too. He's a running back from Friendship Collegiate and DC's Gatorade POY.

His quote to 24/7

That has to be somewhat concerning. Word is he decommitted from WVU because of Roshard Burney and Dustin Garrison. He doesn't really want competition for the RB position. Now that you have Brown signed, I'd begin to wonder again if he is wavering and looking elsewhere.

As far as Locksley goes, there has been a lot of suspicion as to how he gets his recruits. Many in the college football world wonder if this guy isn't a walking NCAA violation waiting to happen

That has to be somewhat concerning. Word is he decommitted from WVU because of Roshard Burney and Dustin Garrison. He doesn't really want competition for the RB position. Now that you have Brown signed, I'd begin to wonder again if he is wavering and looking elsewhere.

Reid committed after Brown, so the scenario above doesn't make much sense.

As far as Locksley goes, there has been a lot of suspicion as to how he gets his recruits. Many in the college football world wonder if this guy isn't a walking NCAA violation waiting to happen

I think just about everyone wonders that. But really not much sense worrying about it at this point.

Reid committed after Brown, so the scenario above doesn't make much sense.

I think just about everyone wonders that. But really not much sense worrying about it at this point.

ah, ok, well then that does change things. He may end up being a DB, but he didnt like the fact that there was a lot of underclassmen depth at WVU

At this point, unless he's legitimately paying players or doing something in that ilk, I don't really care. I mean, if he's calling kids too much or texting them too much or whatever, and we lose 2 scholarships a year, it's still totally worth it. I can't stand losing anymore.

Archived