Would you be happy with this trade with Atlanta?

Sports Guy

Would you be happy with the trade listed below?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy with the trade listed below?

• Yes, no matter who the 4th player is
    • No, I don't like the trade at all
    • Yes, if the 4th player is Spruill
    • Yes, if the 4th player is Medlen
    • Yes, if the 4th player is Salcedo
    • Yes if the 4th player is Hoover

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Hardy is involved we'd have to fleece Atlanta

Jones for JJ, Prado, & Salcedo

Hardy for Minor,Teheran, and 1 other prospect.

If we can get Teheran and Minor for Hardy I would drive 3,000 miles to Baltimore just so I could take him to the airport.

If we can get Teheran and Minor for Hardy I would drive 3,000 miles to Baltimore just so I could take him to the airport.

Notice I said Fleece ... Adam Jones & Hardy would have a huge impact on Atllanta's offense. So the cost should be huge. Most agree that we could get

JJ, Prado, Minor, & Salcedo for Jones & Andino....So Hardy based on last season & his reasonable cost should add quite a bit of return to the deal.

They need a CF with power, and Minor is most definitely not on their untouchable list

You are totally wrong on both counts!

Look at the stats if you believe they need power more then a lead off hitter who can get on base, (they have power at nontraditional positions like 2nd & catcher), they were 3rd in HRs in the NL last season.

As for the untouchable pitchers I suggest you do some research before making such statements, and here is a good place to start:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/772086-braves-trade-rumors-latest-buzz-about-whos-on-the-tomahawk-chopping-block/entry/111326-atlanta-braves-rumors-braves-making-mistake-by-not-dealing-pitching-prospects

Has no-one looked at Tyler Pastornicky stats. Give the kid a shot. Why are we even trying to force Hardy onto them?

The Phillies remain a very powerful team, the Marlins are spending like drunken sailors and possible the National as well, and 22 yo Tyler Pastornicky has 117 PA's above AA, none of them at the ML level. Somewhere therein lies your answer.

It doesn't matter how bad anyone thinks that the Braves want Jones. They clearly want him, but they (and the Orioles) have their limits. One player can break or make a deal and that is not my opinion. We throw names around based on how we value them, but the Braves might value them in another order. If the Braves are willing to give up JJ and Prado plus a prospect(s) for Jones than two things jump out at me. Either the Braves want to move JJ or Prado for some reason or they value Jones. The Braves could give up JJ, Delgado, Prado and a prospect for Jones and flip the guy for an even bigger return if Jones really takes off in 2012.

Here is an issue I have with this deal.

1.) Jurrjens could easily be hurt and the Braves could have an idea this is the case. If he is not hurt than his numbers have taken a hit.

2.) Prado could be a good player, but he could also be a really good utility man.

3.) Adam Jones could continue to progress and there is a chance that we are not dealing Jones when his value is the highest.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Adam Jones is a valuable player on any team and I think he is wasting his time here in Baltimore if he wants to win IMO. It is sad that our best bet to be competitive moving forward is by dealing a guy like Jones who is closer to his prime than Hardy. If I am dealing Adam Jones I want my price met and if I do not get what I want than Adam Jones stays. With all this talk the Orioles kind of have two options right now IMO. Either deal Jones or extend him. The Longer he puts up good offensive numbers and makes big plays of SportsCenter his price will rise and as he gets more expensive and closer to FA our return for dealing him goes down and the price to get him to stay goes up.

The Orioles are not going to win in 2012 and 2013 so keeping Adam Jones makes no sense unless you plan to extend him and if we are going that route than prior to this season is the goal. If you approach Jones about a contract and he wants to see the team improve before he extends than you need to move him because Adam Jones is not Albert Pujols and while he is a young player with some upside, he is also a guy I feel confident that we can replace. We might not replace his offense with another CF'er, but I do think that we can replace his offense IMO.

The Orioles rebuilding plan starts with Adam Jones and it would be a rebuilding plan IMO. Get a huge return for Jones because he is legit now and some of the names that have been linked to us are risky because of injury or developmental reasons. Some people look at this team and think that we are a couple players away and I do not see it. What we are is every one of our players meeting close to maximum potential and a few players away. I can envision a scenario where Fielder and Edwin Jackson are signed and some of our prospects start getting hot, but I can also see a scenario where we sign Fielder and Jackson only to see the team finish below .500 yet again due to a lack of growth. This team still needs so much help before it can compete IMO.

Has no-one looked at Tyler Pastornicky stats. Give the kid a shot. Why are we even trying to force Hardy onto them?

It is not a matter of forcing Hardy onto them. If the Braves are looking to better the team than you can argue that Hardy and not Jones would be the smartest moves for the Braves. Hardy may be off limits, but if I had to decide between keeping Jones and dealing Hardy for JJ, Prado and a quality pitching prospect that I am keeping Jones and dealing Hardy.

Notice I said Fleece ... Adam Jones & Hardy would have a huge impact on Atllanta's offense. So the cost should be huge. Most agree that we could get

JJ, Prado, Minor, & Salcedo for Jones & Andino....So Hardy based on last season & his reasonable cost should add quite a bit of return to the deal.

I do not believe that we could get that package of players for Jones and Andino and I would be upset if we got offered that deal and turned it down. That being said, I think we could get Delgado and Salcedo if we decided to deal Hardy. I think that we could land JJ, Prado, Spruill and a lower level prospect if we wanted to deal Jones.

JJ, Prado, Delgado, Salcedo, Spruill and a lower level prospect or two would be a good deal and JJ and Prado could eventually return a package of quality prospects. There is a chance that we could even flip Prado to the Rox for a quality prospect or two before the season starts. Turning Jones and Hardy into 10 prospects who rate as B- or higher would do a great deal for our minor league system and could easily set us up for a run in 2014 when we could EASILY spend some real money as the team payroll would be very.

I don't think we can deal Hardy. I believe the understanding we have with him is he can't be moved this year. Possibly at the deadline at the earliest. ATL needs a LF. So they are willing to offer a SP to get one. Since that LF would be replacing Prado they need to move him as well because they have no need for 5-6 M UTIF. That's why they are offering JJ and Prado. They are the most expensive expendables they have. Jones is worth more than the two of them if only because in a Jones for JJ, Prado trade we would end up taking on 5-6 M in salary as well. So if they want Jones they have to include something else. If we want top SP prospects in addition, then we have to include something else.

You are totally wrong on both counts!

Look at the stats if you believe they need power more then a lead off hitter who can get on base, (they have power at nontraditional positions like 2nd & catcher), they were 3rd in HRs in the NL last season.

As for the untouchable pitchers I suggest you do some research before making such statements, and here is a good place to start:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/772086-braves-trade-rumors-latest-buzz-about-whos-on-the-tomahawk-chopping-block/entry/111326-atlanta-braves-rumors-braves-making-mistake-by-not-dealing-pitching-prospects

The Braves may have hit a lot of homeruns, but the team only scored 641 run on offense. That was only 17 more than the Nationals who may add Harper to the mix to start the season and could also be a serious contender for Fielder's services. The Braves do have some young guys who could and should improve, but Chipper Jones could take a step back as he continues to age. The Braves are not interested in Jones because they want to help the Orioles. Offensively the Braves need some help. If the Braves do give up JJ, Prado and Delgado/Salcedo than they would have given up more than Minor in value. I see why the Orioles want a JJ, Prado and Minor package and I see why the Braves do not want to give it up. I also know that the Braves could easily get a quality prospect package if they decided to deal Jones moving forward. There are a lot of variables that people are not talking about IMO.

I don't think we can deal Hardy. I believe the understanding we have with him is he can't be moved this year. Possibly at the deadline at the earliest. ATL needs a LF. So they are willing to offer a SP to get one. Since that LF would be replacing Prado they need to move him as well because they have no need for 5-6 M UTIF. That's why they are offering JJ and Prado. They are the most expensive expendables they have. Jones is worth more than the two of them if only because in a Jones for JJ, Prado trade we would end up taking on 5-6 M in salary as well. So if they want Jones they have to include something else. If we want top SP prospects in addition, then we have to include something else.

It is this reason that Baltimore may help themselves by asking for JJ, Prado, Salcedo and Spruill for Jones. I really do think that the Orioles deal Jurrjens at some point if they obtain him. Jones is valuable, but finding a middle ground is the way to go IMO. The Orioles may be able to include Andino to pickup a decent 5th prospect from the Braves. If you told me that Jones and Andino could be traded for a package of players that could be JJ, Prado, Salcedo, Spruill and La Stalla than I would have been very happy. That is a better deal than the Orioles got for dealing Bedard IMO and I would think it would be a better package even if Tillman turned into an average #3 starter. It is time for the Orioles to make a smart decision and I think dealing Jones is a very smart decision if 3 or 4 of the names we have talked about are part of the deal.

If the goal is to re-tool in the short term and get pitching from Atlanta, I'm trying my hardest not to move Hardy. His type of talent at SS is rare. The defense, the power, the instincts...and at that price!

Unless a total farm system fleecing happens, I'm trying to keep Hardy.

Archived