Thought: Johnny Damon to Baltimore?

Nick The Stick

AReimold hasn't proved anything more than Davis has IMO. Maybe he'll be a Cuddyer/Willingham this year or maybe he'll be Larry Bigbie. Who knows about Antonell/Flaherty? It would be great if Antonelli can play a plus 3B and get on base at the top of the order, but I'm not counting on it. Same for Davis. All Damon would be is an extra LH option at the top of the order for 5M. I would see him as a role player.

At this point, Reimold/Davis should be give AB's over the likes of Pena/Damon. Ditto Antonelli/Flaherty. Who knows what they are is the question we want answered and that's answered with AB's and playing time. If we dealt Reynolds I'd have less problem with a Damon/Pena acquistion.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this point, Reimold/Davis should be give AB's over the likes of Pena/Damon. Ditto Antonelli/Flaherty. Who know what they are is the question we want answered and that's answered with AB's and playing time. If we dealt Reynolds I'd have less problem with a Damon/Pena acquistion.
If Reimold is LF and Davis is 3B as they are currently projected, how would Damon/Pena be taking AB away from them?

If Reimold is LF and Davis is 3B as they are currently projected, how would Damon/Pena be taking AB away from them?

We don't know where they are going to end up at this point, I'm fairly uncomfortable with Davis or Reynolds at third base and I think Flaherty/Antonelli are going to be given good shots there. We lose immediate flexibilty with a Pena/Damon signing. If Reynolds is dealt it's a different story.

We don't know where they are going to end up at this point, I'm fairly uncomfortable with Davis or Reynolds at third base and I think Flaherty/Antonelli are going to be given good shots there. We lose immediate flexibilty with a Pena/Damon signing. If Reynolds is dealt it's a different story.
I wouldn't deal Reynolds and replace him with Pena at 2/20+.So worst case scenario is Reimold can't play LF and hits more like 2010. Davis can't play 3B and hits more like 2009. So we are left with Chavez/Miller in LF and Antonelli Flaherty at 3B. Personally I'd prefer a platoon of Reimold/Damon at DH over Davis/Reimold.

I wouldn't deal Reynolds and replace him with Pena at 2/20+.So worst case scenario is Reimold can't play LF and hits more like 2010. Davis can't play 3B and hits more like 2009. So we are left with Chavez/Miller in LF and Antonelli Flaherty at 3B. Personally I'd prefer a platoon of Reimold/Damon at DH over Davis/Reimold.

Pena is not going to get 2/20. Hell be lucky to get 1/7 imo and Damon is likely looking at less. If there is any value for Reynolds we should get it now imo because (barring something miraculous this year) there is no way we should extend him. Otherwise Reynolds should DH imo. Again I see no sense in platooning Reimold. This all said, I'm really expecting more deals to be made here. I see no rush to sign the likes of Damon or Pena at this point.

Wasn't there another former player that did that recently? Was it Tim Raines? I just remember someone doing that.

I believe Steve Finley "hit for the cycle" in the NL West, playing at least part of a season for all 5 teams. The closest thing to that in the AL East, I believe, is Jose Canseco who would only have to cross the O's off his list. Please don't mention that to anyone in the Warehouse though.

Hey here's an idea. Maybe we sign Mora to a minor League deal and he's the emergency third baseman after options 4, 5 and 6 fail.

I think it is entirely possible that this happens. Damon was a 2.8 rWAR player in 2011, and he's been worth at least 2.3 rWAR each of the last 8 years. He's a disciplined hitter who has seen at least 4.0 P/PA in 8 of the last 9 years. He's clearly in decline (his BA and OBP have dropped each of the last 3 years and his BB rate dropped quite a bit last year), but at the same time, brings an approach at the plate that this team needs more of. He made $5.25 mm last year and would stand to get less in 2012. Oh, and don't forget that Duquette was the one who brought him to the Red Sox. I won't be that surprised if he ends up an Oriole.

The band is going on a reunion tour. While some of them are still alive.

Well the real problem is our farm system hasn't developed a lead-off hitter since Roberts and that needs to be fixed but what do you do in the meanwhile?

Stopgaps, or look to acquire one in trade. Damon is obviously the former. I don't think his signing would automatically be stupid, as again, I think there's a good chance he'll put up better numbers next year than anyone else that we get to lead off. Now, if Duquette can swing a trade for a guy with leadoff capability, all that changes obviously. But the best internal leadoff hitter we have right now, assuming no Roberts, is Robert Andino.

Stopgaps, or look to acquire one in trade. Damon is obviously the former. I don't think his signing would automatically be stupid, as again, I think there's a good chance he'll put up better numbers next year than anyone else that we get to lead off. Now, if Duquette can swing a trade for a guy with leadoff capability, all that changes obviously. But the best internal leadoff hitter we have right now, assuming no Roberts, is Robert Andino.

I don't think Andino is that, not at all. In terms of career OBP he's well behind most of the team, including Hardy, Reynolds, way, way behind Markakis, Reimold, Jones... Andino is a barely tolerable leadoff hitter if he repeats his career year, which I think is somewhat unlikely.

I think you could do worse. His bat at OPACY could play well, I could see 20 HR's or so. He does work pitchers and he is a high energy guy. As others have said he isn't blocking anyone and could still play some LF if needed. I know it was vs Orioles pitching but he has always hit well at OPACY, lifetime, 885 OPS.

The worst reason to acquire any hitter is if they've had good numbers against Oriole pitching at Camden Yards.

He bat would play well here IMO. He took advantage of the New Yankee Stadium rather well, our park is a much better hitters park then the Trop. He likes to pull the ball at the Flag Court is a nice target for him.

Honestly, if Duquette continues to make good pitching acquisitions and stays active internationally and does all the right things, I couldn't care less who he brings in to DH for a year for a couple million bucks.

Just keep acquiring pitching.

That being said, it makes an awful lot more sense to do something like this if you're rebuilding and trading Jones and have some holes in the lineup and you just need a body to plug in somewhere for a year. Otherwise, if there's not a firesale and you have delusions of competing, go get someone legitimate and young for the lineup.

Just pick a direction.

It is the DH spot. Young players are DH's very often. Unless you go after Prince and move Reynolds back to 3rd and Davis to DH you are going to wind up with someone like a Damon for DH. I don't think whether Jones gets dealt or not plays into this.

Archived