Would you trade Wieters straight-up for anyone in the game?

Greg Pappas

Would you trade Wieters straight-up for anyone in the game?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Wieters straight-up for anyone in the game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Set aside contract terms... it's simply a consideration of whether under our current situation, you'd trade MW straight-up for any single player/pitcher in the game.

No Greg, I don't think I would. IMO, you have a superior young defensive player playing the single most important defensive position. That has always been my opinion of the catcher position. On top of that, he is a power hitting switch hitter who is giving every indication that he is ready to break out big time at the plate. And to top that off he is under team control through 2015? Is that right?

No I think he has as high a trade value right now as any player in MLB. But he is the player that I would be building this team around. Everyone else on this team would have a price if it was up to me, but Matt Weiters would be my cornerstone player.

No Greg, I don't think I would. IMO, you have a superior young defensive player playing the single most important defensive position. That has always been my opinion of the catcher position. On top of that, he is a power hitting switch hitter who is giving every indication that he is ready to break out big time at the plate. And to top that off he is under team control through 2015? Is that right?

No I think he has as high a trade value right now as any player in MLB. But he is the player that I would be building this team around. Everyone else on this team would have a price if it was up to me, but Matt Weiters would be my cornerstone player.

I agree with this, as my vote atests. However, I suspect the poll will show a fair split of opinion.

Are we supposed to ignore cost considerations, or are you asking if we'd trade Wieters at his current cost straight-up for another player at that player's current cost?

EDIT: I think I need to resume sleeping in on weekends. Complete, inexplicable failure of reading on my part.

Set aside contract terms... it's simply a consideration of whether under our current situation, you'd trade MW straight-up for any single player/pitcher in the game.

I am uncertain what setting aside contract terms means. For instance Matt is under our control this year and two others?

Wow. this is surprising. Strasburg is a serious injury risk, even more than most pitchers.

So is Wieters, as is any catchers. Wieters knees could go when he is 28, and we don't know how he would do at 1B.

I love Wieters, but if I get to choose between Wieters and an ace pitcher like Strasburg or Felix or any other young ace starter I'll take that pitcher.

No one on this current team should not be considered as trade bait. This team has lots of holes. Pitching and fielding both need to be upgraded. I like MW a lot but should the right trade come along I think the team has to consider it.

If Tulo was younger and didn't play in Coors 81 games a year maybe. I think a good catcher is extremely valuable. I am not sure any pitcher is as valuable as the best C. A P no matter how good, is too much of an injury risk, you can't count on them for more than a couple of seasons. Who is a 5 WAR position player for the next 4-5 years, 25 or under?

I probably agree that I wouldn't trade Wieter's straight up for any one person given the circumstances of this team.

However, I would have to think very hard before turning down Justin Upton, Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez (going into his age 26 season), Matt Moore, Harper, or Strasburg (in that order).

Seems to me the only other guys to consider would be Trout, Heyward, and Stanton.

FYI, here are the Fangraphs trade value ratings. Obviously age makes many of these players worth less to the Orioles--though you could argue you could trade them for more than the player you would otherwise get back 1 for 1 (but I think that undermines the spirit of this topic).

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2011-trade-value-10-1/

I probably agree that I wouldn't trade Wieter's straight up for any one person given the circumstances of this team.

However, I would have to think very hard before turning down Justin Upton, Felix Hernandez (going into his age 26 season), Matt Moore, Harper, or Strasburg (in that order).

Seems to me the only other guys to consider would be Trout, Heyward, and Stanton.

King Felix came to mind first but any SP is too iffy for me no matter how good. Matt Kemp........?:scratchchinhmm:

Archived