Would you trade Wieters straight-up for anyone in the game?

Greg Pappas

Would you trade Wieters straight-up for anyone in the game?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Wieters straight-up for anyone in the game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a BIG Wieters fan but he'd be gone in an instant straight up for...

1.) Felix Hernandez

2.) Joey Votto (with a big if - with an extension)

3.) Bryce Harper

4.) Strassburg

5.) Robinson Cano

6.) Bautista

7.) Probably a few others

I'm sure some, maybe all, of these selections will show my utter ignorance, which I freely admit, with sabermetrics.

Wieters is awesome though.

Set aside contract terms... it's simply a consideration of whether under our current situation, you'd trade MW straight-up for any single player/pitcher in the game.

This is a ridiculous question. There are plenty of players I'd trade straight up for Wieters.

Absolutely. I would trade Wieters straight up for alot of players like:

SP- Kershaw

SP- Felix

SP- Verlander

SP- Lincecum

SP- Shields

SP- Price

1B- Votto

1B- Fielder

1B- Cabrera

1B- Adrian

2B- Cano

3B- Longoria

SS- Hanley

SS- Tulowitzki

OF- Stanton

OF- Braun

OF- Kemp

OF- Bautista

OF- Ellsbury

I'm sure I could think of more.

The Orioles have so many problems that I would actually be upset if the Orioles traded Wieters for one player. Wieters may need to go as we move forward, but the return should be a ton of quality prospects instead of one premium player. If the Orioles had a .500 team as designed, contract was not a concern and I was asked the question than my response would be yes with an eye on the following players (In no order)

Felix Hernandez

Ryan Zimmerman

Robinson Cano

Albert Pujols

Stephen Strasburg

Miguel Cabrera

Hanley Ramirez

Clayton Kershaw

Matt Kemp

Ryan Braun (Ignoring PED thing)

Jacoby Ellsbury

Justin Verlander

Evan Longoria

David Price

Bryce Harper

Tim Lincecum

I can't believe how many people said "no." Wieters' defense us awesome, and he's getting better offensively, but he's way down the list of the best players in baseball, even if you give an age cutoff. For those who say his defense is particularly valuable with a young staff, exactly how much did that help us last year?

Yeah, even if you factor in age, years under control, and salary he's well down the list. This question makes no sense to me. When I clicked my answer I was expecting 99 percent of the forum to agree with me. I have no idea how people could think that Wieters is more valuable than Ryan Braun or Tulowitzki or Matt Kemp or Jose Bautista or Evan Longoria or on and on and on. I don't think he'd be in my top 30.

Yeah, even if you factor in age, years under control, and salary he's well down the list. This question makes no sense to me. When I clicked my answer I was expecting 99 percent of the forum to agree with me. I have no idea how people could think that Wieters is more valuable than Ryan Braun or Tulowitzki or Matt Kemp or Jose Bautista or Evan Longoria or on and on and on. I don't think he'd be in my top 30.

Like I said earlier I think Wieters has a good chance to be a 6+ WAR player going forward and that is with an imperfect grasp on a catcher's defensive value. I will take 6 WAR from a catcher as my building block.

If I thought 2011 was his ceiling offensively then sure there is a long list of guys I would rather have.

The real question each person needs to answer is, where do l see Wieters' offense going? If this is near his peak, there are a lot of players that mightbe more valuable to have, especially with the bat. If he is going to get in the high .800s in OPS or higher, this list shrinks by quite a bit. You need a great bitter who plays great defense at a critical position. I said Tulowitzki, and someone like Ellesbury would fit, but not too many others.

Archived