OT: Ryan Braun

soxhotcorner14

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my question. If Braun had a medical condition, and a doctor prescribed a medication that triggered a positive PED test, why would he be responsible? I take a number of medications prescribed by my doctor. They work very well for me. I can barely say their names and haven't a clue as to what's in them. Am I a fool to trust my doctor? If I were a ballplayer should I have to get a note from Bud Selig before I can follow my doctor's instructions? I have no idea if this is the case with Braun, but if it is, it seems the PED rule here is extreme.

Here's my question. If Braun had a medical condition, and a doctor prescribed a medication that triggered a positive PED test, why would he be responsible? I take a number of medications prescribed by my doctor. They work very well for me. I can barely say their names and haven't a clue as to what's in them. Am I a fool to trust my doctor? If I were a ballplayer should I have to get a note from Bud Selig before I can follow my doctor's instructions? I have no idea if this is the case with Braun, but if it is, it seems the PED rule here is extreme.

Is a banned substance still a banned substance if you have a prescription? I'm asking because I don't know. For example, if a doctor tells a player to take Sudafed, which is probably a banned substance, is the player violating MLB's policy? What if a doctor prescribes steroids?

Is a banned substance still a banned substance if you have a prescription? I'm asking because I don't know. For example, if a doctor tells a player to take Sudafed, which is probably a banned substance, is the player violating MLB's policy? What if a doctor prescribes steroids?
That's my question as well.

You need to go to the league and get a waiver. Players are supposed to keep their teams appraised of supplements/medications being suggested/prescribed. The team is supposed to liasse with MLB regarding requests for waivers or clarification as to whether use a particular substance is not permitted.

You need to go to the league and get a waiver. Players are supposed to keep their teams appraised of supplements/medications being suggested/prescribed. The team is supposed to liasse with MLB regarding requests for waivers or clarification as to whether use a particular substance is not permitted.

you are correct sir...

So if I am MLB player and my doctor prescribes triamterene hydrochlorothiazide, I have to get a waiver berfore I can take it? Basically any drug my doctor prescribes? I go to the dentist and he gives me percodan for pain and I have to get a waiver before I can take it?

So if I am MLB player and my doctor prescribes triamterene hydrochlorothiazide, I have to get a waiver berfore I can take it? Basically any drug my doctor prescribes? I go to the dentist and he gives me percodan for pain and I have to get a waiver before I can take it?

You need to obtain the waiver if you don't want to be penalized for banned substances showing up in your body on tests. Teams put policies in place so that players aren't unknowingly putting stuff in their body that is not permitted, and as a result failing tests and being suspended. Basically, tell your team what your taking so they can make sure you aren't doing anything you're not supposed to.

You need to obtain the waiver if you don't want to be penalized for banned substances showing up in your body on tests. Teams put policies in place so that players aren't unknowingly putting stuff in their body that is not permitted, and as a result failing tests and being suspended. Basically, tell your team what your taking so they can make sure you aren't doing anything you're not supposed to.
But if I go to the dentist for a root canal, as I bet a number of MLB players have done, I don't know what he might give me for pain. So how long do I have to suffer before I get the waiver. It seems stupid to me. If I have a doctor's prescription that shoiuld be enough.

But if I go to the dentist for a root canal, as I bet a number of MLB players have done, I don't know what he might give me for pain. So how long do I have to suffer before I get the waiver. It seems stupid to me. If I have a doctor's prescription that shoiuld be enough.

Gordo did they have the sudden boom in small pharmacies where you live? Down here they sprung up all over the place a couple years ago.

Sad to say it isn't hard to find a doctor that will write you a script for what you want for a price.

If you can't wait then you roll the dice with the drug tests and if you fail you have your appeal in order.

If you were a professional athlete you would find out what drugs were to be prescribed for a planned surgery. And the issue would not be whetehr or not you were allowed to take them (in most cases). It might be that certain drugs can only be taken in certain dosages, it might be that a comparable drug must be taken, or it might mean that there is no issue with the drug at all.

The point is to prevent a system whereby a player can waive a (purchased) doctor's note after the fact. Surely that makes sense, no?

If you were a professional athlete you would find out what drugs were to be prescribed for a planned surgery. And the issue would not be whetehr or not you were allowed to take them (in most cases). It might be that certain drugs can only be taken in certain dosages, it might be that a comparable drug must be taken, or it might mean that there is no issue with the drug at all.

The point is to prevent a system whereby a player can waive a (purchased) doctor's note after the fact. Surely that makes sense, no?

With PED yes, with precription medication which can't be used as a PED no. My diazide is for blood presser. I wouldn't know if it triggers a positive. b.t if it did so what? And the last time I went for a route canal I got ibuprofen. But another time I got percodan. The Dentist gave me a couple to take right away for the pain, and a prescription for later. I am supposed to wait until I can get a waiver from the team? And if the next day I happen to test positive for a banned substance, I am out 25 games because I went to the dentist? Overkill.

Archived