I really like what Duquette is doing

connja

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regard to the ML roster DD was working at a significant disadvantage with regard to his knowledge of the personnel. He has relied heavily on Buck's advice about the players. Buck liked what he saw last fall from guys like Reimold, Andino, Jones, and other members of the core. Buck asked for help with the rotation and that is where DD focused his efforts. Buck also wanted guys that could

get on base. DD did his best to accomodate him. The rest of the structural/organization moves were DD's agenda.

Duquette stated that if the Orioles lose out on Fielder, he will go out and add someone just like him. I truly hope Wilson Betemit is not solution for 'adding players the fans can relate to' that he spoke of.

I don't think he was necessarily talking about this year if you listen to his comment completely.

Great a bunch of bench players added but no starters. Right not who is our starting third baseman, our starting second baseman, our DH, our first baseman, and our left fielder?
If you wanted sure things at 1B, 2B, 3B, DH and LF, we could have spent 7.5 M on Pena 1B, 11 M on Aaron Hill 2B, 12M+, on Ortiz DH, and10 M on Cuddyer in LF, Also I suppose you could have spent 3 M on Hairston at 3B but would he really have been preferable to Reynolds at 3B. That's about 45 M before we even adress the most important need, SP. Sure things there would have cost us another 18M for Wilson and 12 M for Buehrle. That's adding 75 M to the paroll. Not realistic IMO.

Duquette stated that if the Orioles lose out on Fielder, he will go out and add someone just like him. I truly hope Wilson Betemit is not solution for adding 'players the fans can relate to' that he spoke of.

I was there when he made that remark, and I don't think he was confining his remark to the 2011-12 offseason. He meant eventually.

Half of our starting position players aren't major league caliber. But hey, at least we have "depth."
Ridiculous. As of now are starting line up would be:

Andino/Antonelli 2B

Markakis RF

CF Jones

C Wieters

3B Reynolds

1B Davis

SS Hardy

DH Betemit

LF Reimold

which 4-5 are not ML caliber?

Duquette stated that if the Orioles lose out on Fielder, he will go out and add someone just like him. I truly hope Wilson Betemit is not solution for adding 'players the fans can relate to' that he spoke of.

I thought he said if not Prince Fielder, he would look to add players like Prince Fielder. Meaning, High OBP, Patient, and Powerful. He may have possibly meant offensive only type players, but I could not determine that. He may have a hard time finding all of them in one Roly Poly Package, but as pieces, he can certainly find those components for less than 214 million dollars over the next nine years. If we are talking about guys who can barely play a position at age 27, they opportunities to find these pieces does end up growing.

I agree with the OP. I'm most excited to see how some of the organizational changes - Brady et. al. - effect getting more value out of some of the pieces we already have. Most of the talk so far has been about acquisitions. It's beginning to look to me like DD's primary focus is to get an accurate read on what he's inherited while hedging some of the downside.

I agree Dan Duquette has kept his word by adding depth, but impact players won't just 'fall in your lap' at every turn. Monitoring the market is fine, as long as you're still able to pull the trigger when needed.

I'm surely not advocating that 9/214 was in the best interest of the Orioles, but adding $4 million per starters, and utility infielders are not the impact I would expect after 14 straight losing seasons. I understand the Moneyball way of thinking, but the last time I checked, Billy Beane is still trying to win that final game of the series.

I'm not asking that we sign every $100 million dollar free-agent, but adding a few players that actually made an impact in 2011, is not that much to ask.

I agree Dan Duquette has kept his word by adding depth, but impact players won't just 'fall in your lap' at every turn. Monitoring the market is fine, as long as you're still able to pull the trigger when needed.

I'm surely not advocating that 9/214 was in the best interest of the Orioles, but adding $4 million per starters, and utility infielders are not the impact I would expect after 14 straight losing seasons. I understand the Moneyball way of thinking, but the last time I checked, Billy Beane is still trying to win that final game of the series.

I'm not asking that we sign every $100 million dollar free-agent, but adding a few players that actually made an impact in 2011, is not that much to ask.

What two SP would you have added over Chen and Wada and how much do you think we would have had to pay for them?

I'm sure this will be met with criticism, but I've always been a Floyd fan, and I think a more aggressive pursuit of him through a trade could have netted us a solid #2. It's hard for me to give a figure what would be a fair salary for him without knowing who we'd lose to make the deal happen.

I also think we should be both feet in on Jackson, even if it means throwing him $12-$13 million per season to become a reality.

"Feel free to attack at will" :beerchug1:

I'm sure this will be met with criticism, but I've always been a Floyd fan, and I think a more aggressive pursuit of him through a trade could have netted us a solid #2. It's hard for me to give a figure what would be a fair salary for him without knowing who we'd lose to make the deal happen.

I also think we should be both feet in on Jackson, even if it means throwing him $12-$13 million per season to become a reality.

"Feel free to attack at will" :beerchug1:

Jaxkson and Floyd are both #3's at best. Floyd is a bit better but no #2. To get him in trade you would have to give up Reimold and Matusz at least. He costs 7M this year and 9.5 next year. EJax shouldn't cost that much, 8-10 M per IMO. You are giving up a lot in money and talent for maybe 6 more W's

The thing I like that DD is doing is that we appear to be finally focusing on development, scouting and the international market. So if he wants to spend on those areas to fix a monumental weakness, then I'm fine with it, even at the expense of the major league roster.

However, that money better be getting spent on the best amateur and international talent. If all we do is change our strategy from signing mediocre MLB players to signing mediocre international/amateur players. Then I'm going to be pissed.

We should have plenty of money to spend based off the small amount we spent so far this off-season. I would have liked to see us go hard after Darvish and we definitely should be looking to sign Cespedes. No reason we can't get the cream of the crop if we're focusing our resources on the amateur/international market, rather than MLB free agents.

Only on the Hangout can people be impressed by adding depth to a team that has posted one of the worst 4 year streches in team History.

Sign IMPACT players --- not backups and number 7 starters

How in the hell are we ever going to get out of this mess unless we draft well AND sign above average ML talent to compete with the other teams/players IN OUR DIVISION.

Archived