Keith Law takes another shot at the O's

ChaosLex

The 82 year olds are the FO people Duquette's brought in. Frankly, it concerns me a bit, too, though his actual, on-the-ground scouts are younger.
He's taking a shot at him bringing in older people who have been in the game a long time instead of bringing in young people just breaking in.

Ooooh :thumbsup1:

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this something that some organizations would do?

I know a couple of orgs categorize my specific physical characteristics and tend to focus on certain cross-sections. I don't know of any org that takes DNA, tests skeletal age, etc. for purposes of projection.

Seriously, I really think he's just trying to be a Jim Rome-type in order to be somebody. I mean outside of the die hard baseball guys like us, no one knows or cares about Keith Law. His clear bias towards DD means I truly could care less what he has to say at this point. The funny thing is this guy has been clamoring about getting back into baseball yet snarky little immature comments is about the worse way to ever get a job within the close knit baseball world.

I guess he's getting what he wants though. For some reason people pay attention to his chats like he's some kind of expert on every organization and on every player signed in the international market. Like Stotle said, I more interested in what his connections ay much more than him, but now I have to question those motives as well because he's clearly not able to stay professional.

Saying all of that, how in the world can you say you kind of agree with him? Who are the washed up players he signed, who are the 82-year olds, and why do you think the Astros will compete before the Orioles?

The Astros aren't in the AL East with the worst owner in sports...That puts them firmly ahead of the Orioles.

He was obviously being sarcastic about the 82 y/o comment.

Not sure he has signed anyone washed up but you can argue whether he has signed anyone good...so, what's really the difference?

The Astros aren't in the AL East with the worst owner in sports...That puts them firmly ahead of the Orioles.

Not sure he has signed anyone washed up but you can argue whether he has signed anyone good...so, what's really the difference?

Astros also have a huge market to potentially tap into, new ownership, a forward thinking GM with strong ties to analytics and scouting. There is a lot of work to be done in Houston and Baltimore. Not sure who'd I'd tab as "ahead" -- both are in pretty bad "now" shape. Houston has not drafted well at all, recently, which has killed their system. They did pick up a couple of solid gets from Philly.

I'd argue that both Chen and Antonelli could have long-term potential at reasonable costs.

As to this signing, there's probably less than a 10% chance that players like the young Korean amateur ever have an impact in the majors, but that's true of any prospect. If 2-5 players in a team's draft class even have a cup of coffe in the bigs, that mean 35-40 or more don't. But, you still draft them, sign them and try to develop them. If nothing else, you need somebody for the 2-5 legitimate prospects to play baseball with for 4-5 years until they get to the majors. :D

Got it man. Everything is roses and lollipops everywhere else except for the horrible putrid franchise called the Baltimore Orioles. It's pretty clear where you are coming from now. You have become the new Sapper! Congratulations.

Got it man. Everything is roses and lollipops everywhere else except for the horrible putrid franchise called the Baltimore Orioles. It's pretty clear where you are coming from now. You have become the new Sapper! Congratulations.

Yes and you are now a shill for DD...Congrats to you as well!

Astros also have a huge market to potentially tap into, new ownership, a forward thinking GM with strong ties to analytics and scouting. There is a lot of work to be done in Houston and Baltimore. Not sure who'd I'd tab as "ahead" -- both are in pretty bad "now" shape. Houston has not drafted well at all, recently, which has killed their system. They did pick up a couple of solid gets from Philly.

Right...I actually think Baltimore has more talent than Houston right now...But more talent doesn't mean you are ahead when you consider division, market, owner, etc...Of course, I guess we should ignore those things..they aren't important. :rolleyes:

I'd argue that both Chen and Antonelli could have long-term potential at reasonable costs.

As to this signing, there's probably less than a 10% chance that players like the young Korean amateur ever have an impact in the majors, but that's true of any prospect. If 2-5 players in a team's draft class even have a cup of coffe in the bigs, that mean 35-40 or more don't. But, you still draft them, sign them and try to develop them. If nothing else, you need somebody for the 2-5 legitimate prospects to play baseball with for 4-5 years until they get to the majors. :D

Key word there.

Law likes the Chen signing as well, so his comment was obviously not directed at him.

Well, is it really a stretch for both to be true? He makes some remarkable plays, and botches some routine ones. Considering that routine plays by their definition happen at a higher rate, create more opportunities for mistakes, might have some conclude you're a butcher at that position? Does it matter what the reference point is? I mean compared to Beltre is one thing, to the league average might be entirely different.

Did you watch the majority of games last season? If so, would you express Reynolds as being a butcher at 3b?

Sure, he made some really good plays and I did watch a lot of games last year. So yes I guess you could say it was a mixed bag. I would also say that a butcher pretty much described him last year. If you look just at his more cursory stat of FLD %, he was considerably worse than league average (.956 vs .897) among 3B qualifiers. He was considerably worse than the next worse 3B qualifier (.942 vs .897)

Sure, he made some really good plays and I did watch a lot of games last year. So yes I guess you could say it was a mixed bag. I would also say that a butcher pretty much described him last year. If you look just at his more cursory stat of FLD %, he was considerably worse than league average (.956 vs .897) among 3B qualifiers. He was considerably worse than the next worse 3B qualifier (.942 vs .897)

I'd be interested to poll a group of fans that watched the majority of games and ask them if they would classify Reynolds as a butcher at 3b based on what they saw without looking at his stats. Sure if you look at stats it will tell you he had problems... but we still aren't sure how valid those stats are and I know from my experience in watching Reynolds, I wouldn't have concluded he was a butcher. But again.. reference is important.

EddieInTheYard Eduardo A. Encina

@

@xxxxx Not sure about the $$$, but would be shocked at those figures. Org def wants to make presence in Korea known.

3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

$550K (if that's accurate) could have bought Baltimore a year's worth of ten additional area scouts. Sorry, I'm not going to blindly applaud signings because they are different than what was done in the past -- especially when the "support" for the signing is a writer passing along the highlights given to him by the organization itself.

I don't have any opinion on the signing, as I've never seen the kid.

I think a lot of the posts that followed after this one seem to just assume that we are paying this kid $550k. I just wanted to highlight that, so far as I know, the only place that number has appeared is in Law's tweet, and the Sun's beat reporter hasn't been told that. So, just as Law's 80-83 mph with no secondaries may not be accurate, I don't know where he's getting the fact that the kid got a $550 k bonus.

Archived