Duquette needs a "Plan B" for the offense

JTrea81

Based on what?

I'll take Betemit, Reimold, and Davis over what those 3 provided last year.

They should be able to do better than a .3 oWAR.

I can see not being thrilled with having those 3 being the primary replacements, but I don't see why you'd think they'll actually be worse.

Davis has no track record, Reimold cannot stay healthy and Betemit...not much else to say there.....

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duquette needs to make moves that matter long term, in terms of on the field moves.

Whether its addressing the offense, pitching or both.

This team that they have right now is pretty disgusting.

It's not a team that can be "better than .500" for sure...

If they go into 2012 with this roster, unless a miracle happens, I'd expect to see a lot of Camden green this year.

Davis has no track record, Reimold cannot stay healthy and Betemit...not much else to say there.....

Umm, again, I can see not being thrilled with them, but to say they are downgrade from what was provided by the 3 players Trea mentioned is just not supported by anything.

Betemit, by himself had 3 times the oWAR than all 3 of them did last year.

Davis actually had .1 oWAR on those 3 combined despite very limited playing time.

And Reimold had over 4 times the oWAR in limited playing time.

Duquette needs to make moves that matter long term, in terms of on the field moves.

Whether its addressing the offense, pitching or both.

This team that they have right now is pretty disgusting.

Spot on as usual SG. Very little that they've done this offseason has addressed any of this team's issues, short term or long term.

It's not a team that can be "better than .500" for sure...

If they go into 2012 with this roster, unless a miracle happens, I'd expect to see a lot of Camden green this year.

Well, you are more worried about 2012 than I am.

HOWEVER, where we are in agreement(I assume) is that long term, they aren't any better.

Now, we all recognize everything he has done off the field and those are all excellent moves.

But on the field, for the ML team, this team has done nothing but sign role players and perhaps one solid valuable guy in Chen. Antonelli has some upside as well.

But other than that, its all role players. Some on here h ave talked about the improved depth...Its not depth. Its bodies and there is a difference.

I am not putting this all on DD either. Buck and PA should have zero say since they have no idea what they are doing when it comes to this.

One place where Trea and I simply disagree is his unwillingness to let guys like Reimold and Davis have 500+ PA. To me, 2012 is about seeing what those guys can do if you put them out there all season. I'm pretty confident we'll get good production from Reimold if we do. I'm not as confident about Davis but there is enough upside there that I want to see what he will do.

One place where Trea and I simply disagree is his unwillingness to let guys like Reimold and Davis have 500+ PA. To me, 2012 is about seeing what those guys can do if you put them out there all season. I'm pretty confident we'll get good production from Reimold if we do. I'm not as confident about Davis but there is enough upside there that I want to see what he will do.

But if Reimold falters this season in a full-time role, will you conceed that it was another example of overvaluing like we did for Pie?

There should be no more evaluations. This is supposed to be a team that's going to be above .500

The time for evaluations was 2008-2010, otherwise you might as well blow the whole darn thing up.

Davis has a track record, though it is not what you would have hoped for when he hit all those homeruns in 2009.

Reimold is very healthy, once his ruptured achilles was surgically repaired.

Betemit is a valuable platoon player who switch hits as well as many.

There should be no more evaluations. This is supposed to be a team that's going to be above .500

The time for evaluations was 2008-2010, otherwise you might as well blow the whole darn thing up.

Davis just got here, and Reimold has done enough in 2 years out of 3 to deserve to play. The only way this team gets good is to let some guys grow. You would have cut Jose Bautista.

Davis just got here, and Reimold has done enough in 2 years out of 3 to deserve to play. The only way this team gets good is to let some guys grow. You would have cut Jose Bautista.

And for every Bautista, there's a Felix Pie or a Chris Richard, or a Luis Matos or a Larry Bigbie.

At some point you need to stop the auditions and get proven talent to win.

Unfortunately I'm not too sure who else the Orioles can get at this point as it basically was Fielder or bust IMO.

And for every Bautista, there's a Felix Pie or a Chris Richard, or a Luis Matos or a Larry Bigbie.

At some point you need to stop the auditions and get proven talent to win.

Unfortunately I'm not too sure who else the Orioles can get at this point as it basically was Fielder or bust IMO.

So who would you have gotten using hindsight?

What's funny is that the main reason we didn't win 81 G last season, wasn't BRobs' and Scott's injuries, Vlad's and DLee's declines, Brittons mid season implosion, or Arrieta's being shut down to have his ping pong ball removed. It was Brian Matusz failing to put up even meh numbers, for him. If he had won 10 games, people would have regarded that as a disappointment, but we would have been at 78 W's even so. If we had had Fielder, on the other hand we might have won 75.

Archived