Edwin Jackson Tweet (O's related)

Lance

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that Jackson signs with a team that has not been mentioned. No Orioles, Red Sox or Rangers. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Yankees swoop in and get him.

Yankees dont want to pay the dollar for dollar lux tax...I read that somewhere and that they wanted to dump someone like Burnett to get some flexibility under the cap.

2011- 12-9 3.79 ERA

2010- 10-12 4.47 ERA

2009- 13-9 3.62 ERA

2008- 14-11 4.42 ERA

In that time span he has average more than 200 IP's and he is 28-years old.

I think a terrible Orioles rotation heading into 2012 should be very happy to have him.

Jackson

Guthrie

Britton

Chen

Matauz/Wada/Arrieta

Vs.

Guthrie

Matusz

Arrieta

Britton

Tillman/Bergesen

It is night and day IMO.

Can someone tell me what the Orioles would have done last year if the pitching was league average in the hitting didn't change?

agreed - especially since at 28 his next three years - according to numerous studies - are typically a starter's statistical prime (28-30)

Can someone tell me what the Orioles would have done last year if the pitching was league average in the hitting didn't change?
With league average pitching last year, we'd have been at about 710-720 RA, depending on how you factor in defense. With 708 RS, that would have put us close to .500 but probably still fighting it out w/ the Jays for last place.

Well, last year we scored 708 runs. The league average for runs allowed, once you take out the Orioles, was 706. So by Pythagorean percentage we would have likely been an 81-81 team, possibly 82-80.

With league average pitching last year, we'd have been at about 710-720 RA, depending on how you factor in defense. With 708 RS, that would have put us close to .500 but probably still fighting it out w/ the Jays for last place.

Close to .500 would've put me a lot closer to happy and my pre-season prediction.

Well, last year we scored 708 runs. The league average for runs allowed, once you take out the Orioles, was 706. So by Pythagorean percentage we would have likely been an 81-81 team, possibly 82-80.

Right and that is my point. 82-80 is the goal heading into this season and if the pitching was addressed by MacPhail the way Duquette is trying to address it now than maybe Duquette is thinking that Jackson and Fielder give us 5-7 WAR or enough to get us into the 85-89 win range. The Orioles have the ability to knock the Jays into 4th, but 4th and 5th have the same issue and we can't hide behind the AL East umbrella any longer. If you want to compete than you have to finish in front of the Rays, Yankees and Red Sox.

I think the Orioles could be in much better shape heading into next offseason. I think the Orioles could shock some folks, but I feel that we are a quality closer/setup man, starting pitcher and bat away from being an average baseball team.

Edwin Jackson has multiple three-year offers, but clubs are being told that the free agent right-hander is much more likely to sign a one-year deal than a multiyear contract, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports. The Orioles like Jackson and have made him an offer, but Connolly suggests it won't be enough to sign him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/one-year-deal-likely-for-edwin-jackson.html

Edwin Jackson has multiple three-year offers, but clubs are being told that the free agent right-hander is much more likely to sign a one-year deal than a multiyear contract, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports. The Orioles like Jackson and have made him an offer, but Connolly suggests it won't be enough to sign him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/one-year-deal-likely-for-edwin-jackson.html

If you give him a 4-year deal than he doesn't sign a one year pact IMO. Give him the 4th year as he will only be 32 during that season which mitigates some of the risk. If he could entertain a one year deal than the Cards, Rangers, Yankees, Red Sox and Orioles would all be suitors. With 4/5 being better than us we wouldn't stand a chance.

I hope that this stuff about taking a one-year deal is just a move to force the Orioles or some other team to give him a fourth year. Taking a one year deal would be very reckless...leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table.

Archived