Dan Duquette: No teams were willing to offer us young prospects in return for Guthrie

ChaosLex

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a fair chance that the Hammel/Lindstrom combo are at least as valuable come July as Guthrie.

And of course none of these pitchers are replacement level and the O's don't have to keep anyone past next year.

I should have said average major league pitchers, not replacement level. That's what I meant.

I should have said average major league pitchers, not replacement level. That's what I meant.

I recall Hammel being a poretty hot commodity for awhile before last year. He had a 3.9 fwar in 2009 and 2010 in only 170+ innings. Not sure what happened to his walk and K rates last year. His velocity doesn't seem to have declined. I'd have hoped for better for Guthrie but I'm not too distraught over this one.

I recall Hammel being a poretty hot commodity for awhile before last year. He had a 3.9 fwar in 2009 and 2010 in only 170+ innings. Not sure what happened to his walk and K rates last year. His velocity doesn't seem to have declined. I'd have hoped for better for Guthrie but I'm not too distraught over this one.

If you look at his game log from last year, he started out very well with 4 quality starts in April. His May and June weren't all that bad but then in July he had 3 pretty shaky starts followed by 3 more the first half of August. That was enough to get him demoted to the BP. However, he did pretty well out of the pen and got 2 spot starts in Sept, were he pitched 7 innings in each giving up only 1 and 2 runs.

Not sure what happened to him in July and Aug, but 4 of the 6 bad starts were at Coors and one of the others was in AZ.

The key takeaway for me is that Duq 'settled' for this trade. Roch reports that he didnt' get any offers of prospects for Jeremy. He clearly had been shopping him. So clearly this isn't what he'd wanted to get for Jeremy.

Why then did he trade him now? Why settle if you don't have to?

The key takeaway for me is that Duq 'settled' for this trade. Roch reports that he didnt' get any offers of prospects for Jeremy. He clearly had been shopping him. So clearly this isn't what he'd wanted to get for Jeremy.

Why then did he trade him now? Why settle if you don't have to?

I think they were concerned they'd lose the arbitration hearing so Peter knocked out a couple birds with one trade. Smouse stays undefeated, Orioles get known salary figure for a Guthrie clone.

I think they were concerned they'd lose the arbitration hearing so Peter knocked out a couple birds with one trade. Smouse stays undefeated, Orioles get known salary figure for a Guthrie clone.

I think that's very plausible. There certainly has to be more to this than we've been told by the Orioles. And if your hypothesis is true it should serve as a reminder to each and every one of us who truly runs the show and who needs to be gone before things will ever get better.

Yes they do...they wanted him last year and ended up getting Fister instead because the Orioles wanted more.

What Seattle got for Fister made more sense for this team than this deal did.

That was last year when AM was GM, not DD (just wanted to do that for the fun of it). If DD was here last year, maybe that deal gets made. But, now, the best deal we could make was two slightly better than league average pitchers who are just as likely to have value at this season's trade deadline as Guthrie would have. In fact, at 29 years old with an extra year of control, Hammel is likely to have more value at the deadline than Guthrie, not to mention whatever value Lindstrom provides. So, this deal may give us more future value than Guthrie had, and more present value, as well.

I don't know if Smouse's record has anything to do with it, but I think the $10M for a pitcher that they have no intention of keeping around next year does ... especially if they don't want to have to offer him arbitration next offseason, they don't like the risk/reward of him getting hurt or pitching worse and lowering his value vs what he might return in a deadline deal, and they think that this deal is at least a breakeven with some potential upside.

The fact that he settled and the timing of the arbitration hearing pretty clearly suggests that there's a relationship.

I don't like the pitch values. HI think he's going to find the hitter in the AL East pretty tough to get out with stuff that's below average across the board according to his pitch values.

Archived