Roch: O's and Nick Johnson closing in on minor league deal (O's sign Johnson)

ChaosLex

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It amazes me that anyone would object to signing Johnson to a MiL deal. If he's done (which I'd say is 75% probable) then it costs us next to nothing. But if he is healthy and can play anywhere near past performance, he could be a useful DH, 1B, bench guy. Very low risk, solid possible reward.

He can be the DH for 50-60 games until he gets hurt and is done for the year. At that time, we can call up Manny to take his place after his suspension is served! It's a win-win situation! :scratchchinhmm:

Edit: Actually, I think it is a good minor league signing.....

Are you happy with what this team's roster looks like?

He's not on the roster, nor will he be, unless someone underperforms or gets injured and/or he outperforms and stays healthy. If neither happens he either plays for the Tides are is released. Simple as that. Stop making it out to be more than it is. There's nothing wrong with having this kind of depth. Every team in MLB does it.

He's not on the roster, nor will he be, unless someone underperforms or gets injured and/or he outperforms and stays healthy. If neither happens he either plays for the Tides are is released. Simple as that. Stop making it out to be more than it is. There's nothing wrong with having this kind of depth. Every team in MLB does it.

I agree with you. My concern is whether or not he constitutes depth. The orioles look to have a lot of mediocre depth and no one that can make some kind of impact on the OBP level. Betemit might have a passable season but Nick Johnson looks like a waste of time, especially with 75% of wrist tendons.

It amazes me that anyone would object to signing Johnson to a MiL deal. If he's done (which I'd say is 75% probable) then it costs us next to nothing. But if he is healthy and can play anywhere near past performance, he could be a useful DH, 1B, bench guy. Very low risk, solid possible reward.

Yes, I think it's a good signing too. I mean, why not? Like someone mentioned, he certainly isn't taking at bats from any prized 1B prospects in the minors, and he could contribute in the majors if needed. This is the kind of stuff MacPhail never did enough of.

Most people just love to whine.

Archived