Roch: O's and Nick Johnson closing in on minor league deal (O's sign Johnson)

ChaosLex

Yes, I think it's a good signing too. I mean, why not? Like someone mentioned, he certainly isn't taking at bats from any prized 1B prospects in the minors, and he could contribute in the majors if needed. This is the kind of stuff MacPhail never did enough of.

Most people just love to whine.

I like to WHINE! See what I did there?

I just want someone who can legitimately help the big league ball club. Just another question mark for me.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I think it's a good signing too. I mean, why not? Like someone mentioned, he certainly isn't taking at bats from any prized 1B prospects in the minors, and he could contribute in the majors if needed. This is the kind of stuff MacPhail never did enough of.

Well, if people "like to whine", then I suggest they become Oriole fans, because there certainly has been plenty to whine about during these long 14 years.

I have more belief that Manny could still have something left than Johnson, but hopefully I'm wrong.

As do I. I'd much rather sign Manny to a minor league deal than roll the dice with Elijah Price. So many argued that Manny would take ABs from guys yet somehow Johnson won't? I just don't get it.

As do I. I'd much rather sign Manny to a minor league deal than roll the dice with Elijah Price. So many argued that Manny would take ABs from guys yet somehow Johnson won't? I just don't get it.

I'd wager that, while neither should be very expensive, Manny will be moreso. And if Manny hits in the minors, there would be an expectation that he'd play in the majors. Johnson probably wouldn't have any such expectations tied to his signing (thus, no taking AB's from anyone).

Theres no risk signing him to a minor league contract. He's only 33 years old. You would think he was 40 or something by the comments made so far. If he makes it back his lifetime .401 OBP will help us. He's the kind of guy that will find a way to get on base. No risk! DD is just putting together a minor league team full of backups with ML experience. Norfolk should have a pretty good year but having backups there that can help us for short periods if needed will help us.

Every team signs guys like this all the time. Just today the Yankees signed Russell Branyan to a MiL deal, The Padres Jeff Suppan, and the Reds Jeff Francis. It's not these moves that are to blame, just the lack of other creative or potentially impactful deals.

It nauseates me to say this, but I can see Branyan having a career year the way that stadium plays....if he becomes dh

In terms of being a prospect, Mahoney is not much of one. Blocking him would be akin to blocking the ascent of Brad Bergesen.

Maybe Mahoney is not much of a prospect, but Johnson is less than a prospect. Using the reasoning that is so often used at this site that signing x, y, or z to a contract will reduce the number of AB's for a younger player at any level. I have a problem with giving contracts to aging vets with no vested interest in the long term success of the O's, just trying to get one more pay check to pad their retirement.

Theres no risk signing him to a minor league contract. He's only 33 years old. You would think he was 40 or something by the comments made so far. If he makes it back his lifetime .401 OBP will help us. He's the kind of guy that will find a way to get on base. No risk! DD is just putting together a minor league team full of backups with ML experience. Norfolk should have a pretty good year but having backups there that can help us for short periods if needed will help us.

Well all this money that DD has already spent on crappy players begins to add up. What would you rather have the team sign 20 players who wont' ever help your team or 2 players who actually are above average major leaguers?

You mean signing a washed up player to a triple A contract a year after he was a washed up player signed to a triple A contract and could not produce in the minor leagues.

Archived