What moment in O's history have you NOT recovered from?

Todd-O

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8/6/1986 Texas vs Orioles. We were leading 11-6 going into the 8'th inning. Sheets and Dwyer had both hit grand slams and I thought the game was over. We lost 13-11. I relate that game with the end of the O's great winning era. It has been pretty much downhill ever since then with only an occasional glimpse of that winning spirit. My brother and I took my youngest sister to that game for her 18'th birthday. We couldn't believe we lost that game.

c

I would have to say that my first moment as an Oriole fan when I was a 6 year-old boy in the fall of 1971 was both endearing and devastating. The Orioles were playing the Pirates in the World Series. I remember the last two games (Game 6 and Game 7). My whole family was rooting for the Pirates because they liked Roberto Clemente, so naturally, I rooted for the Orioles. I remember the last out of the 7th game being a ground-out. My whole family whooped it up in the living room, and I went outside and pouted on the swing-set in our back yard here in Brewster, NY. I still remember sitting there with my face in my hands, while my family celebrated inside the house. I've been bleeding orange and black ever since, with no regrets.

The Mother's Day Massacre was definitely a low point -- especially because of where it took place. I must say, though, the fact that the O's came back from the brink on the last game of last year to punish Boston at Camden helps to make that one feel a little less painful...

Archived