Stoglin makes All ACC second team; Faust on all freshman team

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rivers over Marshall and Stoglin? I...I don't see it.

Best player on second best team and a guy who just took over games at times.

I think that's your reasoning.

Marshall has a better case than Stoglin IMO but I wonder if they didn't want 4 guys from one team on the first team?

Rivers over Stoglin/Marshall for first team is a joke. Besides his dominant game against UNC he really hasn't been deserving of first team. The player who deserves first team over Rivers if it's going to be a guard is Kendall Marshall. He makes the UNC offense go, and without him UNC would be the third best team in the ACC. Zeller wouldn't be as dominant in the paint without Marshall, nor Henson. Marshall lead the ACC with 9.6 assist per game, which is also a league record.

Don't get me wrong Stoglin is a great scorer but that is really all he brings to the table. He doesn't have an all around game and in the last five games of the season where the Terps were 1-4, Stoglin was 29% from the field and averaged 17 points per game. Don't get me wrong I'm as big of a supporter of Stoglin as the next guy but if the Terps have aspirations of being a NCAA tourney next year his scoring and shot attempts must come down.

If that rubs Stoglin the wrong way and wants to be THE team, let him walk. For the first 20 or so games it was fun seeing Stoglin go out and score 25-30 points a game, but when MVP'e, and Len were in the fold Stoglin still wanted to yack up 25 shots a game. Nothing was more frustrating in the last 5 or so games of the season than watching Stoglin go on a fast break with 2 or 3 teammates and try and go through the one defender and get a charge, or miss a contested shot. With Cleare, and Layman coming in with Faust, Len, Padgett, and Parker, I can be content with Stoglin leaving the program after this year. Turgeon needs to coach guys who want to be involved in TEAM basketball and not have 4 guys on the floor watch one teammate yack up 20-25 shots per game.

1999 when Clempsun's Terrell McIntyre did it.

Really I kind of expected it, since Maryland finished 6-10 in conference, and Stoglin ran out of gas two weeks ago. But, and I may cut my tongue off for saying it, and my fingers for typing it, Mike Scott should be player of the year. I fear it'll be Zeller. But no knock on Zeller, because he had a POY-type season. But Scott was incredible from start to finish.

Rivers over Stoglin/Marshall for first team is a joke. Besides his dominant game against UNC he really hasn't been deserving of first team. The player who deserves first team over Rivers if it's going to be a guard is Kendall Marshall. He makes the UNC offense go, and without him UNC would be the third best team in the ACC. Zeller wouldn't be as dominant in the paint without Marshall, nor Henson. Marshall lead the ACC with 9.6 assist per game, which is also a league record.

Don't get me wrong Stoglin is a great scorer but that is really all he brings to the table. He doesn't have an all around game and in the last five games of the season where the Terps were 1-4, Stoglin was 29% from the field and averaged 17 points per game. Don't get me wrong I'm as big of a supporter of Stoglin as the next guy but if the Terps have aspirations of being a NCAA tourney next year his scoring and shot attempts must come down.

If that rubs Stoglin the wrong way and wants to be THE team, let him walk. For the first 20 or so games it was fun seeing Stoglin go out and score 25-30 points a game, but when MVP'e, and Len were in the fold Stoglin still wanted to yack up 25 shots a game. Nothing was more frustrating in the last 5 or so games of the season than watching Stoglin go on a fast break with 2 or 3 teammates and try and go through the one defender and get a charge, or miss a contested shot. With Cleare, and Layman coming in with Faust, Len, Padgett, and Parker, I can be content with Stoglin leaving the program after this year. Turgeon needs to coach guys who want to be involved in TEAM basketball and not have 4 guys on the floor watch one teammate yack up 20-25 shots per game.

Rivers averaged 17 PPG over the last 14 ACC games(or most of the season). That makes him one of the leading scorers in conference play.

Stoglin didn't deserve 1st team, at all. 2nd team sounds about right. Marshall deserved 1st team though.

I agree. As much as I hate to see 4 tarholes on the 1st team, but it's hard to argue against it. Like others said, I would assume that people voting didn't want to make their whole ballot with 4 players from one team.

Stoglin didn't deserve 1st team, at all. 2nd team sounds about right. Marshall deserved 1st team though.

Agree with this. Rivers is a good player, but if he doesn't play for Duke he doesn't make 1st team. But that's one of the perks of going to an elite program.

I think Stoglin would have made it a few weeks ago, but he struggled badly down the stretch.

Agree with this. Rivers is a good player, but if he doesn't play for Duke he doesn't make 1st team. But that's one of the perks of going to an elite program.

I think Stoglin would have made it a few weeks ago, but he struggled badly down the stretch.

If he didn't play for Duke, he would probably be playing for UNC...He was the #3 recruit in the country...Generally speaking, Duke and UNC are the only 2 teams getting that player.

On top of that, as I said, he averaged 17 PPG for most of the ACC season...He was the best player on the second best team. He took over games at times and hit that shot vs UNC. Most people I have heard commenting about him had him on the first team.

Really, I think the guy you can argue even more doesn't belong is Henson...but he is so good defensively that he should be on the first team. But I think Marshall should be in over Henson and Rivers...and I think Rivers gets a slight edge on Henson.

Either way, this is really a 6 player first team list this year...i think a lot of it had to do with people not having 4 Tarheels on the first team.

Either way, Stoglin isn't the guy that "got screwed" here. It was Marshall...and if Marshall made it, it would have been Rivers.

If he didn't play for Duke, he would probably be playing for UNC...He was the #3 recruit in the country...Generally speaking, Duke and UNC are the only 2 teams getting that player.

Really, Duke and UNC are the only teams that get Top 5 players?

I don't have any problem with him making the first team. I'm not even saying he's not worthy of it. Just saying that if he put up identical numbers at Florida State or Virginia or Boston College, he doesn't make the first team. The media would have spouted some nonsense about a freshman not being worthy of it. But again, that's one of the perks of going to an elite program.

And BTW I agree whole-heartedly regarding Stoglin. He was basically the 7th highest vote getter, which is right where he should have been.

Really, Duke and UNC are the only teams that get Top 5 players?

I don't have any problem with him making the first team. I'm not even saying he's not worthy of it. Just saying that if he put up identical numbers at Florida State or Virginia or Boston College, he doesn't make the first team. The media would have spouted some nonsense about a freshman not being worthy of it. But again, that's one of the perks of going to an elite program.

And BTW I agree whole-heartedly regarding Stoglin. He was basically the 7th highest vote getter, which is right where he should have been.

In the ACC, yes.

And I disagree with you...If FSU or BC had Rivers and played the same and they were the second best team and he was the best player on that team, he gets on the first team.

Archived