Disco Dan Ford

hallmt18

I was just looking something up and came across Dan Ford's career statistics, and something weird popped out at me: how in the world did he steal 9 bases for the 1983 Orioles? I remember as being kind of an old creaky-kneed guy, and Earl's teams weren't known for stolen bases. This just seemed like an odd stat.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/fordda01.shtml

I too remember him as being fairly slow, but the main hing I remember about him was his extreme closed stance. I used that stance in little league for awhile and hit one of my longest home runs using that stance. Not sure why I stop using it but I do remember that stance. He was a cool looking dude though.

5322394255_ca7ede6d67.jpg

5322394255_ca7ede6d67.jpg.fd8cf94a526471

I think 1976 was the year I spent in my basement watching O's games. Ford and Lyman Bostock and Rod Carew led the Twins. I just googled and found Mike Cubbage, Larry Hisle and some other good players on that team. Bert Blyleven. A big gap hitter as I recall.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
I think we traded Doug Decines for him to make room for Cal on third. In retrospect that was a pretty awful trade.

I believe DeCinces was traded (can't remember which team) without him knowing it but the deal feel through. The Orioles was going to keep him but DeCinces was so angry that he told the Orioles just go ahead and trade him and that's how he ended up with the Angels. I do believe if DeCinces had stayed we win the AL East in 1982.

Archived