Big test for Matusz today

El Gordo

This is certainly a possibility - but even if he's not "dominant" he can have significant value.

As for this game, he may have been touched up early, but he's stabilized, and he's got 4:1 K/BB ratio. I still think he's on track for a very good year.

I don't know about "very good year". After last year I would be happy to have him back in the mid-to-low 4's, ERA-wise.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is certainly a possibility - but even if he's not "dominant" he can have significant value.

As for this game, he may have been touched up early, but he's stabilized, and he's got 4:1 K/BB ratio. I still think he's on track for a very good year.

I almost made a bet with a Rays fan today on who would have the better year, Matusz or Hellickson. He wasn't familiar with ERA+ which is what I wanted to use to judge who had the better year.

I'll go on record with him having a good year as well. Not only is has his K/BB rate been good but he's getting a good number of groundballs. Granted, I'm only following on gametrack but it seems to me the only one who has touched him up has been Cabrera with 2 doubles. The other 3 hits were singles and I believe two of them were groundballs.

This is the only thing that really matters right now.

Matusz has his velocity back and it has been consistent all spring. Every pitcher gets hit around once in awhile but MAtusz has looked very good all spring and there is no reason to think that he won't be with the team in Baltimore to start the season.

Agreed.

IMO the 5 starting pitchers have already been selected, now they are figuring out the rotation.

Looks like Arrieta will start OD.

Matusz today: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K's, 86 pitches, 57 strikes. He hit 93 on the gun. Nice comeback after allowing 4 straight hits to begin the game, and also enduring two Mark Reynolds throwing errors. He retired the last 9 men he faced.

On the spring: 24.2 IP, 29 H, 10 R, 10 ER, 3 BB, 22 K's, 3.65 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 8.03 K/9, 1.08 BB/9, 7.33 K/BB, .296 BAA.

A couple of other observations:

- Matusz has not allowed a HR this spring

- Matusz has induced at least 4 DP grounders - maybe more

- His BABIP against is .381

I am looking forward to vatech1994's report on this outing.

"Just came out of the gates amped up with a lot of energy," Matusz said. "The first inning, it killed me not getting ahead in the count. Gave up some two-strike hits. After that first inning, I was able to shake it off and just get back to work with Wieters. I really found a nice rhythm."

And that's the positive that Matusz will take from this start.

"Absolutely, being able to come back after a tough first and still be able to go deep in the game and keep my team in it," he said. "The defense was awesome today. Ground ball for a double play really helped out.

"I felt strong. I felt just as strong in the fifth inning as I did in the first. I was able to get my pitch count up and I was able to iron out the mechanical adjustments I've needed to."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/03/matusz-on-matusz-5.html

Are you just going to ignore the 8.2 k/9 he posted the year before? or the fact that he didn't have anything below 8.6 in the minors?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/jeremy-hellickson-and-re-defining-babip/

I am not ignoring his 2010 stats, just keeping in mind it only covered 4 starts and 36.1 IP. I don't expect Jeremy to be sent to the minors or traded for Dana Eveland this season, I just expect Matusz to be better.

I am not ignoring his 2010 stats, just keeping in mind it only covered 4 starts and 36.1 IP. I don't expect Jeremy to be sent to the minors or traded for Dana Eveland this season, I just expect Matusz to be better.

Sure, it was a short stint, but his MiL numbers are very good.

Name the price.

Sure, it was a short stint, but his MiL numbers are very good.

Name the price.

I am just happy to crow about my victory if it happens. Shame we don't have sigs anymore.

I am not really interested in a level of stakes that could cause hard feelings and the distance between us precludes something as simple as a beer.

If you can think of an amusing stake let me know.

To give you a point of reference the stake at work would have been a fiver.

Archived