O's DFA Eveland

TonySoprano

You said that from day one. You were right about him not making the big club.

He may have said it from day one that he wouldn't make the club, but he was one starter injury or flame out away from being the number 5 pitcher on the opening day roster. The Orioles got really lucky this spring with pitching.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to take into account that the Orioles have the worst rotation in baseball too though.

Sadly, I have been forced to take that into account 162 days a year for the last 14 years. And even more sadly, the new GM of my team is giving away assets for guys who aren't even worthy of being acquired for free.

Did SportsGuy predict he wouldn't make the club? I think his main point was that we shouldn't have traded anything to pick up a player of Eveland's ability, which has merit. I also think Enjoy Terror made good points in his posts.

Oh I am sure Terror did. He usually makes good sense, I had not read all of his posts yet. Been working hard today. I was of the opinion that Rob was certain he was no good. I translated that to mean he would be discarded. My bad.

With Nick Johnson and possibly Paulino needing to go on the 40 man, Bell's days are numbered anyway.

That is not necessarily true. Bell might stay. Jai Miller will get DFA'd to get him off the 40 man roster and he probably gets through waiver to Norfolk. BRob may go on the 60 day DL. That is two spots for Paulino and Nick Johnson.

He may have said it from day one that he wouldn't make the club, but he was one starter injury or flame out away from being the number 5 pitcher on the opening day roster. The Orioles got really lucky this spring with pitching.

So let me put some points together from your threads:

We have the worst rotation in baseball.

We got lucky this spring that none of these guys got hurt.

It was good to trade young players away for Eveland just in case one of the guys from the worst rotation did get hurt so that he could fill a roll on the presumably even worse, worst rotation in baseball.

:rolleyestf:

No one can say for sure, but I think Eveland would get picked up. Some teams are actually in a lot worse shape than the O's. Astros?

That's what I said yesterday so, yeah, I think someone will. The minimum salary is something like 450K. A team might not want to spend 750K on a player in the minors (Orioles) but I don't think a 750K salary is going to stop a team than plans on having him in the majors. Get the difference?

Yea...so then you think some team would want Eveland for the majors, right now?

It's probably worth pointing out that at the time of Eveland's acquisition we had not yet signed Wada or Chen. I think discussions were seriously in the works for Wada, but Chen wasn't signed for another month at that point. Actually, the Guthrie trade didn't happen either, and that added effectively another arm that was guaranteed to make the team. I think lacking those guys in the pitching discussion does justify, to some extent, DD's eagerness to move some irrelevant minor league pieces for pitching depth. Eveland probably makes the team at this point if these pickups don't happen, and it was probably late enough into the winter that DD felt that two inconsequential minor leaguers was a pretty small price to pay for essential depth like that.

So let me put some points together from your threads:

We have the worst rotation in baseball.

We got lucky this spring that none of these guys got hurt.

It was good to trade young players away for Eveland just in case one of the guys from the worst rotation did get hurt so that he could fill a roll on the presumably even worse, worst rotation in baseball.

:rolleyestf:

1. We have the worst rotation in baseball. Arguably.

2. We got lucky this spring that none of these guys got hurt. Not exactly. We got lucky that our "prospects" aka Matusz and Arrieta came back healthy. We actually have a decent rotation if those two plus Britton come back healthy and perform.

3. It was good to trade young players away for Eveland. Don't confuse "young players" with "good players". Angle was more of a prospect then Martin was and we let him go for nothing; no one made a huge stink about THAT. At least with Martin we got the opportunity to have Eveland in the event we have to address our consistently unhealthy rotation.

You mean like Britton?

If anything this move shows the Orioles arent high on Ryan Adams either. Bell is about 10th on the depth chart right now.. I'm not sure where they play Wheeler. Does he have to stay on the 25 man? What happened to Flaherty and Antonelli, Betemit and Andino? How many 2B does a team need?? Does this mean Reynolds days are numbered?

If anything this move shows the Orioles arent high on Ryan Adams either. Bell is about 10th on the depth chart right now.. I'm not sure where they play Wheeler. Does he have to stay on the 25 man? What happened to Flaherty and Antonelli, Betemit and Andino? How many 2B does a team need?? Does this mean Reynolds days are numbered?

Wheeler is a 3B and will replace Bell when he is released.

Wheeler is a 3B and will replace Bell when he is released.

Well if he can play defense at 3B then Wheeler has value to this team. Decent OBP and defense at 3B would be outstanding and make Reynolds at 3B expendable. But Im typing this without knowing if Wheeler can play defense. Now looking at his page Wheeler had 32 errors in 93 games at SS in 2010, and 4 errors in 36 at 3B. He had 13 errors in 74 games at 3B last year. I dont think he plays good defense.

Archived