BOLD Predictions

SilentJames

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Kevin Gregg is released by May 15th

2) Orioles flirt with .500 through August, win 75 games

3) Orioles announce the are accepting offers for team/MASN.....then announce they have decided not to sell several months later

4) #3 sends my life into a tailspin from which I don't recover until I am on a yet undetermined A&E television program

So far I'm batting .250........if I struck out a lot and played subpar defense I'd be an upgrade at 3B. :D

- Riemold >30 HR

- Arrieta finishes season in AAA, but Tillman manages to eventually claim and hold a MLB spot.

- O's have a pitching staff that finishes in the top half of the majors

- .825+ OPS from Markakis.

- Red Sox miss the playoffs

- Nats don't miss the playoffs.

- Votto resigns with Cinci for at least $180M

Well I bolded the ones that aren't going to happen (although Markakis still definitely has hope, as he's at .786. Everything else looks like its on track, unless the Red Sox continue their push.

1) Kevin Gregg is released by May 15th.

2) Orioles flirt with .500 through August, win 75 games.

3) Orioles announce the are accepting offers for team/MASN ..... then announce they have decided not to sell several months later

4) #3 sends my life into a tailspin from which I don't recover until I am on a yet undetermined A&E television program

So, far I'm batting .250 ........ if I struck out a lot and played sub-par defense, I'd be an upgrade at 3B. :D

In fairness to you, your batting average really should be .500.

If Gregg had pitched very well this season, then you would have been flat-out wrong. The only reason why Kevin Gregg was not been released at or around the time that you predicted is because ........ well, you know why.

• 4 weeks later...
The Orioles finish over .500 for the first time in 15 years.

Matt Wieters is in the running for AL MVP.

And finally, the most bold prediction of all....

Tony Pente will buy a Mike Mussina Orioles jersey by the end of the year! :D

Did Pente buy that Moose jersey yet?

If not, I'm 1 for 3 so far!

• 2 months later...

End of the season, so time to review our bold predictions!!!

- Riemold >30 HR

- Arrieta finishes season in AAA, but Tillman manages to eventually claim and hold a MLB spot.

- O's have a pitching staff that finishes in the top half of the majors

- .825+ OPS from Markakis.

- Red Sox miss the playoffs

- Nats don't miss the playoffs.

- Votto resigns with Cinci for at least $180M

I highlighted the only one that didn't work for me, so I got 6/7 this year. Should probably start doing prop bets next year....

How did everyone else do?

End of the season, so time to review our bold predictions!!!

I highlighted the only one that didn't work for me, so I got 6/7 this year. Should probably start doing prop bets next year....

How did everyone else do?

Arrieta didn't finish the season in AAA, he finished it in the pen.

One of Markakis, Jones, or Wieters will miss 50+ games this year. Right, Markakis missed 58.

At least one member of the opening day rotation will throw fewer than 50 MLB innings in 2012. Wrong, although three members of the rotation were thrown overboard.

Nick Johnson turns into Willie Randolph, hitting .281/.376/.342. In 72 games. Wrong. The line was reasonable, but he had closer to 72 at bats than games.

Dana Eveland still makes a half dozen starts for the Orioles this year. Wrong, but not terribly wrong. Eveland pitched 14 games made two starts.

Pat Neshek leads the team in saves with 14. 100% wrong.

Wada throws 120 innings, 30 relief appearances, 10 starts, 3.45 ERA. 500% wrong.

Chen, Wada, and Flaherty all get one vote for ROY. Wrong, although I guess it's still plausible Chen gets that one vote.

The O's team ERA gets 0.75 better than last year. Right, and then some. If you want to be picky I guess this counts as a wrong since they didn't improve by exactly 0.75.

I think I did about as well as Mark Reynolds' batting average...

1. Adam Jones is traded to the Phillies. Dominic Brown is part of the package coming to Baltimore. 0-1

2. The Orioles have 8 players hit more than 15 home runs. (Reynolds, Hardy, Jones, Markakis, Johnson, Reimold, Betemit and Wieters.)0-2

3. The Orioles are buyers and sellers at the trade deadline. 0-3

4. The Orioles finish the season with an OBP above .340 for the first time since 2004.0-4]

5. The Orioles eclipse the 200 Home Run mark for the first time since 1999.1-5

6. The Orioles pitching staff pitches to a team ERA less than 4.5 for the first time since 2002.2-6

7. The Orioles have 1 starter eclipse 15 W's, and 3 others with more than 10.2-7

8. The Orioles finally finish above .500 and do not finish last in the division.3-8

I didn't do terrible.

Let's get real. This is a horrible team in a home run park in the toughest division in Baseball.

1. Orioles win 59 games; losing over 100 for the first time since 1988.

2. The Orioles trade both Nick Markakis and Adam Jones by the trade deadline

3. No starter wins 10 games.

4. The Orioles commit 124 errors, lead by Mark Reynold's 38.

5. The Orioles have 15 different pitchers start games for them in 2012.

6. The Orioles pitching staff pitches to a team ERA greater than 5.2 for the first time since 2006.

7. The Orioles pitching staff gives up the most home runs in A.L. history, eclipsing the 1996 Detroit Tiger's 241.

1. The Orioles won 34 more games than you predicted.

2. Neither player was traded and Jones extended.

3. Chen lead them team with 12 wins.

4. The Orioles committed 106 Errors. Reynolds only had 11 of them.

5. The Orioles used 12 starts. Chen had the most starts and Eveland and Wolf tied with the fewest at 2 each.

6. The Orioles pitched to a 3.90 ERA. 1.2 less than you predicted.

7. The Orioles allowed 184 home runs. 61 less than the 1996 Tigers.

The beauty of this all is that I'm sure you are glad you were so wrong.

Archived