Matusz Tonight

OFFNY

Among other things, I'm glad to see Matusz was so pitch-efficient tonight. I see no reason I shouldn't be encouraged. I hope to get some commentary from Matusz, Griffin, or people who saw this game. Was it on MiLB.TV?

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MATUSZ' 4 HITS: Of the 4 singles Matusz surrendered, 2 were infield singles, 1 was a soft blooper in between the infield and outfield, and 1 was a lined-shot single.

MATUSZ' 27 OUTS: 11 ground-outs (2 double plays), 5 fly-outs, 2 infield pop-outs, 2 line-outs to infielders, 1 line-out to outfielder, and 4 strikeouts.

MATUSZ' 4 HITS: Of the 4 singles Matusz surrendered, 2 were infield singles, 1 was a soft blooper in between the infield and outfield, and 1 was a lined-shot single.

MATUSZ' 27 OUTS: 11 ground-outs (2 double plays), 5 fly-outs, 2 infield pop-outs, 2 line-outs to infielders, 1 line-out to outfielder, and 4 strikeouts.

Were you watching? If so, what was he throwing? Did he use his change-up much, and if so, was he getting results with it?

Were you watching? If so, what was he throwing? Did he use his change-up much, and if so, was he getting results with it?

No, Frank. I had the MiLB package last year, but not this year. I was only listening on the Norfolk radio station. Sorry. :(

I'll feel a lot better when his strikeout numbers go up. When he has around 7-8 K's a game, that's when we'll know he's back to what made him special in 2010. Until then, just let him pitch down there and regain his confidence. Definitely good to see him have such a dominant performance, though.

I really think him going down for a few starts is what he needed. Hard to work on things, while pitching every 5th day with the pressure of being in the ML. He'll be back in a week or two and be what we all hope he is. Has not lost confidence in him or Jake. They are both young and still trying to figure it out.

Who is this Matusz kid tearing up AAA? Maybe we should give him a shot. In all seriousness though, he should stay down there for about 3 weeks and do this every time. He never looks like he has any fire in him when he pitches, does he have any documented anxiety disorders? Dont the O's have a psychiatrist on staff this year?

Yeah, this almost makes me more disheartened than if he pitched mediocrely. It means there's something happening at the big league level that's keeping him from succeeding. And it means Peterson might not be the answer. I dunno. What a confusing player this guy is.

Come on would you rather him get knocked around at AAA? It just shows there is a fine line between success and failure at the Major League level. Confidence is a big thing and maybe Brian will regain it back at Norfolk. Lets not give up on him yet.

We really need to stop thinking that pitching is some binary thing, with the head and the body being separate causes for problems. It's great that Brian had a good start, but the fact is, he needs to get to the point where he commands his FB at will and throws his change in any count. That's not going to be a slow process, necessarily. No matter how decent his results are.

Plus, he struck out only 4 in 9IP tonight. That matters.

We really need to stop thinking that pitching is some binary thing, with the head and the body being separate causes for problems. It's great that Brian had a good start, but the fact is, he needs to get to the point where he commands his FB at will and throws his change in any count. That's not going to be a slow process, necessarily. No matter how decent his results are.

Plus, he struck out only 4 in 9IP tonight. That matters.

Agree, you get hit around and start nibbling, trying to make the perfect pitch everytime and the mistakes multiply.

Lets not look too much into this Matusz pitching performance tonight. It is good to see him pitch well but the line up he faced was terrible. The highest average in the line up that he faced was .275 in AAA. Take a look at this line up he faced.

Charlotte Knights

Player Pos AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG

Tyler Kuhn LF 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .275

Drew Garcia 2B 4 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 .239

Dan Johnson 1B 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .277

Conor Jackson RF 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .259

Dallas McPherson DH 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .236

Jeff Baisley 3B 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 .109

Josh Phegley C 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .267

Ray Olmedo SS 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .249

Justin Greene CF 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .228

BATTING

Lets not look too much into this Matusz pitching performance tonight. It is good to see him pitch well but the line up he faced was terrible. The highest average in the line up that he faced was .275 in AAA. Take a look at this line up he faced.

Charlotte Knights

Player Pos AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG

Tyler Kuhn LF 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .275

Drew Garcia 2B 4 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 .239

Dan Johnson 1B 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .277

Conor Jackson RF 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .259

Dallas McPherson DH 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .236

Jeff Baisley 3B 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 .109

Josh Phegley C 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .267

Ray Olmedo SS 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .249

Justin Greene CF 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .228

BATTING

That's a great point. That's a truly pathetic lineup, and honestly, any decent major league pitcher could have shut that team out.

It's basically a lineup of Robert Andino's with a Steve Tolleson and Steve Pearce thrown in. Maybe even worse than that. McPherson is a washed up bust, and Jackson has been a shell of a hitter ever since he contracted Valley Fever a few years ago. Dan Johnson has some raw power but I'm sure he struggles against lefties.

I would want to see Matusz dominate for a good 3 or 4 more starts before even entertaining bringing him back. Plus I doubt he's even had a chance to work much with Petersen yet.

Archived