Matusz Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what his YTD ERAs are, both as a starter and in relief, including the playoff appearances?

REGULAR SEASON

2012 ERA: 4.87 OO [sTARTER: 5.42] OO [RELIEVER: 1.35]

POSTSEASON

2012 ERA: 0.00 OO.[All in Relief]

COMBINED

2012 ERA: 4.74 OO [sTARTER: 5.42] OO [RELIEVER: 1.12]

He was nails the last two nights. I'm very impressed with what I see from him with the exception of the change up which is still too hard, straight, and has a slower arm speed. If he could get that pitch back, look out. I was so happy for him tonight. Our seats were right next to the dugout. Several of the coaches went out of their way to congratulate Brian after the game while walking off the field. The contributions that he and O'Day made were just phenomenal.

A brief pat on the back. I thought Brian would be ok even when he was struggling badly last year and earlier this year. I had high hopes for Tillman when most thought he was junk. I thought Arrieta was the least likely to be successful. This was when the whole world had it the other way and Arrieta was riding the opening day success in May. I'm feeling pretty good about those calls at this point. I still hope I'm wrong about Jake, but I'd either turn him into a reliever or try to trade him for value. I don't think it'll ever be there consistently.

Matusz has been lights out. I will be the first to admit that I owe him one huge apology. Thought the guy was an attitude issue and going to be a bust. Looking more and more like he is getting his Mojo back and at the very least his future value has skyrocketed.

He just looks like a different person and as well as a different pitcher -- the way he stands on the mound and carries himself. It would be great to try to figure out in the off-season whether some of that can be applied to Jake, or maybe others.

As I've said before, this is not a great pitching staff, but I can't recall one that has been deeper in quality arms.

He just looks like a different person and as well as a different pitcher -- the way he stands on the mound and carries himself. It would be great to try to figure out in the off-season whether some of that can be applied to Jake, or maybe others.

As I've said before, this is not a great pitching staff, but I can't recall one that has been deeper in quality arms.

I thought that Jake showed some signs of confidence though he lacked the results as consistently as Matusz showed.

All things considered I looked at Jakes stint in relief down the stretch as something he can build on.

Brian is obviously talented. I think sometimes when a guy who is clearly that talented kinda falls on their face the way he did last year, it takes a bit to recover the full confidence. Seems to me like he has it back and I would not be overly shocked if he ends up being a whole lot closer to the pitcher we all thought he would be next year.

He was nails the last two nights. I'm very impressed with what I see from him with the exception of the change up which is still too hard, straight, and has a slower arm speed. If he could get that pitch back, look out. I was so happy for him tonight. Our seats were right next to the dugout. Several of the coaches went out of their way to congratulate Brian after the game while walking off the field. The contributions that he and O'Day made were just phenomenal.

A brief pat on the back. I thought Brian would be ok even when he was struggling badly last year and earlier this year. I had high hopes for Tillman when most thought he was junk. I thought Arrieta was the least likely to be successful. This was when the whole world had it the other way and Arrieta was riding the opening day success in May. I'm feeling pretty good about those calls at this point. I still hope I'm wrong about Jake, but I'd either turn him into a reliever or try to trade him for value. I don't think it'll ever be there consistently.

Amazing what a few months can do. If Matusz can ever find that change he had in college and his first few years of pro ball you've got your TOR starter and the Os rotation of the future is scary. And if not you at least know you have a potential Arthur Rhodes type late inning guy. I'm kind of surprised that Jake hasn't found success in the pen. Rick Peterson and Buck seem to still like him so who knows?

BRIAN MATUSZ O(vs. YANKEES, 10/10)O [A.L.D.S. * Game Three]

IP:O 1-Plus

H:o. 2

R:O. 1

BB:. 0

SO:. 1

Pitches: 12 (8 Strike, 4 Balls)

BRIAN MATUSZ' 22 RELIEF APPEARANCES IN 2012O (18 Regular Season, 4 Playoff Games)

Pitches: 240 (170 Strikes, 70 Balls) ***

*** Minus 1 intentional walk, Matusz' overall ratio is: 236 (170 Strikes, 66 Balls)

O

BRIAN MATUSZ O(vs. YANKEES, 10/10)O [A.L.D.S. * Game Three]

IP:O 1-Plus

H:o. 2

R:O. 1

BB:. 0

SO:. 1

Pitches: 12 (8 Strike, 4 Balls)

BRIAN MATUSZ' 22 RELIEF APPEARANCES IN 2012O (18 Regular Season, 4 Playoff Games)

Pitches: 240 (170 Strikes, 70 Balls) ***

*** Minus 1 intentional walk, Matusz' overall ratio is: 236 (170 Strikes, 66 Balls)

O

Even with that homer tonight, I'm still proud of Brian's progress. I hope it restores his confidence and perhaps he can still be a starter but if not at least we know he can pitch out of the pen.

Archived