Why aren't people complaining about Betemit's defense?

Sports Guy

OK. I'm willing to stop and I don't think that we're in different corners.

Nolan has played really poorly in LF so far. I want him to get a full year in there and then we can cast him in the right role.

Mark has played many years at 3B. I want him to stay there right now and try to re-establish value because that is the best outcome for the team and all other options seem far worse / more damaging for me.

I would not sacrifice Nolan's time this year to establish his value in LF in the same sense that I would not take away Davis' time this year to establish his value at 1B JUST to accomodate Mark Reynolds suckitude at 3B, because I think that Nolan and Chris Davis could give us plenty of offense, comparable to Mark Reynolds (maybe a tick behind, but comparable).

If Nolan sucks in LF after a full year, then we should do with him what makes sense depending on his bat.

If Chris Davis can't hit this year, then do what makes sense.

(But) taking away the opportunity, both for the organization and for those two players to have the chance to establish their own values just to try to salvage Mark Reynolds seems to me a travesty.

Just put those guys in those 3 positions and play the games.

Play Chavez as a defensive replacement, but not as platoon.

Play Nick Johnson once in a while.

Play Wilson Betemit once in a while.

Go O's. Go Nolan. Go Chris. Go Mark.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt there's much difference between Reynolds current defense and Betemit's. Historically we could expect Reynold to be a little better but ssill subpar. We could also expect him to be better offensively. Right now he's neither, so go with the hot hand. Betemit played today because Reynolds had a sore throat, they were playing on turf, and Betemit has been hitting. I'm sure we'll see Reynolds a lot at 3B for the near future any way. I don't think any decisions should be made after 9 games.

OK. I'm willing to stop and I don't think that we're in different corners.

Nolan has played really poorly in LF so far. I want him to get a full year in there and then we can cast him in the right role.

Mark has played many years at 3B. I want him to stay there right now and try to re-establish value because that is the best outcome for the team and all other options seem far worse / more damaging for me.

I would not sacrifice Nolan's time this year to establish his value in LF in the same sense that I would not take away Davis' time this year to establish his value at 1B JUST to accomodate Mark Reynolds suckitude at 3B, because I think that Nolan and Chris Davis could give us plenty of offense, comparable to Mark Reynolds (maybe a tick behind, but comparable).

If Nolan sucks in LF after a full year, then we should do with him what makes sense depending on his bat.

If Chris Davis can't hit this year, then do what makes sense.

(But) taking away the opportunity, both for the organization and for those two players to have the chance to establish their own values just to try to salvage Mark Reynolds seems to me a travesty.

Just put those guys in those 3 positions and play the games.

Play Chavez as a defensive replacement, but not as platoon.

Play Nick Johnson once in a while.

Play Wilson Betemit once in a while.

Go O's. Go Nolan. Go Chris. Go Mark.

OK. Fair enough.

I just want to explain the idea of Reynolds in left field a little more thoroughly, so that we're clear on what my side is saying.

The idea is that the Orioles should have asked Reynolds this off-season to work out in the outfield. During the spring, they should have given him some practice time out there, and if able game time as well. Just to see if he could handle the position, at least with a little work.

His strengths as a defensive player--his athletic ability and his arm--suggest that he could play left field if given the opportunity, and the practice time. There is also a precedent in recent history for questionable defensive third basemen moving to left field, with Chipper Jones and Ryan Braun the two that come immediately to mind.

The goal would not be to supplant Reimold outright. Far from it; he earned his opportunity to try and grab a hold of the position, and only his play should take it away from him. However, if Reynolds were to show an aptitude for left field, it does two things:

- It gives the Orioles options on the field. We know Reynolds can hit, so the only question is finding the spot on the field where he provides the most value to the team. If he can recover, third base is the easiest place to find the value. However, we saw last year that he can be at least competent at first base (though to what level is arguable), so that is an option. Designated hitter is, of course, an option, though one with relatively low value. The ability to play left field creates an additional option to put his bat in the lineup. He also becomes insurance for Reimold. If Nolan struggles at the plate, or struggles too much in the field, Reynolds would be able to take over that position.

- It gives the Orioles flexibility in making moves. The obvious part of this is that letting other teams know Reynolds can play left would give him that much more trade value if he continues to struggle at third, making it easier to get something worthwhile back in the deal. Also, though, it allows the team to make moves with Reimold, because he could be traded if another team covets him enough without causing too much of an issue at the position. Even better, if he returns to previous levels at third in addition to showing ability in left and the possibility of first base, the Orioles could upgrade one or more of those positions while allowing Reynolds to take over another one. Plus, it makes picking up his option a far easier decision.

Obviously this is all hypothetical. The Orioles haven't shown any possibility of making this kind of move. It is based on something that could have been done in the last off-season and pre-season, and involves a projection of his defensive skills that may or may not be accurate. However, it is an interesting thought exercise because when you really think about it, it makes a great deal of sense.

I want to see Flaherty given a chance at 3B. See how he plays defense and how he hits on an everyday basis.

The O's are near the top of the league in offense. The are near the bottom on defense. I would like to see the defensive problem address with Flaherty or Antonelli and see if it helps.

Let Reynolds and Betemit share DH and back up 1B and 3B.

Reimold has earned his chance in LF and he should get a good shot at it. Chavez as the defensive replacement.

O's need to address their problem at 3B to help the pitching staff. Reynolds and Betemit are not the answers. Flaherty might be. Give him a try. There is enough offense on the O's to carry a good defensive player at 3B. At least that is what it looks like at the moment.

I want to see Flaherty given a chance at 3B. See how he plays defense and how he hits on an everyday basis.

The O's are near the top of the league in offense. The are near the bottom on defense. I would like to see the defensive problem address with Flaherty or Antonelli and see if it helps.

Let Reynolds and Betemit share DH and back up 1B and 3B.

Reimold has earned his chance in LF and he should get a good shot at it. Chavez as the defensive replacement.

O's need to address their problem at 3B to help the pitching staff. Reynolds and Betemit are not the answers. Flaherty might be. Give him a try. There is enough offense on the O's to carry a good defensive player at 3B. At least that is what it looks like at the moment.

Agree. Or even Tolleson depending on who fits the need best, but Flaherty should get the shot right now because Betemit is no answer defensively.

Reynolds is not the same defender he was in ARZ. Different parks play differently, and the way OPACY plays at 3B he is going to be a well below average 3B.

If this is true it's the first time in 20 years I've heard it suggested that OPACY is a bear to play third base in. It's not like OPACY is the only park in the majors still going by 1936 groundskeeping standards, nor are their minefields (or all kinds of bizarre angles and camera wells and the like) in foul territory.

Here's the numbers at third:

Reynolds: UZR/150, -10.8. Rtot/yr: -9

Betemit: -13.3, -11

Davis: -29, -43

But Reynolds appears to be in a fielding slump of massive proportions, lasting now over a year. So while Betemit has no real objective case for being the better long-term third baseman, he's not currently beset by mental demons and/or media/fan scrutiny. And just for completeness, Davis doesn't appear to be any kind of third baseman at all.

It's still early, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if Flaherty was getting significant reps at third sooner than later (not that Flaherty is necessarily a good defender there, but I'll take an incomplete over a D or and F). When you have Buck giving DH time to a backup catcher who really hasn't hit since an out-of-character 2007, you'd think it would be fairly painless to get Reynolds most of his PAs there. Betemit or no. Nobody in this corner IF/DH rotation is deserving of 100% playing time, so I'd hope Buck can figure a solution that involves maximizing both offensive and defensive value.

We have thread after thread started because Reynolds doesn't make a play..But yet here we are and Betimet made 2 errors this weekend.

It just kind of strengthens the point that we don't really have a third baseman that we can rely on defensively...So, put the guy out there that has shown to at least be decent in the past and try to help his value...Reynolds.

]

Amen. Great point!

I guess someone has to say it: I miss Melvin Mora. The guy was steady defensively, and pretty decent with the stick. Yes, he had his issues and was overpaid a bit at the end of his contract, but he was a decent overall package at 3B and hasn't been easy to replace.

I guess someone has to say it: I miss Melvin Mora. The guy was steady defensively, and pretty decent with the stick. Yes, he had his issues and was overpaid a bit at the end of his contract, but he was a decent overall package at 3B and hasn't been easy to replace.

If you are talking about the MM from 2003/04 to 2008, The O's will have to overpay for one of those guys and we all know thats not gonna happen so we pretty much have to use whatever options we have.

Our best option at 3B at this time is Andino. Betemit should not be starting in the field on consecutive days this early into the season.

The problem is if you put Reynolds at DH and you don't want Betemit at third where do you play Betemit? I would like to see Flaherty at third. Give him a chance to see if he can fill that spot. Of course if you then play nick and betemit at DH you don't have any place for Reynolds.

Of course if Nick Johnson doesn't start hiting his time with the club might be short.

I would like to see Andino at third, Flaherty at second and Betemit as the primary DH. Watching Reynolds at the plate is almost painful. He needs to be traded to someone who could use a temporary third or first baseman. A DH that strikes out as much as Reynolds is not what this team needs right now. They need contact

The problem is if you put Reynolds at DH and you don't want Betemit at third where do you play Betemit? I would like to see Flaherty at third. Give him a chance to see if he can fill that spot. Of course if you then play nick and betemit at DH you don't have any place for Reynolds.

Of course if Nick Johnson doesn't start hiting his time with the club might be short.

Was having this exact conversation with one of my sales reps today. Melvin Mora was a terrific trade piece. Too bad that's really all we got from the Thrift fire sale.

Reynolds is worse than advertised. Betemit is better than advertised. That's the difference.

This is a silly 1st post. Hopefully you have more to add than this. Reynolds wasn't brought in for his glove. He was obtained for the 35+ bombs. Betemit was/is the Jack of all sorts that doesnt play any position particularly well. With his bat (despite the power) he'd likely play more if he was plus on defense at any position.

Reynolds is worse than advertised. Betemit is better than advertised. That's the difference.

Good evening, Mr. Betemit. We do appreciate your effort to use local colloquialisms in your handle.

Archived