Taking the OH pulse on Andino

Todd-O

Roberts is a better hitter. :skeletor:

Roberts is a better fielder. :skeletor:

end of discussion

Roberts WAS a better hitter. Roberts WAS a better hitter.

He's aged. I think Andino is the better player right now. Roberts should not be given his job back.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all of you who think Dino can simply slide into playing 3b regularly and effectively, I just disagree. He's going to need work over there at 3b. Cal once said that it takes a full year to learn how to play 3b after he was moved there late in his career.

For all of you who think Dino can simply slide into playing 3b regularly and effectively, I just disagree. He's going to need work over there at 3b. Cal once said that it takes a full year to learn how to play 3b after he was moved there late in his career.

The phsyical/skill differences between Cal (at the time of the move) and Andino are enormous.

Andino should be a supersub in an ideal world, but not in favor of B-Rob. I don't think Roberts is an everyday player anymore. He's fragile and will need days off if/when he comes back.

If you look at his stats, 2011 was a breakout type year for him and he still only had an OPS of .670. As others have pointed out his .760 this year is aided by a really high BABIP. Even if you expect more progression, Andino is nothing more than a .700 OPS type of a player. That's solid, but not necessarily starter worthy. He doesn't hurt us as a starter, but if you are given an opportunity to upgrade, I don't see why you wouldn't.

end of discussion

Roberts in 2009 was a better hitter and fielder...an aging rusty post concussion Roberts may not be close to the level Andino is at. Plus I can't imagine Roberts playing on the big squad before the all star break.

Roberts in 2009 was a better hitter and fielder...an aging rusty post concussion Roberts may not be close to the level Andino is at. Plus I can't imagine Roberts playing on the big squad before the all star break.

Fangraphs has Roberts at -2.9 fielding in '09, they have Andino at 1.2 last season.

Baseball reference has Roberts at -1.4 DWAR in '09, they have Andino at .8 DWAR last season.

Roberts has not been an asset on defense since '07.

Fangraphs has Roberts at -2.9 fielding in '09, they have Andino at 1.2 last season.

Baseball reference has Roberts at -1.4 DWAR in '09, they have Andino at .8 DWAR last season.

Roberts has not been an asset on defense since '07.

I stand corrected.

End of discussion.

Sorry, Mayor McCheese. You don't decide when discussions are over. 7 other posters have easily rebutted your ......... your dig on Andino. I almost said "your compliment of Roberts," but it was clear just what you were doing when you made your post.

I think a lot of the Andino-bashers are missing the point. Unless Buck starts huffing glue or Andino nose-dives into a massive slump, there's no way he pulls Andino out of the lineup even for a 100%, returned-to-2009-form Roberts.

Reynolds and/or Johnson are much more likely to get scaled back, coupled with giving Hardy more days off. Even if Reynolds has a year like he did last year and catches fire, Andino will still get plenty of playing time by switching with Reynolds and Betemit between 3B and DH, and spelling Hardy and BRob. Plenty of reps there. Flaherty may suffer a bit but probably won't get much fewer opportunities than he's currently getting.

And besides, as many have said, the odds of BRob returning to form are slim. There's nothing to see here folks, and no controversy. Move along.

Bob Dino brings a lot more than his solid play to this team - gotta love the fire he brings as well. We desperately needed some guys with his attitude and swagger IMO. Unless he gets hurt, I don't wanna see Dino moved off 2B!

I like this post... There's quite a few O's on the team that I really enjoy watching... In fact, this year Gregg is really the only player that makes me roll my eyes. But Andino is especially fun. Perhaps it's his feistiness. Or his productivity?

Bottom line... I'm a huge fan of players that are over looked, or passed on, that ignite and play well. He had that awesome September last season... For me, it was totally unexpected and tons of fun to watch. And it really has translated into a good start to this young season. He hustles. He looks legitimately excited to be playing... He makes heads-up plays. I know those are cliche, but you know what I mean. I'm a big Andino fan.

April 2011 Brian Roberts : 103 AB 12 R 27 H 6 2B 1 3B 3 HR 19 RBI .262 BA .733 OPS

April 2012 Robert Andino: 74 AB 9 R 23 H 3 2B 1 3B 1 HR 6 RBI .311 BA .757 OPS

Roberts can still hit. Andino may be statistically a better fielder percentage wise but Roberts could make plays to his right and left that Andino sometimes has trouble with.

I am not an Andino hater. His numbers are very skewed due to a small sample size they will go down and average out and people will calm down. He is doing well at the 9 spot and being around average/slightly above average second baseman.

April 2011 Brian Roberts : 103 AB 12 R 27 H 6 2B 1 3B 3 HR 19 RBI .262 BA .733 OPS

April 2012 Robert Andino: 74 AB 9 R 23 H 3 2B 1 3B 1 HR 6 RBI .311 BA .757 OPS

Roberts can still hit. Andino may be statistically a better fielder percentage wise but Roberts could make plays to his right and left that Andino sometimes has trouble with.

I am not an Andino hater. His numbers are very skewed due to a small sample size they will go down and average out and people will calm down. He is doing well at the 9 spot and being around average/slightly above average second baseman.

The problem with arguments like yours is that they're based entirely on your subjective, unsupportable opinion. You don't know what Roberts can still do. None of us do. And your opinions are "buttressed" by downplaying the numbers that Andino is currently posting. Again, there's no objectivity...it all boils down to "I'd wager that Roberts is the superior player."

Wasted energy.

Archived