Taking the OH pulse on Andino

Todd-O

I just saw this tweet from britt:

@Britt_Ghiroli: No timetable still, but hes on the roadtrip. Andino would still as utility guy. RT @bioniclime Any idea when Brian Roberts is coming back?

Honestly my reaction is: Andino made a utility guy? Are you serious?

I'd love to see what fellow Bird fans think... But, IMHO, Andino had made a great case to remain a starter. If anything, Roberts should be relegated to utility and DH.

Andino has had an impact on this team... He's playing well now in many ways (e.g., that heads-up backup play on Reynolds missed grounder yesterday was a smart head-in-the-game play)... I just can't imagine making him a utility guy.

Am I missing something?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Britt_Ghiroli: No timetable still, but hes on the roadtrip. Andino would still as utility guy. RT @bioniclime Any idea when Brian Roberts is coming back?

I'd love to see what fellow Bird fans think... But, IMHO, Andino had made a great case to remain a starter. If anything, Roberts should be relegated to utility and DH.

Andino has had an impact on this team... He's playing well now in many ways (e.g., that heads-up backup play on Reynolds missed grounder yesterday was a smart head-in-the-game play)... I just can't imagine making him a utility guy.

Am I missing something?

You are missing him sliding over to third if Roberts comes back.

I think that is significantly more likely then Andino becoming a super utility guy. Even if he was put into that role, I think he would be starting almost everyday somewhere.

I will still be shocked if Roberts comes back and can produce positive WAR.

Am I missing something?

There's no way Roberts should automatically just slot right back in where he left off. I don't think Buck would allow that to happen. I agree that Roberts, if able to swing the bat well, should be DH for a while to see where he's at before he's even considered to take back his spot at 2B.

Reminds me of when Ballack wanted to come back and be captain for the German national football (aka soccer) team and couldn't understand why Lahm was so against giving up that title. The team moves on.

Am I missing something?

There was a huge case of Andinoitis going around here last Oct & Nov. I wasn't infected. I thought (and to date still think) he is a super utility guy. I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

Andino is the type of guy who is a supersub on really good teams. Even if Roberts comes back, he won't be playing every day, and Andino will get plenty of at bats.

I disagree. Every team, except maybe the MFY, has a guy like Andino in a starting role.

There's a reason other teams were interested in him this offseason. I want to see what he can do over a full season before declaring anything, but I like him more and more. It also doesn't hurt that he seems to have a real joy for the game. I loved his reaction to the walk-off yesterday.

I like Andino a lot, but he's far from BRob circa 05-09. He needs to bunt and learn to steal if he wants to reach his full potential. That said, he's a lot closer to being BRob then I imagine BRob is to being BRob, so I'm happy to have him. I don't think you can hand Roberts the position back without real evidence he's an upgrade to the team.

Archived