Taking the OH pulse on Andino

Todd-O

How are they going to come to this conclusion? Unlike you who seems to have reached it already based on nothing, they will have to see him play. Then it's like any other player who is not cutting it. You work out something with him. I really don't see the problem. The easiest thing IMO would be to agree to release him if he is willing to restructure his contract and spread it out over 10 years or so. Then he can try to sign on with another team, if he feels he can still play.

First off how is relevant to my proposed scenario?

Secondly, they have baseball experts that should be able to judge the ability of baseball players that are playing in minor league rehab games.

Thank you for eventually answering my question.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off how is relevant to my proposed scenario?

Secondly, they have baseball experts that should be able to judge the ability of baseball players that are playing in minor league rehab games.

Thank you for eventually answering my question.

You're better off banging your head against a wall.

You're better off banging your head against a wall.

He did eventually answer me. Near as I could tell he would have the O's release him after trying to arrange some sort of buyout/restructuring so he could try and catch on with another team.

That is actually pretty much where I am on the topic.

What I am asking is: Do you think the O's owe Roberts a chance to play on the MLB team if they think his performance will hurt the team more then it helps?

Hard to imagine a healthy Roberts performing much worse either defensively or offensively than, say, Nick Johnson or Reynolds are doing right now. Of course, that can change, but if this trend continues and Roberts comes back reasonably healthy and ready to play, I'd take him at 2nd base and put Andino at third full time in a heartbeat. Betemit could then be your DH and shift to third with Andino at SS or 2nd to give either Hardy/Brob a day off. Flaherty could get some reps in there too as needed.

You'd then be able to cut/bench/ship to minors Johnson or Reynolds, whichever one still can't get his crap together by the time Roberts comes back (my money's on Johnson still being clueless in a few months, remember Reynolds was pretty awful last April too).

To leverage the full versatility of Andino, combined with the ability of 4 different guys to play 3rd base and 3 possible 1st basemen really lets you ride the hot hand as a manager.

As the manager, you gotta let Andino stick at 2B until he gives you a reason to put Brob in, and Bron himself gives you a reason to put him in. His improvement and play over the past year+ has earned him at least that, not to mention his constant drive and incredible passion. I've become a pretty big Andino fan despite not liking him at the end of 2010, early 2011.

If Roberts tears up the minors and is hitting well out of the DH spot, let him play 2B when Andino is filling in elsewhere for another infielder, such as Hardy or 3B.

This whole discussion is probably moot though because I don't see how anyone in their right mind could actually envision a successful Roberts comeback. The idea of him coming back and playing at a plus level in any facet of the game seems preposterous to me.

First of all -- I know some posters were skeptical that Andino would be as good in 2012 as he was in 2011. So far, he has been better. Right now, he is playing as an above average starting 2B. You don't move a guy off his position that easily when he is performing at an above average level.

Second of all -- we have no idea how good BRob will be when he comes back, whether he'll be able to play pretty much every day, how his defense will look, etc. So, I don't see that he is just going to be slotted into 2B every day and Andino will have to find another spot.

Third -- let's assume BRob comes back, hitting very well and playing acceptable defense. Yes, in that scenario I could see Andino becoming a super-utility type, but he'd still have to be in the lineup 75% of the time or more. He's the best defensive 3B we have, so I'd expect him to get a fair amount of time there, and also play a pretty significant amount at 2B with BRob perhaps DHing, not to mention spelling Hardy.

I am one of those that was/is skeptical. While I am not convinced he is a 750ish OPS, I am at this point willing to let him prove me wrong. There is no way I move him from where he is at this point for Brian Roberts.

Archived