Machado with seven errors already?

Ohfan67

I agree with you -- very much so. Which is why I was surprised to see you slag Harper's line of .256/.329/.395 as an 18 year old in the Eastern League.

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying about Harper. I was never saying that what he did in the minors wasn't extremely impressive. I was simply saying his line did not suggest that he was going to come up to the majors and be so dominant right away that his first game was a "must see" in the same sense that Strasburg's first game was a "must see."

Having made that statement, I did see Harper's double in his debut game, and highlights of his games since then, and I fully understand what the excitement is about. The kid is a stud. I never doubted it, but watching him play you really can see the talent that is there, and he really was exciting from the moment he stepped on the field.

I don't think many scouts or analysts put Machado in the same class as Harper. That is no embarrassment. Harper was on the cover of SI at the age of 16 and is basically considered the best hitting prospect of the last decade or more. I don't expect Machado to be as good a hitter as Harper, or even close. But he could still be an excellent-hitting, solid fielding shortstop, the kind of guy who makes multiple all-star teams. That will suffice.

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying about Harper. I was never saying that what he did in the minors wasn't extremely impressive. I was simply saying his line did not suggest that he was going to come up to the majors and be so dominant right away that his first game was a "must see" in the same sense that Strasburg's first game was a "must see."

Having made that statement, I did see Harper's double in his debut game, and highlights of his games since then, and I fully understand what the excitement is about. The kid is a stud. I never doubted it, but watching him play you really can see the talent that is there, and he really was exciting from the moment he stepped on the field.

I don't think many scouts or analysts put Machado in the same class as Harper. That is no embarrassment. Harper was on the cover of SI at the age of 16 and is basically considered the best hitting prospect of the last decade or more. I don't expect Machado to be as good a hitter as Harper, or even close. But he could still be an excellent-hitting, solid fielding shortstop, the kind of guy who makes multiple all-star teams. That will suffice.

I was just teasing you a bit. Agreed that Machado is not in Harper's class as a prospect (which is why it's frustrating sometimes to read sources like Baseball America drop lines like "Machado might be the better future player between the two" or "Machado is the rare true five-tool prospect" -- it sets unfair expectations for Manny).

I agree Machado should be a very good MLB player.

I was just teasing you a bit. Agreed that Machado is not in Harper's class as a prospect (which is why it's frustrating sometimes to read sources like Baseball America drop lines like "Machado might be the better future player between the two" or "Machado is the rare true five-tool prospect" -- it sets unfair expectations for Manny).

I agree Machado should be a very good MLB player.

Dare I say, "the next Cal Ripken"? He's got the hands, the glove, the arm, the nice bat, the GIDP - er - four tools.

I am still curious to hear from folks who have seen him play some games this year. I have been surprised at how little Machado chat there has been this season.

Because we are winning on the major league level we are not yearning for the prospects as much. Which is a good sign.

Because we are winning on the major league level we are not yearning for the prospects as much. Which is a good sign.

Totally disagree. If that were true then there wouldn't be a dozen Dylan Bundy threads that were many pages long. Excitement for Dylan might be stealing the thunder from Machado a bit, but I think it may be more that Machado is not putting up exciting numbers. They may be solid numbers for a 19 year old prospect, but they are not exciting. Anyway, I wish there was more discussion by people who are seeing Machado and Schoop in person.

His numbers are now .269/.379/.812. Not bad at all.
Last ten games: .321/.457/.921; again, not bad at all. Only disappointment - 0 HR, but the .457 OBP (.378 on the year) is awesome for a player his age at this level of competition.

I have been to every home game this year and Machado is as advertized, very good defender and not overmatched at the plate. Schoop is a very good defender, much better than I thought last year, but he is overmatched at the plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Roberts was impressed at Bowie last night

"Manny made a great play and got that ball to me quick," Roberts said. "I've turned enough double plays to know he wasn't going to be close enough to get to me. It's fun to watch these guys play. Manny made two plays tonight that probably 28 out of 30 major league shortstops don't make. J.J. being one of the ones that would make them, of course."

He is also batting .306 for May

Archived