Callis on the Orioles' draft

I think 2009 O's draft class is an extreme example of grabbing "overslot" guys. Especially considering the guys the O's paid weren't really Day 1 talents, regardless of health/college commitments.

I agree that is why I used it as my example. I think that folks are under the impression that it is easy to identify and draft "overslot" guys.

Arrieta would be an example of a good choice for an overslot pick except he didn't slide into the 11+ rounds.

I agree that is why I used it as my example. I think that folks are under the impression that it is easy to identify and draft "overslot" guys.

Arrieta would be an example of a good choice for an overslot pick except he didn't slide into the 11+ rounds.

Right. Your example definitely fits nicely with your point. I don't know that I'd hold it up as an example of an organization aggressively going after talent that fell due to cost -- more like an organization buying some lotto tickets.

I'd rather have the guy who most scouts see as a first rounder with some reason that knocks him out of that round than 5 guys who belong being drafted in the 6th through 10th rounds.

So, who were these guys that the Sox and Jays picked in Round 11+ who were "first rounders", and how many of them were there, to compensate for the organizational filler picked in the higher rounds?

So, who were these guys that the Sox and Jays picked in Round 11+ who were "first rounders", and how many of them were there, to compensate for the organizational filler picked in the higher rounds?

I think you're combining two separate thoughts into one. There are high upside guys who you could get in rounds 11+ and then there are guys in the supplemental, 2nd, and 3rd rounds that dropped for one reason or another that could have been selected in the 1st round or had better value than a normal second round pick or third round pick. The Orioles may have drafted a few guys in the 11th on who may fit into this category, but there were guys who were available in the 2nd that would have been great value for that pick. Mathisen, Rahier, Kelly in the second. A few other names that went in a few of the following rounds include Alford, Buttrey, and Romero. Houston drafted Virant in the 11th, but he may have been worth drafting in the first 10 and paired that pick with a punt pick to sign him. Jameis Winston went in the 15th to the Rangers. I don't know most of the players drafted, but these are names that I saw mentioned by Stotle, Baseball America, Keith Law, etc. who would have provided better value than what is expected at the pick the Orioles could have selected them.

The Red Sox signed three guys for under 10K so far and I think the Jays and Rangers drafted like 6 or 7 college seniors in the first 10 rounds for that purpose alone. One underslot guy with the 10th pick isn't the same.

Perhaps, this is because those three teams have a lower alloted budget than the Orioles.

Right. Your example definitely fits nicely with your point. I don't know that I'd hold it up as an example of an organization aggressively going after talent that fell due to cost -- more like an organization buying some lotto tickets.

I will bow to your greater knowledge on this point.

Archived