Tillman

whynot38

Very interesting a reporter came right out and asked him about his FB velocity being down tonight. Recommend watching the interview on MASNsports.com later for those who didn't see it.

Good tease. MASN should put you on the payroll.:) Care to give us a summary...I'm going to go search for it now.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

speed2.php-pitchSel=501957&game=gid_2012_08_06_seamlb_balmlb_1&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=.gif

He gets stronger as the game goes on, no doubt. Maybe shaking off the flu, a bit, but - like I said - I think he's probably a guy whose going to sit 92-93 and touch 95, but w/ his mechanics, there will likely be some ebb-and-flow to his velo.

Tillman has been battling the flu for a while, but he's finally back to full strength.

"I feel much better physically," he said. "This is probably the first night in a while I felt pretty much 100 percent. I felt good."

Tillman's velocity was down a few ticks, but he compensated for it.

"We talked about that a little bit and I had no reason," Tillman said. "I wasn't backing off any. I was giving everything I had tonight, so I don't have an answer for you there.

From Roch...

I've been impressed by how Tillman has been very pitch efficient and has gotten deep into several games. The way he bounced back after a tough first inning last time was impressive, too. Still some work to do but it seems fair to say that Tillman 4.0 is a more consistent and resourceful pitcher than the 2009-11 models.

To Lucky Jim -- my remark in the game thread last week wasn't intended as a shot at Tillman, it was a shot at those posters who sought to blame his earlier bad outing on Reynolds' error as though Tillman was totally blameless.

I've been impressed by how Tillman has been very pitch efficient and has gotten deep into several games. The way he bounced back after a tough first inning last time was impressive, too. Still some work to do but it seems fair to say that Tillman 4.0 is a more consistent and resourceful pitcher than the 2009-11 models.

To Lucky Jim -- my remark in the game thread last week wasn't intended as a shot at Tillman, it was a shot at those posters who sought to blame his earlier bad outing on Reynolds' error as though Tillman was totally blameless.

The people who supported - and by supported, I simply mean didn't denigrate him and didn't give up on him - Tillman have taken a huge amount of grief from other posters - if they were a bit defensive, it was probably because of that. Your shot was pretty bush league, IMO.

The people who supported - and by supported, I simply mean didn't denigrate him and didn't give up on him - Tillman have taken a huge amount of grief from other posters - if they were a bit defensive, it was probably because of that. Your shot was pretty bush league, IMO.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. You are welcome to review my posts in this and other threads and you will see that I have never been one to denigrate or give up on Tillman, or attack those who support him. But I hold all pitchers, Tillman included, responsible for minimizing the impact of defensive mistakes behind them. It ticked me off that people tried to lay that whole inning at Reynolds' feet. For every poster who denigrates Tillman there are ten who feel the need to make a federal case out of any failure by Reynolds.

Hats off to Tillman, great performance. Efficient, great K/BB ratio.

Hoping this carries over to his next start.

Hats off to Tillman, it may sound cruel ...

But you laughed at him when you said that he was through woo-woo ......

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. You are welcome to review my posts in this and other threads and you will see that I have never been one to denigrate or give up on Tillman, or attack those who support him. But I hold all pitchers, Tillman included, responsible for minimizing the impact of defensive mistakes behind them. It ticked me off that people tried to lay that whole inning at Reynolds' feet. For every poster who denigrates Tillman there are ten who feel the need to make a federal case out of any failure by Reynolds.

Well, I try to do neither. I think it's fair to note how a play could change a game, but obviously that inning was on Tillman. He looked bad - it was a disastrous start by any measure.

I'll be honest, I'm not thrilled with what I'm seeing these days, though the results are good. I'm still optimistic, though - because that FB/change combo is definitely major-league.

I'll be honest, I'm not thrilled with what I'm seeing these days, though the results are good. I'm still optimistic, though - because that FB/change combo is definitely major-league.

I'm thrilled with what I'm seeing, and will never get tired of seeing an Oriole pitcher make it to the eighth giving up just one run.

Style points are for figure skating and Olympic diving.

Agreed here. The consistent change up is going to make Tillman at least passable, because he didn't have that before, but his FB command hasn't been the same as it was since that first start, and Tillman has alluded to as much..

I'm thrilled with what I'm seeing, and will never get tired of seeing an Oriole pitcher make it to the eighth giving up just one run.

Style points are for figure skating and Olympic diving.

I'm not talking about style points. I'm looking for sustainable results and potential issues down the road.

This is a guy who just turned 24, has had many demotions and came back into an

effective pitcher who so far is 4-1, 2.70 ERA, 20K's. He has helped sustain a deeply

troubled rotation which lost 3/4 of its personnel in about three and a half weeks.

This is a guy who didnt give up a hit tonight till the fifth and that was through a

defensive shift. This is a guy who got into the 8th inning tonight and gets deeper in

ball games than any other pitcher. His walks are way down, and he throws strikes

with regularity. Whats not to be thrilled about?

No offense, Roy, but I've watched more Tillman this year than just about anyone on the board. When you go back and watch his minor league starts, and offer scouting reports on his stuff, get back to me. Thanks.

But here:

He needs to throw his curveball for strikes. He needs to locate better (down) within the zone. he needs to work on his mechanics are narrow some of the variation in his velo. He needs to make sure he keeps his change-up down and with fade. The curveball and the location are the real important issues.

I'm not talking about style points. I'm looking for sustainable results and potential issues down the road.

I agree that were some things I didn't like about Tillman's start tonight. His secondaries are still inconsistent, and he's hanging too many of them and getting away with it. The thing that I'm really excited about with him, though, is the improved fastball command. He's keeping the ball down, getting ground balls, and that's certainly something that is going to help him going forward.

I think to much is being made of Tillmans' improved, but still questionable fastball command. As long as he limits the walks I'm fine. He throws a consistent 4-seamer up in the zone at 93 mph. There are lot of pitchers, even aces today throwing that type of stuff down the middle and getting it done. Of course painting the corners is great, but I like Tillman being agressive in the zone.

Archived