Is there any chance that Gausman does not sign?

Swampdonks

This is where I am in this. I want Gausman to sign but from everything I've read he's not an impact guy like Bundy, Machado or Wieters. He'll sign and hopefully become a solid middle of the rotation starter,

Would it be correct to say that he's something of a Matusz-type coming out? Meaning, he's a very good bet to be decent at the least, but probably won't be better than pretty good.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would it be correct to say that he's something of a Matusz-type coming out? Meaning, he's a very good bet to be decent at the least, but probably won't be better than pretty good.

From what I read that's pretty accurate. At least he's supposed to be what Matusz was supposed to become. ;)

From what I read that's pretty accurate. At least he's supposed to be what Matusz was supposed to become. ;)

If there were crying in baseball, this comment would make me want to cry. ;) But, as we all know, there's no crying in baseball.

This is where I am in this. I want Gausman to sign but from everything I've read he's not an impact guy like Bundy, Machado or Wieters. He'll sign and hopefully become a solid middle of the rotation starter,

The more I think about it... the more I tend to agree. But I am just not sure how I feel about taking the FIRST pitcher in the draft, with 'hopes' that he becomes a solid middle of the rotation starter.

I think I would virtually always pick the 'high-probability, safe middle of the rotation starter' over the 'questionable probablity, high upside TOR starter'...

But when you have the choice of the first pitcher in the draft, and you pick 'Luke Hochevar'... I think you are wasting value.

***EDIT: Just to be clear, I wanted NO PART of Mark Appel. I remember telling my father on the night of the draft, "I'm going to have to get myself a new TV if they take Appel". I just don't think there was any pitcher worth taking at #4. I was hoping for a Appel-Buxton-Zunino 1-2-3 in order to get Correa. With Correa gone, I think I would have went Almora.

And to really get back to the subject, I don't think there is any chance Gausman doesn't sign. There is way too much for him to lose.

Baltimore Orioles general manager Dan Duquette is confident about the team's chances of signing first-round pick Kevin Gausman.

"We intend to sign him," Duquette told FOXSports.com in an interview Tuesday, hours before he planned to attend the All-Star Game at Kauffman Stadium ...

Duquette said the sides have made "progress" recently, adding that he's "confident" Gausman will become an Oriole.

Gausman, the fourth overall selection from Louisiana State, is the highest remaining unsigned pick.

(returning and re-entering the draft) That strategy carries substantial risk, particularly with the more restrictive rules on draft spending under the new collective bargaining agreement. Gausman could lose money if he returns to LSU for his junior season.

The recommended signing bonus for Gausman's draft slot is $4.2 million. The Orioles already have made him an offer that is "close" to that...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/baltimore-orioles-intend-to-sign-first-round-pick-lsu-pitcher-kevin-gausman-071012

The more I think about it... the more I tend to agree. But I am just not sure how I feel about taking the FIRST pitcher in the draft, with 'hopes' that he becomes a solid middle of the rotation starter.

I think I would virtually always pick the 'high-probability, safe middle of the rotation starter' over the 'questionable probablity, high upside TOR starter'...

But when you have the choice of the first pitcher in the draft, and you pick 'Luke Hochevar'... I think you are wasting value.

That's how I felt too at the time, but we didn't go after Appel due to signability issues. Ironic, because we can't seem to sign this guy, but we all KNOW that the Pirates won't get a shot at Appel.

That's how I felt too at the time, but we didn't go after Appel due to signability issues. Ironic, because we can't seem to sign this guy, but we all KNOW that the Pirates won't get a shot at Appel.

I think we had Gausman rated higher than Appel as did other clubs, as reported on draft night, and Stotle from this board.

Winning a college World Series is nice, but you don't walk away from the #4 overall pick. There are too many negative things that can happen vs. the positive. If he is serious about being a professional baseball player, you sign the damn contract as long as it's in range with slot (which it will be).

Archived