Joe Blanton claimed by Dodgers and sent there for cash

Greg

Chances are it's for a PTBNL like the Strop deal last year. Has to clear waivers or is on the DL.
And who might be on the DL currently for the A's? McCarthy. If he turns out to be the future consideration. I'll forget Blanton pretty quickly

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not about Blanton, as a few have said, it's more about us not improving when the opportunity(ies) arise.

MSK

Is Blanton really an improvement? Many people believe he would get lit up if he was pitching in the AL East. I wouldn't gamble $3M on somebody as questionable as Blanton if it was my team.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

Joe blanton claimed by #dodgers and sent there for cash. Not the philly pitcher we are looking at

This, IMO, shows that DD was correct in NOT making the deal. He wasn't worth what they wanted. And they proved it when they got nothing but cash back for him! Way to stick to your guns DD!

Is Blanton really an improvement? Many people believe he would get lit up if he was pitching in the AL East. I wouldn't gamble $3M on somebody as questionable as Blanton if it was my team.

We should have been in the mix for Grienke at the very least. You think he won't stay with the Angels once they give him a ton of money? This isn't a situation where the Orioles are 15 games out of 1st place, for the first time since 1997, we have a legit shot at the playoffs. While the odds are decidedly against us overall, simple improvements would push the odds in our favor.

It's not as if there weren't players available.

It's not as if they couldn't trade Matusz or Arrieta.

I've said this a trillion times over the years, the Orioles need to just go for it. Conservative, status-quo, non-movements don't create winners. Not in the long-term.

MSK

That's not the point. The O's should be acquiring players who might be an upgrade, no matter the cost, to banish the ghosts of failure from the attic of the Warehouse. It's not about winning more games, it's Angelos convincing the fans he's trying harder.

You dont have a multi million dollar business. $3 million shouldnt/isnt a lot of money to a MLB baseball team. Basically its double half a seasons MLB salary for a single player. Blanton is better than what we've been receiving from our 4 or 5 starters. There is really no excuse for this ...Its sad.

You dont have a multi million dollar business. $3 million shouldnt/isnt a lot of money to a MLB baseball team. Basically its double half a seasons MLB salary for a single player. Blanton is better than what we've been receiving from our 4 or 5 starters. There is really no excuse for this ...Its sad.

This /\/\

MSK

That's not the point. The O's should be acquiring players who might be an upgrade, no matter the cost, to banish the ghosts of failure from the attic of the Warehouse. It's not about winning more games, it's Angelos convincing the fans he's trying harder.

Blanton may or may not add some stability to the rotation, but I highly doubt he improves this particular team enough to make a difference. I get that fans want to see this team win and take risks. I want to see this team win and take risks that have the potential to make a difference. In my opinion, a move for Blanton does not have that potential and is not worth making for much more than cash considerations.

Like every other team in every sport the Orioles have a budget. Whether their budget is $60 million or $120 million there's a very reasonable argument that 11 starts of Joe Blanton should not be part of it for $3 million.

As to the rest of your post, I agree. Why bother getting Thome? But I suspect we come at that question from a different basis.

Like they are gonna use the 3 million on something else. I get tired of that line of thinking. The Pirates went out and got Wandy and added alot to help their team, without giving the Phillies 3 million for Joe Blanton. Its not about Blanton. Its more about this team did nothing to improve themselves. If your not serious about winning, why bother getting Thome? Petey think bringing in a future HOF might fill a few seats?

Like every other team in every sport the Orioles have a budget. Whether their budget is $60 million or $120 million there's a very reasonable argument that 11 starts of Joe Blanton should not be part of it for $3 million.

WHERE IS THE MASN MONEY? Wasn't some of that to be used to increase the payroll???????

Archived