We have to hit Jeter tomorrow if we get a good lead.

Gurgi

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're being logical, no it's not suspicious. It's not about being honest. It's about knowing baseball and using a little common sense. That doesn't mean that I don't think it's out of the realm that Buck sends a message.

Like I said earlier in the thread it comes down to the count. Why waste 2 pitches before throwing at someone if you're doing it intentionally (don't want to hear "to make it look unintentional, either"). He got the count to 0-2 in a close game. He went inside and missed, and got Nick instead. It happens. He did intend to pitch inside, and maybe he got a little close on purpose. But hit him? Makes no sense in that situation.

Barnaby most of your posts are pretty good...But the pitch wasn't intentional and it was obvious he though it hit the bat. I hate the Yankees as much as anybody...But let's keep it real.

See

Baseball has been played for a hundred years and there are tons of managers and players that would throw at Jeter weither it was intentional or an accident. You have to protect your guys. Or at least leave a fear of hitting our guys.

And you know there is just as much chance that Sabathia went inside because we had been blasting Yankee pitching all series and he wanted to buzz the tower. And maybe it got to close. For that mistake they deserve for one of their guys to pay.

That's the bottom line here. Intentional, unintentional, I hope Buck sends a harsh message back. Winning is more important but we're now playing a 23 game season and suddenly we're down our best player because of the Yankees.

Hell if Gregg makes it to the mound it might happen whether Showalter orders/condones it or not. And if Strop pitches today he might accidently strike out the side trying to hit someone.

Wow, can't believe I went to bed, woke up, and this thing is still going strong. :pain:

It should be easy to understand. It is the Yankees and they knocked Markakis out of the season. Accident or no its bound to piss people off.

It should be easy to understand. It is the Yankees and they knocked Markakis out of the season. Accident or no its bound to piss people off.

I meant the pissing match, not the sentiments. Though I woulda thought that by now some people would've slept on it and their anger would have come down to regular anger like levels.

I was listening to the game on the radio on the way home last night and Angel was talking about the heaps of praise Sabathia was giving to the Orioles. Reminded him of the Indian teams he used to be a part of in the mid-2000s. He didn't seem very douchy. Also, he is supposed to argue for a strike, he is supposed to care about the outcome for his team. Drilling Jeter? Really, that is what you want to be known for. This was an accident. It is not the end of our season. We move forward today with another win led by the big, harry man Mark Reynolds.

Excuse me? You throw a 90+ mph fastball with the intent of harming someone and you absolutely guarantee your not going to put them in the hospital with a cracked skull? Since when?

Intentionally hitting someone with the intent to hurt them isn't just stupid, it's criminal. I don't care what your name is or how many guys you've hit. Holding up Drysdale and Gibson as some kind of evidence that injuring people on purpose is some kind of acceptable practice is just idiotic.

You are not going to win any argument where you advocate intentionally hurting anyone. Just stop now.

Not only that, but it's largely hyperbole. There's this idea that guys like Drysdale and Gibson hit multiple batters a game just to keep 'em in line. Jeremy Guthrie has hit more batters per inning than Don Drysdale. In Bob Gibson's 1.12 ERA season he hit 7 of the 1161 batters he faced. He had almost twice as many shutouts as hit batsmen.

Not only that, but it's largely hyperbole. There's this idea that guys like Drysdale and Gibson hit multiple batters a game just to keep 'em in line. Jeremy Guthrie has hit more batters per inning than Don Drysdale. In Bob Gibson's 1.12 ERA season he hit 7 of the 1161 batters he faced. He had almost twice as many shutouts as hit batsmen.

I hate when you let facts get in the way...stop doing that.

Baseball has been played for a hundred years and there are tons of managers and players that would throw at Jeter weither it was intentional or an accident. You have to protect your guys. Or at least leave a fear of hitting our guys.

When I was a kid a guy backed into my parents' station wagon at a gas station. The only way he learned his lesson that day was when Dad backed up, got a good running start, and smashed into his car at 50 mph. It's the unwritten rules of the road.

You use a strawman argument. I never said that Drysdale and Gibson "hit multiple batters a game just to keep them in line" nor did I use their example to advocate for the hysterical "injuring people on purpose" response it elicited. Your comparison of Gibson to a wild pitcher like Guthrie has nothing to do with the original point I made which both of you missed, namely that Gibson and Drysdale did use message pitches in a specifically designed psychological fashion in order to respond to similar acts on the opposing team. But hey why not rebut a point that was never made with statistics that don't say anything except that Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale could control their pitches better than Jeremy Guthrie. Hyperbole is part of straw man arguments too.

My only response to this little gem is that I'm fine with letting our respective post histories dictate who is off base and who is rational.

And who finds joy in making personal attacks on fellow OH members? The only two people I have ever really had trouble with are you and Sports Guy.

Archived