Juan Pierre Rumor...

fish113d

How is it laughable when hes getting ob 2nd just as much as nick.

Juan Pierre has 127 TB, 20 BB, and 34 SB in 385 PA. That's .470 (TB+BB+SB)/PA.

Nick Markakis has 198 TB, 42 BB, and 1 SB in 471 PA. That's .512 (TB+BB+SB)/PA.

Now add in the runs that Markakis knocks in because of 44 XBH's (compared to Pierre's 14), and it's pretty obvious that Nick is a far more productive hitter. Quite simply...not only does Markakis' power overshadow Pierre's speed by simple numbers, but when you take into account that a double is more valuable than a single/walk and a SB, it's clear that Pierre is nowhere near Markakis' equal.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now add in the runs that Markakis knocks in because of 44 XBH's (compared to Pierre's 14), and it's pretty obvious that Nick is a far more productive hitter. Quite simply...not only does Markakis' power overshadow Pierre's speed by simple numbers, but when you take into account that a double is more valuable than a single/walk and a SB, it's clear that Pierre is nowhere near Markakis' equal.

Such an excellent post.

pierre, who could help the Orioles get to the playoffs but wouldn't be eligible for the playoff roster, would bring little back in return. The Phillies, meanwhile, have been hot lately, with eight wins in their last 10 games and a 15-6 record since Aug. 18.

Good post. Or in shorthand Nick leads Pierre in wOBA .357 to .328.

His career wOBA is .321, this year it's .328. His career wRC+ is 90, this year it's 104. He's playing better than his career averages. By offensive rate this is his 2nd best season in the past eight.
.007 wOBA? Really? You think that is a big deal? Well above his head? Easy on the hyperbole dottore.

.007 wOBA? Really? You think that is a big deal? Well above his head? Easy on the hyperbole dottore.

Hyperbole? Really? Two years in the last eight he's been a league-average hitter, and one of those happens to be this year, his age 35 season. I'm sure you'll quibble with anything I say here, but I'm going ahead and standing by this year as being over his head. I suspect even you'd have to call his season unexpectedly good and unlikely to repeat.

One good thing is scoring runs. Sort of the main idea of offense IMO. Pierre is 29th among active players in RS. He has scored a R every 7.1 AB, the same as Nick this season, and by comparison to AJ's every 6.45 AB. I'd say that has value.

You don't suspect that's at least partly due to him getting 700 PAs a year for 13 years, and mostly leading off? I think it says something when he's a 160-game a year leadoff man and he's scored more than 100 runs once. He scores a run once every 7.6 PAs. Nate McLouth scores one every 6.8!

Players that walk a ton and hit decently are good even if they have no power. Players that hit really well (like Ichiro in his prime) are good without power. Players that do these skills and steal bases at a good percentage (without getting caught) are better.

Juan Pierre hits ok, dosen't walk a ton, and doesn't hit for power. That's less than good, even when factoring his SB rate. Though, as Drungo pointed out, better than what we have now.

Nobody is saying Juan Pierre is going to replace Nick Markakis, but he's about as close as the Orioles are going to get without giving up top prospects. And how is batting .306 for the entire season just "ok." How many people on the Orioles are batting at or near .300? How many people in the entire league are batting over .300?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• romorr 1:02 If there was a Baltimore Oriole pitching prospect in next years top 100, can you give me your two best guesses? Baumeister and De Leon?   Eric A Longenhagen 1:02 nailed it with Baumeister i think   1:03 you guys are good at this and basically guessing the names in this next piece   jakefromboonesfarm 1:03 Lots of distance between major rankings of Kjerstad/Cowser, neither of whom blew any doors off in majors last year.  What separates them so much in your eval?   Eric A Longenhagen 1:04 Kjerstad's physicality and barrel control > Cowser. Cowser is a more discerning hitter but doesn't have nearly as much physical talent. Heston looked bulky and strong during '22 AFL, looked super cut and explosive in 2023, I thought he hit a different gear
    • Per Jake Rill on MLB Orioles Beat: “But I think it was good to be able to get into games to show me what I needed to work on and how to be a gamesman again.” Seth Johnson During the offseason and early in spring, Johnson’s focus has been on command and pitch mixing. The best offering in his four-pitch repertoire is a fastball that sits at 94-96 mph and can touch 98 mph. He also uses a slider, curveball and changeup, all effective pitches. Over his 10 1/3 innings last season, Johnson registered 14 strikeouts, but he also had a 1.35 WHIP with five walks. He’s still learning when it’s time not to force one of his offspeed pitches that may not be working on a given day and instead turn to one of his other offerings. On Tuesday, Johnson took the Ed Smith Stadium mound for live batting practice and had mixed results. He gave up a hard-hit ball off the center-field wall to Jackson Holliday, but he also struck out MLB Pipeline’s No. 1 overall prospect later in the session. Everybody in camp is intrigued by the potential of Johnson’s arm and what the future could hold for the righty, who was selected by Tampa Bay with the No. 40 overall pick in Competitive Balance Round A of the 2019 MLB Draft. “It’s a guy that’s got a really, really good arm,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “The rehab has gone extremely well, and he’s throwing the ball really well out here. A really talented kid.” Seth Johnson General manager Mike Elias also name-dropped Johnson on the first day of workouts last Thursday, when he was talking about the “real interesting pitchers” among the prospects in big league camp. Could Johnson pitch his way onto Baltimore’s Opening Day roster? Anything is possible this time of year. He’ll get plenty of opportunities to showcase his stuff during Grapefruit League action, and he could participate in Spring Breakout, the prospect showcase that will pit O’s youngsters against the Pirates’ blue-chip talent on March 14. But Johnson owns only three innings of Double-A experience and has never pitched at the Triple-A level. He understands he’s likely heading to a Minor League affiliate to begin 2024. Regardless, Johnson is eager for the upcoming season and ready to continue his ascension up the system. “I feel like I’m in a good spot,” Johnson said. “I trust the team’s judgment in whether I’m ready or not. I mean, you miss a whole year and get 10 innings, it’s kind of a lot to say that I’m ready to play at the highest level. I’m just going to go out there and try to control what I can control and see what happens.”
    • The problem isn’t that you said it then. The problem is you act as if that’s what it will be going forward. That you are all alone on. It certainly may turn out to be the case because you never know if the player will put in the necessary work but good luck finding someone that agrees with that and good luck finding anyone who doesn’t feel he will be a ML SS. 
    • The problem isn’t that you said it then. The problem is you act as if that’s what it will be going forward. That you are all alone on.
    • It's obviously a good problem to have if Holliday can improve to serviceable at SS but I just don't see it. The arm strength isn't the only thing that sticks out to me. I don't like his hips as a SS, I don't like how he bends at the waist to field groundballs.. I could keep going but we've beaten up this topic enough. I think we're having a different conversation about this altogether if Gunnar hadn't improved his consistency sooo much last year but he did. JH will get better, no doubt. The sky is the limit for him but it'll be as a 2B or an eventual move to the OF. 
    • I did get the email. I'm just waiting for my current MLB-TV subscription to expire on March 1. Thanks for the update. 
    • Waiver wire moves aren’t the sexiest transactions but 5-6 teams tried to DFA Castillo to get him to AAA and off their 40 man rosters. Well Elias was able to accomplish that, and in doing so picked up a player that if eligible would rank somewhere in between #20-#30 in our top prospects. He’s probably the equivalent to Cesar Prieto, who was one of the pieces we dealt at least year’s trade deadline. 
  • Popular Contributors