Juan Pierre Rumor...

fish113d

How is it laughable when hes getting ob 2nd just as much as nick.

Juan Pierre has 127 TB, 20 BB, and 34 SB in 385 PA. That's .470 (TB+BB+SB)/PA.

Nick Markakis has 198 TB, 42 BB, and 1 SB in 471 PA. That's .512 (TB+BB+SB)/PA.

Now add in the runs that Markakis knocks in because of 44 XBH's (compared to Pierre's 14), and it's pretty obvious that Nick is a far more productive hitter. Quite simply...not only does Markakis' power overshadow Pierre's speed by simple numbers, but when you take into account that a double is more valuable than a single/walk and a SB, it's clear that Pierre is nowhere near Markakis' equal.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now add in the runs that Markakis knocks in because of 44 XBH's (compared to Pierre's 14), and it's pretty obvious that Nick is a far more productive hitter. Quite simply...not only does Markakis' power overshadow Pierre's speed by simple numbers, but when you take into account that a double is more valuable than a single/walk and a SB, it's clear that Pierre is nowhere near Markakis' equal.

Such an excellent post.

pierre, who could help the Orioles get to the playoffs but wouldn't be eligible for the playoff roster, would bring little back in return. The Phillies, meanwhile, have been hot lately, with eight wins in their last 10 games and a 15-6 record since Aug. 18.

Good post. Or in shorthand Nick leads Pierre in wOBA .357 to .328.

His career wOBA is .321, this year it's .328. His career wRC+ is 90, this year it's 104. He's playing better than his career averages. By offensive rate this is his 2nd best season in the past eight.
.007 wOBA? Really? You think that is a big deal? Well above his head? Easy on the hyperbole dottore.

.007 wOBA? Really? You think that is a big deal? Well above his head? Easy on the hyperbole dottore.

Hyperbole? Really? Two years in the last eight he's been a league-average hitter, and one of those happens to be this year, his age 35 season. I'm sure you'll quibble with anything I say here, but I'm going ahead and standing by this year as being over his head. I suspect even you'd have to call his season unexpectedly good and unlikely to repeat.

One good thing is scoring runs. Sort of the main idea of offense IMO. Pierre is 29th among active players in RS. He has scored a R every 7.1 AB, the same as Nick this season, and by comparison to AJ's every 6.45 AB. I'd say that has value.

You don't suspect that's at least partly due to him getting 700 PAs a year for 13 years, and mostly leading off? I think it says something when he's a 160-game a year leadoff man and he's scored more than 100 runs once. He scores a run once every 7.6 PAs. Nate McLouth scores one every 6.8!

Players that walk a ton and hit decently are good even if they have no power. Players that hit really well (like Ichiro in his prime) are good without power. Players that do these skills and steal bases at a good percentage (without getting caught) are better.

Juan Pierre hits ok, dosen't walk a ton, and doesn't hit for power. That's less than good, even when factoring his SB rate. Though, as Drungo pointed out, better than what we have now.

Nobody is saying Juan Pierre is going to replace Nick Markakis, but he's about as close as the Orioles are going to get without giving up top prospects. And how is batting .306 for the entire season just "ok." How many people on the Orioles are batting at or near .300? How many people in the entire league are batting over .300?

Archived