Today's Cincinnati Enquirer -

TheBee

I really want Cueto too. He's looking good so far in the Dominican winter league:

4-1, 2.84 in 6 starts.

31.2 IP, 31H & 37:7 K:BB ratio + only 1 home run allowed.

I am telling you, you should plan a trip to go see some winter league action. I bet that would be amazing for you since you follow this so closely.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loo just gave up baseball out of the blue. The Reds still have his rights but he didn't play at all last year. Not sure how that will affect the Dodgers.

I saw people here wondering about Milton Loo, so I asked what happened. I also asked if he'd heard anything about the Dodgers definitely being out of the Bedard situation now (like most of us seem to think).

Not me, the guy just screams injury with his build and makeup.

As far as the build goes, that was Tommy LaSorda's famous concern about Pedro Martinez that caused LA to deal him for Delino DeShields.

I will admit being a little surprised that the Reds have let him pitch so much this winter after he logged over 161 innings at 3 minor league levels this season. He's up to 193 innings in 2007 when you add in winter ball.

What about Cueto's makeup makes you think he's an injury risk?

Cueto, Votto and Hamilton seals the deal, but I can't see the Reds doing both Votto AND Hamilton. So.... where can we meet the Reds to make us both happy?

Nice work, Greg.

I would be willing to add to the deal to get Hamilton, who I think has a chance to be great for at least half a dozen years. He is a nearly unique case; I can't of any other instance of a four-year gap in service time. So I think we may have to give less weight to the usual ways of looking at players. But looking at what he put his body through those years...

and basically not playing the game at all during that time...

then stepping into the majors with a .921 right from the get...

factoring in his obviously immense tools...

...his 07 season may have been just a start.

I would be curious to know how the Reds value Bailey vs. Cueto. I like 'em both, but I have a hunch that some of the luster may have worn off Bailey just because he got knocked around somewhat this year. At age 21, I probably would have given him the full year at AAA.

Cueto meanwhile may have become the flavor of the month for having moved through the system so quickly.

One thing I like to look for is the transition to AA, especially if it is at a young age. Both of these guys made the jump with no problems. A great sign.

Loo just gave up baseball out of the blue. The Reds still have his rights but he didn't play at all last year. Not sure how that will affect the Dodgers.

I saw people here wondering about Milton Loo, so I asked what happened. I also asked if he'd heard anything about the Dodgers definitely being out of the Bedard situation now (like most of us seem to think).

Milton Loo apparently retired because he missed his family too much. They were too far from him in Hawaii. The Reds apparently cut a deal with him that allowed him to keep a portion of his signing bonus while they control his rights for 4 more years.

I am telling you, you should plan a trip to go see some winter league action. I bet that would be amazing for you since you follow this so closely.

That's the plan Agent Orange. My passport never arrived for a scheduled trip two years ago, and I've been too (happily) distracted by daddy duties since then.

The only question with Bailey for me is his potential attitude issues that have been brought up here recently. The issue that he may not have much interest in baseball...I find that hard to believe and if we can be sure that was unfound rumors, that I may prefer him. He was 21 last year pitching with the Reds, and he was one of the hottest prospect to make his debut since Hamels. Cueto may be the real deal or may be the flavor of the month.

Loewen, Cueto/Bailey, Patton, Penn, Guthrie, Cabrera, Olson, Liz...Wow! Guthrie could perhaps become available in a trade for a young SS or 2B.

I really hope Guthrie stays here as long as he is effective enough to be a big league pitcher.

The guy has demonstrated in every possible way that he's grateful & proud to be a Baltimore Oriole. That counts.

Stubbs is an athlete first, baseball player second.

But if he is the third player in the trade, it would be ok but there are a lot of other guys i would rather have.

Most Reds guys arent high on Stubbs and would gladly give up on him. He seems a little old for his level but I guess one good season could get him on pace!

I have a feeling, and BB and Peace have alluded to this as well, that we are going to go all out to sign Tex as the face of our franchise. That may cool their interest on Votto, not because of his talent or value, but because of 1B.

It would be a shame if the prospect of signing Teixeira influenced their thinking on this trade. There are many reason why this might not pan out.

IMO the Bedard deal is the biggest move this franchise has made or will make in many seasons. They need to get it right without extraneous considerations clouding the decision. (That also includes the ridiculous prohibition on trading within the division).

Stubbs is an athlete first, baseball player second.

But if he is the third player in the trade, it would be ok but there are a lot of other guys i would rather have.

I personally would prefer Maloney to Stubbs, even with our depth of pitching. I see Stubbs as a fourth outfielder.

It would be a shame if the prospect of signing Teixeira influenced their thinking on this trade. There are many reason why this might not pan out.

IMO the Bedard deal is the biggest move this franchise has made or will make in many seasons. They need to get it right without extraneous considerations clouding the decision. (That also includes the ridiculous prohibition on trading within the division).

I agree and the nice thing with the AL in the DH! Even if we land Tex, Votto could certainly be moved. Again this needs to be a continuing process over the years to stay young and deep.

Archived