Orioles vs. Oak - 9/16/12

WEAVERMAN

Just saying. You're talking about Adam's inability to lay off bad pitches. There are plenty of guys, and I mean high-caliber players, with waaaaaaaay more strike outs than Jones. Hell, Kemp struck out 170 times last season.

I'm not saying that they aren't better players. I'm taking issue with your "elite players know how to lay off bad pitches" stance, since that's clearly not true. Elite players hit for power and get on base, and preferably play good enough defense to not take away from their offense.

Jones has been worth $17.5 million this year, if you were to go out and try to sign a free agent of his value on the open market based off of the amount of wins he adds. I'd say he's being paid fairly.

Never said they didn't. I also didn't really associate the K with being elite. I've seen Adam swing at alot of low and away slides, and hit a weak fly ball to right. I guess the elite hitters get more out of the AB in which they don't K, than Adam does. Its not a knock against Jones, I said he's a very good player. Just not elite to me. Its opinion. If you think he's elite, that's fine.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
weams, btw, Brady and Frank are tied for highest SLG in a season at .637. 1966/1996

But there are a bunch of seasons higher than Jones this year. Frank himself had four more O's seasons higher than .506. Palmeiro has some. Boog. Cal.

Maybe they were talking about just CFs?

No b/c they also listed Albert Belle as no. 2 (no Frank et al at all!).

Hey, if they leave Brian in to close this out, does he get a save? He came in with the score within 2 runs I think.
I think so.

If you pitch 3 innings or more and finish the game on the winning side, and your team was ahead when you came in and never trailed, you get a save, regardless of what the run differential was when you entered the game.

Wait a minute.

I forgot that Wolf didn't go 5 innings in the first place.

Matusz might even get the win if he finishes the game.

I wish everyone wd just lay off Endy until the end of the season. He came into today's game 16 for 53 (.302 BA) since June 5; with today's 3 for 3 he's up to .339 over his last 56 official ABs. He puts the ball into play (only 7 Ks over that period), where his speed can cause things to happen. Defensively, he also more than cancels the loss of Markakis in RF. I find it incomprehensible that some people actually want Hoes out there instead.

Well, ok, if you put it that way...

Never said they didn't. I also didn't really associate the K with being elite. I've seen Adam swing at alot of low and away slides, and hit a weak fly ball to right. I guess the elite hitters get more out of the AB in which they don't K, than Adam does. Its not a knock against Jones, I said he's a very good player. Just not elite to me. Its opinion. If you think he's elite, that's fine.

They do, and my argument isn't that he is. I merely stated that he's close. I don't associate strike outs with being elite, but I also don't associate with a particular pitch being kryptonite a barrier from being elite. What's going to keep Adam from reaching that plateau, if he doesn't, is that he doesn't get on base enough. His OBP is .336. All those other guys you mentioned are up near .400. He's also a very different player. His defense is significantly better than a lot of those guys as well.

Archived