End of the road for "these" Yankees?

Orange_Crush

I had to laugh when the writer said the new Steinbrenner had "newfound frugality". Must be nice to be spoiled not just with a $220M payroll, but one about $70M higher than the next team or two and still complain about frugality.

It would be interesting to see the NYY offseason. They could try to keep this team intact and go for a major pitcher free agent or two, but the offense is getting old and the team would need ARod and Tex to arrest their declines and Jeter to put up another banner year just to make the playoffs - the offense would be amazingly dependent on Cano remaining healthy and productive. Or the NYY could let a lot of these guys leave via FA and gather a buttload (means "a lot" in some languages) of draft picks. That would probably mean a few couple years of missing the playoffs unless they bring in new FAs to replace the ones who left (and still net draft picks). NYY is not the type of organization to plan on entering a season without a near lock to make the playoffs, however, so it will be interesting to see how they plot it.

Of course, a healthy and productive Pineda here, a Dan Haren signing there, and suddenly the NYY are fairly tough on paper. We'll see.

It will not be a team to be intimidated by, however, given it's a bunch of mercenaries.

Or the NYY could let a lot of these guys leave via FA and gather a buttload (means "a lot" in some languages) of draft picks. That would probably mean a few couple years of missing the playoffs unless they bring in new FAs to replace the ones who left (and still net draft picks).

The new CBA makes it more difficult to acquire a ton of draft picks. Teams only get a single pick in the supplemental round for free agents who decline one-year deals worth an average of the top 125 player's salary (around $12-13 million). I can't see any Yankee near free agency other than Cano declining a one-year $12 million deal.

How sickening and twisted is MLB is when your team is a failure when you don't win the World Series every year. Meanwhile we all feel like kids on Christmas morning to have ANY postseason.

Baseball has been broken for way too long.

Trying living here in NJ or NY and dealing with the perceived entitlement of Yankee fans every year.

How sickening and twisted is MLB is when your team is a failure when you don't win the World Series every year. Meanwhile we all feel like kids on Christmas morning to have ANY postseason.

If it makes you feel any better, our payroll had nothing to do with how bad we were from 1998-2011. Well, maybe a little...but not much.

Can you imagine if this team had Pineda and Gardner healthy the entire year. A lot less close in the AL East I bet.

Hard to say. What if Toronto's starting rotation hadn't been decimated by injuries, Longoria had played most of the season for Tampa, and Markakis, Reimold, and Hammel hadn't been hurt?

Can you imagine if this team had Pineda and Gardner healthy the entire year. A lot less close in the AL East I bet.
Hard to say. What if Toronto's starting rotation hadn't been decimated by injuries' date=' Longoria had played most of the season for Tampa, and Markakis, Reimold, and Hammel hadn't been hurt?[/quote']

Boston lost 1,317 games to injury if you include Lackey.

Baltimore lost 1,123 games to injury if you include Wada.

Toronto lost 1,098 games to injury if you include McGowan and Litsch.

New York lost 1,024 games to injury if you include Pineda.

Tampa lost 946 games to injury if you include Chirinos.

Very tough year for injuries in the AL East.

Bud's playoff schemes are working. They're generating more money than ever, and they're successfully randomizing outcomes. If MLB had kept the pre-division playoff setup where only two teams make the playoffs the Yanks would likely have 35-40 World Series wins. If not more.

I've long since given up on the idea that MLB would come up with a workable plan to proactively level revenues. They've had 140 years to work on that, have completely failed, and don't even seem interested in trying anymore. The only real hope for that is the natural demise of TV and RSN revenues, and shifting all of that to shared sources like online.

I could see Rivera turning down 1/12 and retiring. I could see Itchy turning it down. Granderson? Swisher? Pettitte?

Yeah, but they only get the comp pick if the player then signs elsewhere. You are right about Granderson and Swisher though. Still they each generate only one comp pick rather than two.

As easily as the Yankees losing the next 2 games in Detroit, they could also go 4-0 or 4-1 and winning the series.

I love hearing Yankee fans crying into their hands fitted with those 27 rings they keep reminding everyone about. But many people have counted them out in the past only to choke on their words.

All this said however, it does look like the Yankees are headed for some trouble.

Trying living here in NJ or NY and dealing with the perceived entitlement of Yankee fans every year.

But something comes with the territory of that perceived entitlement ....... when you have that sense of entitlement and your team doesn't at least win the pennant and make it to the World Series, you look upon your team as failures. So in that aspect, only 3 times in the last 11 seasons have Yankee fans been able to save face.

So, they can walk around all season long with their noses in the air, only to have said noses rubbed in **** when their team comes up short.

Archived