BlueJays on verge of acquiring Josh Johnson

Greg

You don't think waiting until after the waiver deadline, had anything to do with saving some on the remaining salary?

These strawman arguments they keep coming up with are hilarious.

The facts are the Giants had 4 huge salaries at the top of their payroll, and solid depth down the entire roster that helped them win a World Series. Period.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you. It's the equivalent of the Giants complaining after the Dodgers acquired Hanely, Crawford, AGon, and Beckett. How'd that work out?

That's still up for debate. If the 2013 Dodgers win 100 games and the WS, i'd say it worked out just fine, and i'm sure the Dodgers and the owners would agree. And the Giants had a payroll of 117 mil and a projected 2013 payroll of 130. And that's without any moves.

The facts are the Giants had 4 huge salaries at the top of their payroll, and solid depth down the entire roster that helped them win a World Series. Period.

And the Giants projected payroll for 2013 is 130 mil. Yet, they are still rumored to have an interest in Nick Swisher. Imagine, a team that just won the WS, willing to spend to further improve? Yet, we should be happy to just have made the playoffs.

Strawman arguments? That says a lot coming from you.

I'd love too see your argument for how huge salaries to Aaron Rowand, Aubrey Huff, and Barry Zito = 2012 World Series champions. The other two you speak of were home grown.

That's still up for debate. If the 2013 Dodgers win 100 games and the WS, i'd say it worked out just fine, and i'm sure the Dodgers and the owners would agree.

So we are willing to wait to see how things work out for the Dodgers, but we can't wait to see if these moves pan out or fail spectacularly for the Blue Jays or to see what the Orioles do this offseason?

Strawman arguments? That says a lot coming from you.

I'd love too see your argument for how huge salaries to Aaron Rowand, Aubrey Huff, and Barry Zito = 2012 World Series champions. The other two you speak of were home grown.

And the bolded, added to money they spent on Edgar Renteria didn't help them win the WS in 2010?

Heres a breakdown I found of the last 16 WS Champions

In the last 16 years: World Series Winners in terms of payroll:

- Top 10: 11/16 = 68.75%

- Middle 10: 4/16 = 25%

- Bottom 10: 1/16 = 6.25%

So we are willing to wait to see how things work out for the Dodgers, but we can't wait to see if these moves pan out or fail spectacularly for the Blue Jays or to see what the Orioles do this offseason?

All that matters right now is that we spend money. I don't care how we do it, or who it is on, but we have got to spend money. If the player doesn't want more than $10m a year, I don't want him. Give me Grienke, Hamilton, and trade for Butler or I'll be really angry and litter the board with comments about how horrible ownership is, how he's just pocketing the money, and how I'm not going to go to the games anymore and support this money grubbing owner. Why can't we be more like the Red Sox or the Yankees? Where is all the MASN money? blah, blah, blah.

I'm concerned about what the Orioles do. One season hasn't erased the prior 14 for me. History shows, the O's will not make many if any major moves. I waited 14 years until 2012, and if the O's didn't defy every odd, we'd be talking about going on 16 straight losing seasons. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but that's the way I feel.

I'm concerned about what the Orioles do. One season hasn't erased the prior 14 for me. History shows, the O's will not make many if any major moves. I waited 14 years until 2012, and if the O's didn't defy every odd, we'd be talking about going on 16 straight losing seasons. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but that's the way I feel.

Honestly, we've heard this every offseason forever. It is what it is. You don't have to convince just about anyone that Angelos isn't going to suddenly allow the O's to increase their payroll another $30 million. There's no sense in beating that dead horse.

All that matters right now is that we spend money. I don't care how we do it, or who it is on, but we have got to spend money. If the player doesn't want more than $10m a year, I don't want him. Give me Grienke, Hamilton, and trade for Butler or I'll be really angry and litter the board with comments about how horrible ownership is, how he's just pocketing the money, and how I'm not going to go to the games anyone and support this money grubbing owner. Why can't we be more like the Red Sox or the Yankees? Where is all the MASN money? blah, blah, blah.

Why would I want Butler? He's only due 8 million in 2013. :rolleyes:.

I don't agree with that. Our pythagorean W/L was 82-80.

I also think we have a competent GM for once. One that knows how to work within PA's constraints.

Honestly, we've heard this every offseason forever. It is what it is. You don't have to convince just about anyone that Angelos isn't going to suddenly allow the O's to increase their payroll another $30 million. There's no sense in beating that dead horse.

I get that. But it gets just as old, when people act as though the O's have one foot in the poor house.

I don't agree with that. Our pythagorean W/L was 82-80.

I also think we have a competent GM for once. One that knows how to work within PA's constraints.

That was because of a late season run. Their pythagorean was much lower then that, for the first 3/4 of the season.

We all thought AM was competent too, and knew how to build a low budget contender. That went well.

Archived