BlueJays on verge of acquiring Josh Johnson

Greg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AA always said the Jays would spend big money when they were ready. He wasn't kidding... good god.

The Marlins should be penalized by MLB for doing this every couple of years - they are a straight up joke of a franchise.

I'm not shaking in my boots at the Jays yet, but this does change things in the AL East. Gonna be interesting.

Could not disagree more with this. The Marlins have had a lot of success - more than we have over the past 15 years. They'll parlay this into some kind of amazing retooling. I don't think they generally get screwed in major deals.

True, but I also remember seeing two teams in the WS, that were willing to take on money.

Nah man, every single free agent in the history of the game with a proven track record that costs money, has "crippled" the team, become an "albatross", and killed "payroll flexibility" leading to years of losses. Those guys never help teams win, it is all bad the day those deals are signed. Teams that ended up winning it all never have any premium free agents. Ever. It is the other way around, they help their new teams lose, not win.

True, but I also remember seeing two teams in the WS, that were willing to take on money.

Spending more money doesn't always mean a better result on the field. I'm all for the Orioles spending money, but there are intelligent ways to spend money. The Giants payroll is almost comically mismanaged, but then again, the real goal is getting to the playoffs in the first place.

Nah man, every single free agent in the history of the game with a proven track record that costs money, has "crippled" the team, become an "albatross", and killed "payroll flexibility" leading to years of losses. Those guys never help teams win, it is all bad the day those deals are signed. Teams that ended up winning it all never have any premium free agents. Ever. It is the other way around, they help their new teams lose, not win.

I remember folks saying the O's would regret signing Matt Holliday. I wonder if the Cards share that sentiment?

Cute.

Who was the Giants big name FA? Barry Zito?

Ah! I see what you did there. You have the internet figured out, don't you? :P

Spending more money doesn't always mean a better result on the field. I'm all for the Orioles spending money, but there are intelligent ways to spend money. The Giants payroll is almost comically mismanaged, but then again, the real goal is getting to the playoffs in the first place.

Good post. I'm not for a 20+ mil player at each position. But you got a game changer in Hamilton available, and we immediately hear the O's are looking at names like Gomes, Ross, Willingham, and bringing McLouth back. I know it's early in the offseason, but these are backup plans that should be options C and D, after you fail to land Hamilton. I guess the O's expect to lose that hand of poker, so why not fold early I guess.

And? Oh and BTW the Marlins are not going to have a $20 million payroll, it will be about $40-50 million. That tweet from Bowdon was completely inaccurate if that is what you were using for that estimate. I did the real math a few pages back. Actually I just looked, they had a $118 million payroll last year. Take about 39.75 off for next year and they still are around 78 million. Is that not a MLB payroll?

There aren't any rules to prevent this are there? This is what you get when you have the wild wild west and no salary rules or guidelines. Anything goes.

Jays are taking on salary, Marlins are getting expiring cheaper contracts and 2 good young players in the deal.

Happens all the time.

You realize they dumped Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, and Heath Bell, among others too. They firesaled during the season.

Archived