BlueJays on verge of acquiring Josh Johnson

Greg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was because of a late season run. Their pythagorean was much lower then that, for the first 3/4 of the season.

We all thought AM was competent too, and knew how to build a low budget contender. That went well.

AM never built a playoff team in Baltimore. And the late season team isn't going to be too much different from the team in April according to you, so that should be a good thing.

AM never built a playoff team in Baltimore. And the late season team isn't going to be too much different from the team in April according to you, so that should be a good thing.

Where did I say that? As is, this might be an 80-82 win team. That's IF McLouth and Reynolds are back. Resigning McLouth and bringing in Gomes/Ross/Napoli isn't going to change that.

Olney just said on ESPN that the O's aren't going to add a major player this winter.

That's disappointing if true (I wonder what makes him so confident) I understand not signing Hamilton if things escalate with him money wise, but not even making a trade to add a bat? I like our SP depth, I really do, but we really need a #3 or #4 hitter. If we do nothing to address that, then I will be disappointed.

My ideal scenario that would push me into fan delirium would be to sign Hamilton to a 4 year deal and trade for a Butler-type bat. I won't get my hopes up too much for something like that, but at the very least we need another bat and have the resources to try to trade for one.

That's disappointing if true (I wonder what makes him so confident) I understand not signing Hamilton if things escalate with him money wise, but not even making a trade to add a bat? I like our SP depth, I really do, but we really need a #3 or #4 hitter. If we do nothing to address that, then I will be disappointed.

My ideal scenario that would push me into fan delirium would be to sign Hamilton to a 4 year deal and trade for a Butler-type bat. I won't get my hopes up too much for something like that, but at the very least we need another bat and have the resources to try to trade for one.

Let's hope he is wrong....and we definitely need another SP or two. Injuries happen and we cannot count on Hammel to pitch like last year and Gonzo to be the same pitcher. We need more....

Why would I want Butler? He's only due 8 million in 2013. :rolleyes:.

Got me again sly guy. :rolleyes:

Look, you get the point, I'm not going to sit here and raise my pitch forks and torches with you about team payroll. I'm not going to gripe at every deal that goes by and claim the O's should have done it, or complain they haven't backed up the truck to Josh Hamilton. It's the middle of November! Please enjoy spouting your dissatisfaction for the state of the franchise while clinging to every rumor and tweet you can read on MLB trade rumors over the next 4 months. Don't forget to hit refresh at least once every 5 seconds. I personally don't feel the need to somehow spin every minute rumor, trade, and acquistition into a bashing fest for the ineptitude of the franchise. It's not constructive discussion. I get it, you want Josh Hamilton, or you want Billy Butler, you'd love to have both. Wouldn't most of us? I think we all would at varying points.

What is it you're really striving for here? A general consensus from the board that we should have a $130m+ payroll? What does that really matter if it's not actually going to happen? Would you like us to organize protest groups and stand outside the warehouse? It's pointless. I enjoy speculating trades and talking about FA's as much as the next guy, but whining about payroll provides practically zero to the conversation. It's not fun, there is no strategy associated with it, and the reality of what it can be is completely subjective, and based on scant information most of us know little about. That said, feel free to keep saying it 30 times a day, I'm sure you'll convert us all into payroll police sooner or later.

Let's hope he is wrong....and we definitely need another SP or two. Injuries happen and we cannot count on Hammel to pitch like last year and Gonzo to be the same pitcher. We need more....

For me, I really am OK with going into the season with the starters we have. Now, if we make a trade for a bat using our starters, then I think we should sign an Edwin Jackson or Anibal Sanchez. We'll see how things shake out.

Got me again sly guy. :rolleyes:

Look, you get the point, I'm not going to sit here and raise my pitch forks and torches with you about team payroll. I'm not going to gripe at every deal that goes by and claim the O's should have done it, or complain they haven't backed up the truck to Josh Hamilton. It's the middle of November! Please enjoy spouting your dissatisfaction for the state of the franchise while clinging to every rumor and tweet you can read on MLB trade rumors over the next 4 months. Don't forget to hit refresh at least once every 5 seconds. I personally don't feel the need to somehow spin every minute rumor, trade, and acquistition into a bashing fest for the ineptitude of the franchise. It's not constructive discussion. I get it, you want Josh Hamilton, or you want Billy Butler, you'd love to have both. Wouldn't most of us? I think we all would at varying points.

What is it you're really striving for here? A general consensus from the board that we should have a $130m+ payroll? What does that really matter if it's not actually going to happen? Would you like us to organize protest groups and stand outside the warehouse? It's pointless. I enjoy speculating trades and talking about FA's as much as the next guy, but whining about payroll provides practically zero to the conversation. It's not fun, there is no strategy associated with it, and the reality of what it can be is completely subjective, and based on scant information most of us know little about. That said, feel free to keep saying it 30 times a day, I'm sure you'll convert us all to payroll police sooner or later.

I'm not trying to convert anyone's thinking. You don't have to agree with me, just like I don't have to agree with you. I also don't need to write post's, soley in an attempt to talk down to another poster. And this is the second one you have directed at me. What does that add to the conversation?

But Buster Olney said the Orioles are one of seven teams in the running for the mystery team that is considering not bidding on Josh Hamilton. As a fan, what else is he to do but declare the offseason a failure and DD a cheapstake? He's really left with no choice in the matter. It's not like patience is an option.

You know, i've been respectful. But, i'm getting kind of tired of your mocking. If you don't my opinions, that's fine. But, you sure feel the need to respond to them all.

I'm not trying to convert anyone's thinking. You don't have to agree with me, just like I don't have to agree with you. I also don't need to write post's, soley in an attempt to talk down to another poster. And this is the second one you have directed at me. What does that add to the conversation?

I think it adds just a little more than these gems...

It would be dumb for the O's to make that trade. A small market team like the O's cant afford to take on that kind of money :rolleyes:
Yep. They better increase their offer to McLouth and pick up the pace on getting Gomes signed.
Large market teams like Toronto can afford to take on money to make deals
Obviously, you buy the "Angelos" can't afford to spend "theory". Thats fine too. Never said the fan's control the payroll. The BALTIMORE MEDIA everyday, makes us aware that the O's aren't going to spend money. Sorry for submitting you to reading the crap I post. I wasn't aware you were forced to do so.

Yet you took the time to quote them, and repost them. If you think an attempt to talk down to someone on the internet, is meaningful conversation, then that says alot about the type of person you are. You can put me on ignore if you want. I don't feel the need to put you on ignore, because personally I could care less about your opinions of me.

I can only hope OH earns additional revenue because I have to now log in just to activate my ignore list. No more merely lurking and reading the news, updates, well founded opinions.

Looks like a panic trade on the part of AA to me. Bernardina and Johnson are the only Mia players in that deal with a chance to be worth the money owed to them. Decent prospects headed back not to mention the major league ready talent. I wonder if one could get odds on Alvarez out-performing Johnson/Buehrle next season? AA witnessed the O's success, imagined a window of opportunity had opened due to the Boston kerfuffle and NY "transition" so made the biggest splash deal he could negotiate. Toronto is a sleeping giant that would likely wreak havoc in the AL if the owners' assembled a top management team.

The sweet smell of desperation emanating from one of our opponents .... aaaaaahhhhhh nice.

Archived